360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many fishermen go to Panama for fishing from January.
On my last trip to Pamana during Christmas Holidays, I experience two new things.

One is Tourist Card
When I went to the gate to aboard Continental, they announced to purchase Panam Tourist Card for $5 before boarding. They insist it would be higher when they purchased after aboarding and didn't say who are required.

I found out later that only passengers with American passport are required to purchase the Tourist Card. You can purchase the Tourist card exactly same amount of $5 before immigration check at Panama.

The other thing is FISHING LINE.
I traveled to many different countries and the only country which prohibit fishing lines on carry-on bags at security point is Costa Rica. You have to get rid of all lines from reels at security point.
I traveled to Panama four times last season and I never had problem to bring reels filled with lines at security check in Panama until last trip.
I checked in all reels and I put a few rolls of fishing lines in my carry-on bag. They try to forfeit those lines at security point when I flied back to NJ from Panama. I protested it, but even the supervisor told me fishing lines are not permitted. :eek: You can not fight against stupidity. So I told the security lady that I would go back to check-in counter and check in the bag with the lines, but the lady said NO. I did not back off this time and protested hard. The supervisor reluctantly let me go back to the check-in counter and I checked in the luggage ( I had one more room for check-in. ).

G

·
UGH! Thought it was just costa rica. Thanks for the heads up, Kil!! I'll check my reels it appears. Now sure how yet, but I've got 3 days to figure it out ;)

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was fortunate I had enough time to recheck in and had a room for one more bag to check in. Otherwise, I would have lost about four hundred dollars of PE lines.

·
4,723 Posts
I was fortunate I had enough time to recheck in and had a room for one more bag to check in. Otherwise, I would have lost about four hundred dollars of PE lines.

That would really suck losing that much high end line. BTW, what's a Tourist Card used for?? Is it some kind of ID card?

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would really suck losing that much high end line. BTW, what's a Tourist Card used for?? Is it some kind of ID card?
Just a paper to collect money. :)
Mexico also has tourist card system, but the fee is included in airfare. when you travel to Mexico by car, you need to purchase the tourist card.

·
1,541 Posts
Theydont even collct it, they just make sure you have it and stamp it and then it comes right back to you. Lol so they're not even really looking for answers. Just part of the Panama vig. Everyone there tries to hustle the gringos for nickles and dimes

G

·
yeah....zack/willy - we'll see how they try to hustle us on the cab ride to the veneto. over/under starts at $100 for the 3 of us. :p

·
659 Posts
The tourist card is essentially just an entry/exit tax for local govt's to make money. Most places they are laughably small and nothing more than a minor irritant. Try getting in and out of Chile! $110 each way a couple of years ago, may have gone up since then. You can get some pretty detailed and up to date info on things of this nature via the state department web page. Another more interesting resource is the cia website!

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/index.html

You can find all sorts of interesting stuff on the places you may want to visit!

·
1,095 Posts
When flying into Panama, do they ask the specific destination? (i.e., PSFL?)

Does this apply to all foreigners entering Panama?

I wonder if they are not in the future going to try and 'hit up' the destination busineses (PSFL) for $$$ since they have so many gringos/americanos going there to spend money.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah....zack/willy - we'll see how they try to hustle us on the cab ride to the veneto. over/under starts at $100 for the 3 of us. :p

The taxi rate in Panama is around $8 - 12 per hour.

G

·
The taxi rate in Panama is around $8 - 12 per hour.

i think last time i paid $35 or so with tip. not too bad.

peter did you just call the veneto to get their suburban or is one sitting there?

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did they take your matches or lighter? or just that dangerous fishing line.
I didn't bring any matiches or lighter as I don't smoke. Fishing lines were the the only items they took out from my bag.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kil,

What about your flight TO Panama? Was there any problem?

I'd like to carry on my reels at least on the way there.
No problem at all.

·
2,835 Posts
There are two airports in Panama City. On the trip back from the lodge, I flew out of David to Panama City to avoid the long ride. The planes from David to Panama City are nice but the overhead compartments are very small. You really need to check in all luggage. Of course, you will pay for each bag. I can't remember how much. About like the United States.

The cab from the smaller airport in Panama City to the Big airport is around $20. He had to go through a couple of toll roads. I'm guessing that soon we will not be able to carry-on any reel with line even in the United States.

If you want to carry on your spinning reels, just remove the lined spools and pack them with your check in baggage. Spools don't take much room. I did this in Costa Rica with no problems. All conventional should be put packed in your check in baggage as removing all that line would be a PITA.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts