360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to this forum and pretty much all of offshore fishing. I have a pair of shimano trevala rods and has black aluminum gimbals. I really love the gold gimbals that come on the OTI rods and was wondering if anyone has any tips on changing them out? I found the gold gimbals on mudhole.com and it comes in different sizes. Which ones to pick and how is it installed? Can it be done? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

G

·
This is going to be a big job and probably not worth it. I don't know of any ways to get to the rod under the gimbal other than cutting the gimbal with a Dremmel or something. Then you'd need to make sure that you buy the right length and width of the replacement gimbal. You'd grind down the epoxy to the blank and re-epoxy the new gimbal back on.

Maybe someone else knows better than I do, but I'd say learn to live with it...

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
sometimes you can use a little heat, and break it free.

a dremel is easy, just cut a slice down the side, you can pry apart.

when you get it off, you can measure the stem, and get one that will fit over.
you can build up the area with tape to fit the new one .

and just use expoxy to glue on.
feel free to call if you want me to walk you thru it.
its a pretty easy fix.

·
3,718 Posts
I just put rubber gimbals on a couple of my trevalas.(I love the rubber gimbals) It wasn't very tough to do. Obviously not for everyone,but if you are mechanically inclined. Pretty simple. Do what Paul suggested.I like to build things up with string and epoxy instead of tape,but either will do.

·
1,657 Posts
Jim I think I'll try it I my saltiga jogging
rod aswell

I like those diawa rods with a little shorter butt section, so I just cut off the existing gimbal with a hack saw right at the top of the gimbal where it meets the foam. Then trimmed off about an inch of the foam above where the old gimbal was and stuck on the new rubber gimbal with rod epoxy. This slightly shortened the overall butt length. Nothing to it.

I heated one of them up and pulled out the old section of rod inside, which is how I know the heat works. Then recycled the old plastic gimbal when I made this camera mount not long ago.

·
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips. Will definitely try it soon. For a moment, I thought the gimbals were threaded. I will post some before and after pics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts