360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, wanted to try something different and try casting at marlin.

I know a few guys on here have caught numerous marlin on spin gear, just wanted to clear a few things up:

- How heavy was the braid you were fishing?
- How much drag were you pulling?
- How much capacity did you need?
- How did you rig your lures? singles? kevlar or straight onto the split ring?
- How heavy/how long was the leader you were using?

Thanks guys, any info greatly appreciated.

·
2,924 Posts
The marlin I caught both jigging and popping were as follows

1. 80# Braid
2. 20+ pounds of drag
3. Never went half spool
4. Rigged my lures with singles
5. 100# Leader

·
4,574 Posts
hey glenn

which way do you think rigging your single hooks on the lure worked out better? Hooks pointed up (like on that volador) or hooks pointed down like on the popper?

·
5,700 Posts
Brian
look again its an apparition caused by the rings being twisted up
the hooks were down............

FWIW
belly hooks always down
tailhooks I prefer up.

Swivels on Belly hooks have no guarantee of the hook orientation.( just an observation )

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing gman! awesom pics!

How long were you running your leader? did you have any issues with the bill wearing through the assist kevlar what lb kevlar were you using?

I'm thinking of targeting marlin with my tuna sniper pe4-6, as it will be a tuna trip with a chance of a marlin, am i undergunned here? thinking about fishing pe6 on a stella 10k with a 16k or 20k spool

Thanks for the help.

·
2,924 Posts
Thanks for sharing gman! awesom pics!

How long were you running your leader? did you have any issues with the bill wearing through the assist kevlar what lb kevlar were you using?

I'm thinking of targeting marlin with my tuna sniper pe4-6, as it will be a tuna trip with a chance of a marlin, am i undergunned here? thinking about fishing pe6 on a stella 10k with a 16k or 20k spool

Thanks for the help.

Leader - My leader is always about 10-12 feet, The marlin on the jig spit the jig right behind the boat but the kevlar and jig were fine. Its unfortunate she came off but we were leadering her into the boat so she was a caught fish. That jig bouncing around with the amount they jump is no good. Held my breath on every jump. You will not wear through any kevlar with the bill. You can see the pink butterfly jig in his mouth during the fight.

Line - you should be fine with pe6 as most are breaking around 80+ but it depends what your targeting. Big Blacks or Blues that may be too light. I used 80 pound mainline but I also knew the fish would be under the 200 pound range and I was also casting to sunning/finning fish 80% of the day.

Strategy - You have two real strategies to utilize. The first is to set up a slow troll spread with 4 baits but no hooks. Just thread your line through their eyes and let them swim close to boat. When teh fish come slicing through spread cast your lure in front of them like a normal bait and switch drop back. I quit quickly realized they were too fast too to try to cast at. So we decided to look for option two.

Option two was to look for sunning/tailing fish. IN Cabo they would be in small school so we could see 3-4 tails at once and he would position me to cast right in front of thier nose. I found a faster retrieve worked best to make them commit

Best of luck and tightlines make sure to report back

·
147 Posts
We have had our best luck dropping a spinner into the spread with a rigged ballyhoo every time we see a marlin swimming into the spread. Hooked up 2 this year doing that. Now boating it was a different story.........

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
hey glenn

which way do you think rigging your single hooks on the lure worked out better? Hooks pointed up (like on that volador) or hooks pointed down like on the popper?

Brian, if you look carefully the hook on valador is pointing down as well...look at the spit ring (see how it sit?)

·
2,924 Posts
hey glenn

Brian after trial and error I only point tail hook up now, better hookup ratio

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks gman, the fish encountered range from 100-200 pound too although u do have run ins with the 250-300 occasionally.

So now i got my setup finalised it will be a tuna sniper pe4-6
- stella 10k with 20k spool
- 500m of jerry brown solid 65lb
- single strand 10-12ft of soft 100-150 leader via pr knot (soft for castability)

Just need to get my lures sorted out now, on a tight budget so was thinking of tailwalk gunz sinking 160s, heru tuna 100s, smaller cuberas 100g, skipjack 90 or 120. sticking to the 80-120gram size as this is a good cast weight for the rod, and it might also take away a bit of risk or the lure pulling the hook out.

noticed you mentioned fast retrieve encouraged more strikes, so im just choosing these lures that can be retrieved with speed, does anyone have any other recomendations for lures?

thanks and tight lines!

·
2,924 Posts
I would throw poppers first and more than swimbaits. I had more luck with poppers although i did hook up with the volador. If you feel it hit it, let it sit for a second before setting hook, most times they will whack it with their bill first

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks gman, did you just crank back the popper or did u just do a quick pop-pop pause pop-pop pause style of retrieve? i have included sinking stickbaits in the mix as they might come in handy when the water is choppy.

do you have any recomendationas for popper size or brands?

cheers

·
649 Posts
my03,

Caught this Blue on 12 lb braid with a Stella 4000, the fish had multiple go's at the lure, but was not hooking up so i dropped it back and let it sink and the fish spun around and hooked up immediately.

Take a surface lure with that sinks; it may be easier to drop back and hook-up.

I am intrigued that you are specifically targeting marlin on a popper; my catch was totally coincidental; i was targeting Bonito and you very seldom have the opportunity to cast to a marlin unless you tease them up.

·
2,924 Posts
when i saw them tailing i threw the popper in front and past them and worked it back in a fast retrieve to gain attention. Then when the followed I slowed it down to a regular pull chug and when they came close i stopped it completely for bite. They all bit on the pause

any popper will work, the heru poppers work great Kilson stocks them. Here is a great shot from my panama trip with a sailfish

Attachments

·
2,924 Posts
I am intrigued that you are specifically targeting marlin on a popper; my catch was totally coincidental; i was targeting Bonito and you very seldom have the opportunity to cast to a marlin unless you tease them up.

I saw your report on Deepjigging congrats on that blue, oddly enough depending on the place you fish its not so far fetched to target them. I did it in Cabo because they are in great numbers and frequently sun themselves on the waters surface

Congrats again on that blue, beautiful fish

·
649 Posts
gman,

i was very fortunate my kit did not break, guess i was just lucky the hook penetrated well and the lure took most of the chafing.

I hooked a marlin on the jig about 3 or 4 months back just below the boat and was actually quite relieved that i did not hook up as i just saw this huge purple mass below the boat and i actually crapped myself.

There seem to be quite a few marlin and sails around lately here in Madagascar so i am going to be sure to take my heavier popping rod next weekend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts