Chaos Jigging Rod

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by sbarracl, Dec 11, 2008.

1. sbarracl

sbarracl Member

Anybody use one of the new Chaos jigging rods? I just ordered a 7', 60-100 lb rod and haven't found much info on them.

I just bought a Saragosa 18000 to put on the rod. I plan to use it for Northeast SBFT to jig and cast. I want a rod that can both jig and cast poppers reasonably well as I don't plan on buying two seperate rigs.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Do you find you really want differnt rods for jigging versus popping?

2. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i like two differnet rods. one shorted for more lifting power while jigging. longer for better distance with topwater.

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

although unnecessary, two different setups are ideal. but if you only had one rod i would get a 7fter. a 7 ft rod is pretty versatile.

4. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Chaos produces a great fighting blanks. Most of my rods come from Chaos. The only thing about their blanks that they are heavy. So if you plan to use it for deep jigging all day make sure it stays light. Call and speak to Luis and let him know.

5. sbarracl

sbarracl Member

Thanks for the input. I have some Chaos stand up trolling rods and I really like them. I was looking at their STSP 15-50 stand up spinning rod when I called them. When I told them the reel I was going to use (Saragosa 18000) and what I wanted to do with it, they suggested their 60-100 lb spin jigging rod. They said it is a much smaller diam blank that can flex a lot more than the stand up spin rod, hence the 60-100 lb rating. They said it would be lighter and stronger, but about the same stiffness as the stand up rod.

I decided to give it a try, even though the price was $200 versus $150 for the other rod. I bought it last week at 20% off, so I got a good deal. After I bought it I decided I really didn't know much about the rod, and started to wonder if it will cast reasonably well. I now "get" the difference between a jigging rod and a popping rod, but the budget can only support one setup. I haven't become "obsessed" quite yet with tackle and specialty gear, so I don't think I am a "tackle whore" quite yet. Denial is bliss, but I just want an alternative to trolling for tuna if they are on top. Chaos is very truthful about their rods and haven't steered me wrong yet. I haven't got the rod yet, hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.