360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Chandeluer Islan Report

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  gman 
#1 ·
OK, Im back from the marathon trip. Im beat, the trips hads its ups and downs. The main thing to keep in mind was the water temps were in the high 90's. I could end this post right now after making that comment and Im sure you could draw your own conclusion...the fishing stunk, period end of sentence.

The highs ...beautiful islands, awesome sky's, nice hot weather, great friends and awesome food and ofcourse some 18" trout and a bull red.

The lows ...#1 **getting a spine in my finger from a hard head OUCH that frigging hurt and ruined one of my days as my finger swelled like a balloon and was extremely painfull. #2 there were no fish. Our boat (8 people) ended a 3 day trip with 30 trout and 12 redfish, and flounder another boat ended with 5 trout'

All in all it was a great experience, I love my new 4000 stella, I caught a 4' wide sting ray and was suroouned by hungry sharks all weekend which was way cool watching them launch themselves at lady fish

The boat was nice the deckhands were great but we didnt have the GPS sytem with the spots becuase they werent working which left us searching in a land were not familiar with.

My conclusion is I will spend my time doing what I was made to do which is chasing big bad ass fish like tuna, marlin and shark...its what I do best and enjoy. Not that inshore wasnt fun but the 95 dgree water kind of ruined it

tightlines

glenn

See less See more
#2 ·
Chandeluer Island's suck. I went there twice in the mid 90's. The only reason I went is because it was a free trip. I almost didn't go the second time but the guy paying for the trip was making me money at the time. I think I caught two trout each trip. Basically I gave up on the fishing because their are no fish. Drinking and eating are the highlights.

#3 ·
Wow, I don't think I ever once saw a negative report on that area, and now two in a row. I have always wanted to go there one day, but now I hear bad reports and you two guys are my heros. What's a mother to do?

Russ

#4 ·
from the photos and previos reports from others the islands due boast some great fishing just not when the water is 91 degrees and without a personal guide. It was fustrating to say the least, I was very upset at times especially when the tide was low as I spent just as much time pushing out of the flats as I did fishing

#5 ·
Gman,

I went to the Chandeleur Islands about 15 years ago. I was under the impression that it was a fish every cast. I got stuck on those islands for three days of complete boredom. I think it was good in the 70's, but I've never talked to anyone that was satisfied with the trip. I hated it. You'd have to pay me to return.

#10 ·
The venice area is much better for trout most of the time they have the limit of 25 a person before 11am. That being said i have fished venice for reds and got skunked, and for tuna the next day and got skunked. we couldnt even get an aj to bite. OH and that tuna trip was with the internationally famous Capt. Rimmer Covington. Even in the best places sometimes the fishing gods piss on you.

#11 ·
I know, Im not complaining really just fustrated really becuase we didnt have the GPS systems with the hot spots in them so it was search on your own.

Yes we saw slicks, shrimp, lady fish all jumping. But all the trout we saw and caught were in the 15" class with a couple of 20" thrown in. There were two other big boats out there and from what we heard they both caught less than 20 fish so the fishing was off becuase of the warm water

Ive never casted so much in my life LMAO My right arm feels like the HULK. The big stingray I hooked into almost spooled me and towed the boat for about 10 minutes. That was fun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.