360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have knowledge about Carbontex? Is it any use to change the original ones in Daiwa Dogfight or the new Stella SW? Also does anyone have experience from the Yumeya Sensitive dragknobs for the new Stella SW. Where can I get hold of Carbontex stuff the easiest way?

Thank you!

·
214 Posts
There is no need to change out a stella drag, and i'm not positive but i hear diawa is using carbontex drags on some of there saltigas. If the dogfight doesn't have them i would replace them for sure.

·
686 Posts
I still don't get why people will spend a $1000 on a reel and still have to upgrade the drag washers. I have no experience on the Saltiga spinners but my 30T has never shown any signs of having to change the drag washers out. My SWs drags have performed flawlessly so far. Maybe Daiwa made a few lemon Saltigas (hard to believe but possible) with faulty drag washers then everyone read the forums and jumped on the band wagon. I'm sure every manufacturer has produced one or two lemons but for some reason Daiwa is the most publicized.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
My 4500 needed changing out, the stock washers were jerky with tight drag settings, not jerky anymore....go the carbontex. The only saltigas that dont need upgrading are the s-extreme series

A lot of fellows here have killed the drags on their FI stradics, upgrading to carbontex has made a huge difference

·
220 Posts
this winter, I did upgrade Saltigat z4500, Saltiga 6500EXP, Saltiga 6500DF drags to carbontex drag.

In my expericence, drag got much much smooooother then before.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Stella is perfect the way they are, as long as you keep the water out of sensitive parts. Saltiga in the other hand will need a carbontex upgrade (on their bigger one anyways).

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank u very much for the info. I totally agree that u shouldn't have to modify a reel for 1000$. But if there's anything I can do to improve I certainly won't hesitate. I believe it was fishermen in Australia that brought up the subject a couple of years ago. Maybe those guys are being able to put a lot of pressure on the reels while catching huge Gts and dogtooth. Therefore wearing them out faster and have opinions on what to replace with. Anyone having experience of the Yumeya stuff?

·
444 Posts
Where can I get hold of Carbontex stuff the easiest way?

Here's where you can find the Carbontex washers:
Pricing Information, SMOoOTH DRAG *** Can Stop Anything *** Toll Free: 888-206-4656

Its interesting. Haven't heard of anyone feeling the need to swap out drag washers on the Stellas. They seem to extremely smooth, even after putting enormous pressure on them around these parts fighting big AJs in NC and BFT up and down the Atlantic seaboard. The Saragosa, on the other hand, another beefy (but significantly cheaper) spinner from Shimano definitely can use an upgrade to Carbontex. The stock Dartanium drags start leaving a deposit on the metal washers (and thus get sticky) very quickly. Not sure what material the Stellas drags are made from, but its definitely different.

·
1,334 Posts
I think the Stella's use a carbon fiber disc already? The Dartanium drags suck. They are smooth at first, but get herky quick, especially on a larger fish run when they heat up. My Saros 4000 (felt washers originally), Spheros FB and Stradic FI 8000 have Carbontex, Saragosa 18000 Carbontex, Tekota 600 Carbontex (and did another 3 or 4 upgrades to 500/600's). All have a MUCH smoother drag!

·
444 Posts
The Dartanium drags suck.

Amen to that! And, btw, if you're upgrading to Carbontex from these Dartanium drags (or any others for that matter), be sure to check the metal washers surfaces. I had to clean a lot of deposits off them when I did it.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
I wonder why Daiwa never addressed this issue.

They did, here they are Daiwa Fishing

I ordered the Maverick 6500H as soon as I saw the promo pics. I have pulled the drag washers out and can confirm they look and feel identical to carbontex

Done the same on the new SW Stella and same story. I have the washers on hand to upgrade the rest of my larger reels that dont have it in already

1 - 14 of 14 Posts