Casting For BFT

Discussion in 'Reels' started by TheGoodShepherd, Sep 29, 2009.

1. TheGoodShepherd

TheGoodShepherd Junior member

Has anyone used one for casting to BFT up to ''70 range? Was thinking 210 yd of 80# braid with 10 yd top shot of 80 # mono. I've only used International 50's (TW and VSW) was thinking of selling one and getting a spinning setup. With 25# of drag don't think you'd get spooled.

Are there performance parts for these available to up the the drag ect?

Or any other recomendations for a HD spinner that isn't over $300 ?

thanks chris

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

you can likely get a new "used" saragosa for under $300.

saltist spinner is another thought but its pretty new i.e. largely unproven thus far.

3. TheGoodShepherd

44# of drag will put the brakes on him pretty well, don't think the line would hold up too long tho. I think i could set it up to 32# with 80 spectra/ 80 mono top shot/ 130 flouro leader.

One thing I just realized I don't know how you tell how much drag you are using with a spinner? Just by feel?

what size and action rods do you guys use with these style reels?

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

You're pretty hard core if you're gonna fish with 32# of drag full time. :)

Try the OTI Tuna Sniper rods for casting to BFT using that Saragosa 18k. You don't need that 80 mono top shot, just put 130 mono leader on your 80 spectra via Page Ranking Knot or wind-on method.

You can preset your drag on your spinner and gauge how much each turn will give you from experience.

OTI Tuna Snipers:

360Tackle :: Rods

5. TheGoodShepherd

I guess I'm used to the 50's on a bent butt, we usually set drag at strike to just over a third of the lines rating, but thats with mini bent butts and a harness. I guess it makes sense to turn it down a bit with spinning gear.

6. Stryper

Stryper Senior Member

I guess I'm used to the 50's on a bent butt, we usually set drag at strike to just over a third of the lines rating, but thats with mini bent butts and a harness. I guess it makes sense to turn it down a bit with spinning gear.

I use a scale as its a more accurate way of knowing your drag. That set it by hand stuff works ok at <10# but 20> no way.
    And any drag over 30# is going to require some way of holding on. Be it belt or rail. Just setting 30># and above is tough for me. <g>

7. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

210 yards of even 500 lb test is not enough for big BF! If he is in deep water he spools you. If he is in short water, you cannot react with even a CC to keep him that close.

I doubt you could get a measily 160 lb fish in with that much line. The spinners less than a Stella are laughable for the task even if line length were not a factor.

Good luck to you.

8. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

The spinners less than a Stella are laughable for the task even if line length were not a factor.

Good luck to you.

Not so, Randy. Take a look at what Capt. Dom has been doing up in Cape Cod this year with the Saragosas. Finally starting to wear a few out, but only after catching a bunch of real good fish (150+) on those reels.

9. TheGoodShepherd

210 yards of even 500 lb test is not enough for big BF! If he is in deep water he spools you. If he is in short water, you cannot react with even a CC to keep him that close.

I doubt you could get a measily 160 lb fish in with that much line. The spinners less than a Stella are laughable for the task even if line length were not a factor.

Good luck to you.

guys use fin nors too, that class fish isn't gonna take a ton of line unless you let him, gotta put the brakes on the little tunny.
    The 18000 will take 300 yd of 80# braid, dunno where you got 210? and it has up to 44# of drag. If you think a 60 class BFT is gonna spool you with that you never caught one before. On my internationals 50s they don't take nearly that much line. And you don't need to chase down the fish.

Have been lucky.

10. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

it has up to 44# of drag. .

I think you hit the nail on the head with the "up to" part of the statement. The max drag numbers on spinning reel aren't the same as a lever drag. IMO, divide that max number by half if you want to know the amount of consistent drag the reel can produce for any length of time.