CC Bay Bluefin popping rod

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Willy G., Nov 15, 2009.

1. Willy G.

Willy G. Member

Hi all,

Am hoping to have a spinning rod built for targeting bluefins in Cape Cod Bay/Gulf of Maine, and have narrowed it down to three options:

1) OTI 7'6" 50lb popping rod
    2) Calstar 700H
    3) Calstar 700XH

After having gone toe-to-toe with a few large fish this year with Capt. Dom, I've realized that a shorter stick (less than 7'6") is a better choice for me than one of the longer blanks, eg Tuna Sniper or OR Black Devil.

I suspect I'll be throwing a variety of different lures--anything from 1.5 oz Yozuri Crystal Mags to 3 oz spooks to Slug-gos on jigheads, and want something that will let me get a decent distance with these baits while still having the juice to pull a large BFT through its circles with 20+lbs of drag on it. I'm planning to slap the stick on a Spheros 18000 with Carbontex drags.

Any thoughts? I know a lot of you guys have experience with these rods and the target species and thought I'd seek some input before checking them out myself.

Thanks!

-Willy.

2. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I've used a calstar 700xh on yft and a OTI 7.6 80lb on bft. Both are strong rod but the convenience of 2pc makes me favor the OTI.

3. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

If you are having the Rod Built you can always have the builder cut down a BD200 to the size and action you want.

That would be my 2 cents.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Willy.
    Both rods are functional for big bluefin.
    If you are a just starter, I highly recommend them.
    However, you are experienced fisherman and have many chances to fish in Cape Cod as you live in Boston.
    Both rods weigh about 19 oz. They are fairly light, but it makes huge differnce bewteen 13 - 14 oz rod and 19 oz rod for casting long hours.
    As most fishermen who fish Cape Cod this year found out that shorter rods are preferred to fight big bluefin, some start to realize they need more selection of rods depending what weight lures and what kind of lures they are using like serious GT fishermen use different rods for big popper and small stickbait.

5. Willy G.

Willy G. Member

Thanks for the input guys.

Kil, from what I saw this year I'd say most of my lures will be on the smaller side--not a lot of big poppers, more small stuff usually not weighing more than 2.5-3 oz. Are you saying the calstar and OTI both weigh about 19oz? I know the calstars are a bit heavier than other rods in the same size class, but feel that the way a rod loads when casting contributes as much if not more to fatigue as weight does. I guess the only way to find that out is to a bit more "field testing" :).

I think the 700XH might be out based purely on its ability to cast the lighter stuff--LEXPRO, what were you throwing with that rod? Know a lot of guys who successfully use the 700H as a canyon jig stick I imagine I could manage to budge a large bluefin using it; at least with the amount of drag that my constitution can handle ;) .

So, down to the 700H and OTI rod, I think. May just go pull on 'em and see what feels right.

Does the Spheros 18000 sound like a reasonable reel? I don't have the chang to drop on a Stella or Saltiga or the like, and am not going to be beating the thing to death on an everyday basis so it seems to be that the Spheros would be a good choice.

6. Willy G.

Willy G. Member

Also, it is possible to purchase the OTI blanks by themselves?

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Also, it is possible to purchase the OTI blanks by themselves?
    Yes, you can purchase OTI blanks. I have them in stock. I can get the blanks at OTI dealers near you.

8. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Goanna cruiser

9. synthnut

synthnut Senior Member

Kil,
    Are you back in NJ ? .....If so, I will stop by the shop tomorrow ...Thanks, Jim

10. dingoatemebaby

dingoatemebaby Senior Member

im on the cape a use a 700XH, i agree that it's a little heavy for smaller lures but for the fight it is kick ass! pm if you need more info

11. Willy G.

Willy G. Member

Thanks for the intel guys.

What are your preference on grip lengths? Was thinking of keeping the rear grip shorter than a lot of the factory rods--maybe 14 inches? 8 inch foregrip?

12. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

anywhere from 12 to 14" have been a popular length. some shorter some longer.
    have your builder fit you.
    its all part of the process.

and its all personal.

13. Riptide

Riptide Banned

My custom rods are 700XH blanks and they will still throw an unweighted sluggo. I guess it depends how light you want to cast. When it comes to fish fighting, the 700XH is a MONSTER!!!!

14. sushitime

sushitime Junior member

If you are having the Rod Built you can always have the builder cut down a BD200 to the size and action you want.

That would be my 2 cents.

John
    Thought about that but with the BD200 being a 2 piece rod and you cut from the butt section like you mentioned before, you are limited. If you were to cut from the gimbal end, your straight arm would be reaching over/above the foregrip. The foregrip is only about 12" as it is correct? If it were me, and it was being built and you only wanted 17" to the center of the reel seat for fighting purposes as opposed to 21" to the center of the reel seat then I would just slide everything down and make a longer foregrip. You would not want to cut from the tip at all because that's what make it such a great caster.

15. johndtuttle

John
    Thought about that but with the BD200 being a 2 piece rod and you cut from the butt section like you mentioned before, you are limited. If you were to cut from the gimbal end, your straight arm would be reaching over/above the foregrip. The foregrip is only about 12" as it is correct? If it were me, and it was being built and you only wanted 17" to the center of the reel seat for fighting purposes as opposed to 21" to the center of the reel seat then I would just slide everything down and make a longer foregrip. You would not want to cut from the tip at all because that's what make it such a great caster.

yea, the butt is a full 21" to the center of the reel seat so if you cut it down 4" from the gimble end you would have a 7'8" rod with a hybrid parabolic action that makes it feel much shorter when fighting the fish than any 7'6" popping rod I know of.

For me at most it would leave my top hand right at the top of the fore grip (which is about 10" in fact to the center of the reel seat) in the little nook formed by the top grip and the rod which is a very comfortable place for me personally and makes it even easier to hold the rod when max pressure comes as I lower the tip, put the butt under my arm and it becomes a more straight pull rather than a leveraged one. If you took an inch off the top to save an inch off the bottom as an option it will still cast better than a Calstar 700xh which is a pretty stiff blank as good as it still is.

If you get a chance to flex a BD200 I think you will find that it performs in a fight closer to a 7' Calstar even at 8' due to it's action but is lighter and casts better. I own like 5 Calstars of various types and love them, they are just heavy for repeated casting.

Just food for thought. if you were gonna have an experienced rod builder make one for you ideally you would meet and have it "mocked up" for you to decide on the ideal ergonomics for you. I toss and turn over cutting the butt down a bit versus just getting a true "cow" rod built at 7' or so for when they are known to be in range but that might not be the rod I pull out for all day casting like a BD200.

16. sushitime

sushitime Junior member

John. I have the 200 and love it. Truely a great blank. For me, in a fighting position, my arm is at the very top of the foregrip. If I were to cut 4" of the bottom, my arm would be above the foregrip. I, like you agree with the shorter butt theory. You can strap into a harness if you want with a 17" length to the center. I would also argue though, that with less foregrip you are giving the fish the advantage. Pametfisher has a post somewhere speaking about leverage and foregrip. I think he noted that the St Croix premier would have more pounds of preasure on the person due to the short foregrip and it's leverage. Just food for thought before you start cutting a fantastic rod:)

found the post and it makes sense. The sws70 has a small foregrip AND a short butt.
    http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f76/popping-rod-length-question-6707/index3.html

So for me. With a longer butt, you can get away wiith a shorter grip.
    With a shorter butt, I think you need a longer grip. I want my arm out straight and up high and use my lower body for fighting the fish.

17. johndtuttle

John. I have the 200 and love it. Truely a great blank. For me, in a fighting position, my arm is at the very top of the foregrip. If I were to cut 4" of the bottom, my arm would be above the foregrip. I, like you agree with the shorter butt theory. You can strap into a harness if you want with a 17" length to the center. I would also argue though, that with less foregrip you are giving the fish the advantage. Pametfisher has a post somewhere speaking about leverage and foregrip. I think he noted that the St Croix premier would have more pounds of preasure on the person due to the short foregrip and it's leverage. Just food for thought before you start cutting a fantastic rod:)

found the post and it makes sense. The sws70 has a small foregrip AND a short butt.
    http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f76/popping-rod-length-question-6707/index3.html

So for me. With a longer butt, you can get away wiith a shorter grip.
    With a shorter butt, I think you need a longer grip. I want my arm out straight and up high and use my lower body for fighting the fish.

agree 100%. if I shortened the butt I would be using it has a "strapped in" rod for sure and wouldn't change a thing if I go "freestyle". That's the dilemma as I know I would want to be strapped in when I get into big 'uns in Panama but know its one of the finest "freestyle" rods out there and wouldn't want to change it.