Caught my first fish on a jig!

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by silky23, Jun 15, 2009.

1. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

Hey fellas, I caught my first fish on a knife jig this past weekend! I know it sounds a little silly to get excited about Bluefish but I jigged up a 18lber off a party boat on Sat. night. First time I've had a chance to get my jigs wet this season. Those jigs outfished all the chunk bait floating around and I took the pool on my first catch! Next step, I need to catch my first TUNA :)

2. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

good job! watch out- bluefish bite ya even out of water!! LOL!!

3. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

I know, Been catching them since I was a kid. I wasn't crazy about doing the party boat thing or bluefish either, I've just been collecting and reading about butterlfy jigging all winter and just had to try it out on something!

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

18lb bluefish is a very big bluefish - esp this time of year.

what PB were you on?

5. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

Miss Barnegate light. It was her second night trip of the year. They were very thick out on the barnigate ledge. 12lbs was the average with the smaller ones around 8lbs. There was absolutely no lul in action all night and both sides of the boat were catching. We saw a thresher working the school out there as well, it didn't have much size to it though. I was also kinda surprised to see as much squid as we did this early in the season.

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Very good!
    Ronnie is the guy who tried to lip a bluefish!:eek: :D :eek: :D

7. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

I'll betcha that didn't end well :) Oh well, battle scars for Ronnie! I was using an Avet MXL on a Trevala h. It was getting them to the boat so fast it was a pain in @ss gaffing them!

8. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

One of the most embarrassing moments I ever had fishing was when my dad and I went on the Betty W out of Sheepshead bay in Brooklyn ,NY.We were catching big bluefish on every drop. Taking the hook out of a big blue and getting it in the guny sack the blue somehow got my index finger in its mouth and was chopping down .I kneeled down to try and pry open the the fishes mouth when my dad bent down and bump me . Inthe process I now have two fingers in the blues mouth.I begged my dad to hush up and help me. That was the the wrong thing to ask as all he did was laugh out loud and said he had never had seen anything as funny as my situation.I finally got loose and band aid up . But the rest of the trip was terrible as everyone on the boat had a good laugh at my expense.I was just a teen and my ego took a longer time to heal then the bite.

9. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

Man, that brings back some memories. I can still remember I was about ten or so fishing in front of my grandparents beach house in Stony Brook LI, I caught a snapper bluefish on a spoon. I was so excited I quick grabbed it up and next thing you know, yeeeouch! that thing grabbed back! good times!

10. The Great PF

The Great PF Senior Member

It's good to be able to laugh at yourselves. My story is a little different. When I was 4 or 5 years old I went with my mother to South Padre Island, and I noticed a bunch of holes in the sand. I asked my mother what was in the holes, and she replied, 'Why don't you dig to the bottom and find out??'. So, being the curious tot that I was, I picked the biggest hole and started to dig. After 10 minutes or so, I was still following the hole. Finally, I came across something very hard, and the next minute, blood was pouring out of my fingers. My mother's response was, 'And now you know what's in the bottom of the hole'. A painful lesson to learn about crabs, but I have never forgotten it. Oh, and yes, I've tried to sucker some kids into doing the same thing, but they're obviously smarter than I was.....