casting a braid runner

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by kidflex, Mar 18, 2009.

1. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

has anyone tried casting a braid runner lure (4.5 oz model)? i am planning to try it out this weekend. ive replaced the double hooks with some large trebles. i might have one rigged with some singles too. i added a split ring and a small solid ring with about an 8-10 inch piece of single strand wire. i figured during the troll when someone hooks up i will cast out. the site states the lure is best trolled at 8-10 knots. hopefully i will be able to reel fast enough for the lure to work properly. any thoughts or suggestions. just trying to catch fish differently than the majority (hate using large conventionals).lol

heres a link to the lure
    Braid Braidrunner Lures at Anglers Center

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Wow, at $20 a pop, those are some expensive Braid lures! They look pretty neat though.

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i paid 20 for the first one, then i got some on sale at cabelas for 10.95. still not too bad considering some of the other lures that cost 40-80 bucks a pop. these are metal and wont break. they remind me of giant versions of the cotton cordell gay blade and sonar baits i used to use for white/striped bass.

4. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

I've casted yo-zuri bonitas in the past and had good success with them. Their wide shape doesn't cast very well but they definitely catch fish.

5. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

There is a guy on eBay that has copies of this lure for $5.00. If you search on "diamond jig" there is are multiple listings for "summerlove510". They also have the Braid knockoff. A different color every week or so

6. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Seems like a good idea, especially for wahoo. I've tried em before but haven't had much success. How about flinging a tady or raider the same way. I caught my biggest wahoo, 75 lbs, clearing the long bait after a 25 lber hooked up on one of the short baits. Was just realing it in as fast as I could to clear it and as it passed the hooked up fish, it got hammered.

Fred

7. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

I have a smaller version 3" of those for casting , got them cz saw a report here a while ago from this guy on the big E being very successful with the 7 " slaying some large tunas.
    BTW is this weekend when you need the popper?
    no hurries on the popper anthony.

fred, i will be bringing some tadys and sumos also. i know those work for sure. i want to try something a little different.

sea crappie, were the yozuri bonitas a pain in the rear to reel in?

day one, just checked those out. thanks i like the 3.5 oz weight of them also.

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Brian the smaller (5 in) Yozuri's are not that harder to reel in. They do like speedy retrieves though

d-a

9. zodiac

zodiac Junior member

I know its a late post but FYI..... I use the Braid Braidrunner Lure (blue ones) for Bluefish and reds at Ponce inlet. from the Jetty. go figure..

10. awashinsky1

awashinsky1 Senior Member

u can cast them but there hard to retrive because of there action is so wild and they go pretty deep depending on where you attach the line. after the 10 cast u will be hurting. but they will catch u fish if they are around

11. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

u can cast them but there hard to retrive because of there action is so wild and they go pretty deep depending on where you attach the line. after the 10 cast u will be hurting. but they will catch u fish if they are around

x2 they swim very deep so are work to get in. They definitely catch, though you have to have an attachment metal to metal as they will saw through leader very quickly due to the nature of where you attach to them.