Carbontex Drag Upgrade.

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Copenny2, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Copenny2

Copenny2 Junior member

Here is my question. I recently purchased a Saragosa 18k. According to Shimano the max drag is 44 lbs. With the Carbontex drag upgrade, what will the max drag be? Will it stay the same or will it increase? Or is the benefit of this drag upgrade for the smooth starting and stopping of the drag? I haven't seen a comparison online. I've only seen everyone praising the Carbontex drag upgrade. Can somone educate me on the true purpose of the Carbontex washers?:confused:

2. rance

rance Senior Member

Hi. To me the reason for having a reel thats rated for 44 lbs. of drag is not to actually use all 44 lbs. That would possibly break your rod( depending on the rod of course), and I'm not sure that you could withstand that much pressure standing up. The purpose is that when using 20 to 25 lbs. for long periods of time, that you are only using a little over half of the reels potential , thus not ruining the reel, and if you need a little more to stop the fish, you have it. I think that the carbontex drag upgrade is really for that same purpose. It gives you a better quality smoother drag that can withstand the prolonged use it will receive on a tuna trip, or any trip where you are targeting bigger fish. This is just my opinion. I am not an expert..........Rance

3. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Carbontex if used in a "wet" or greased application has much better heat dissipation than a standard drag stack. I have seen spinners get literally SMOKED by very large fish. Friend of mine recently caught a fairly large wahoo #35+ on a sustain 14000 and the drag stack literaly melted! The carbontex is a fairly cheap (about $10) upgrade and is well worth the effort especially in light of the cost/benefit ratio! My solution was to start buying stella's, but I am an incurable tackle ho!!!!! CopennyII if you upgrade that saragossa you just got you should not have a problem unless you happen to hook up with a REALLY BIG fish!

4. feeder

feeder Senior Member

The Carbontex system has one distinct advantage in that it prevents saltwater intrusion into the drag washers. Salt buildup on the drag stack will cause your reel to start sticking during a fight which could result in a lost fish. The grease used with the Carbontex washers help to prevent this and provide an overall smoother drag performance.

Some people have actually reported a small loss of drag when upgrading, but nothing significant. A few pounds of drag pressure lost on a reel that can put out 44lbs won't be missed.

5. alantani

alantani Senior Member

probably the same.......

6. Copenny2

Copenny2 Junior member

Carbontex if used in a "wet" or greased application has much better heat dissipation than a standard drag stack. I have seen spinners get literally SMOKED by very large fish. Friend of mine recently caught a fairly large wahoo #35+ on a sustain 14000 and the drag stack literaly melted! The carbontex is a fairly cheap (about $10) upgrade and is well worth the effort especially in light of the cost/benefit ratio! My solution was to start buying stella's, but I am an incurable tackle ho!!!!! CopennyII if you upgrade that saragossa you just got you should not have a problem unless you happen to hook up with a REALLY BIG fish!
    You're absolutelly right BIG. I'm gonna go for the upgrade. I can't convince the wife to let me get a Stella yet. That's a few years down the road. But I can sneak in a Saragosa and upgrade it and she won't know a thing.;)

7. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

You're absolutelly right BIG. I'm gonna go for the upgrade. I can't convince the wife to let me get a Stella yet. That's a few years down the road. But I can sneak in a Saragosa and upgrade it and she won't know a thing.;)

A couple thoughts: Many people fish the Saragosa for 60-70" Bluefin without modification. What not try it that way at first?

Second, have a look at this thread: http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/shimano-spinning-reel-max-drag-spec-5205/. I think you will find that with the cap turned tight until it bottoms, but not further, that the drag will be about 20-22 lbs. Try it before you modify the reel. This drag level is fine in my opinion.

Have you considered looking for a used Stella?

Overall, the Saragosa is a great reel. If you load it yourself, cover the bottom with a couple of layers of electrical tape--not to reduce slipping, but to protect the line from the sharp grooves at the bottom of all Shimano spinning reel spools.

8. jig

jig Senior Member

JMO, but I would do the upgrade. For $10, its the best upgrade you can do. I did it on the Spheros 14000, and have caught quite a few YFT up to 85-90# without a problem. Fished about 20# of drag. Smooth as glass, have yet to hear of any seizing or other failure with this upgrade.

Your upgraded drag will last longer (maybe forever), will increase 'usable drag', will be smooth and more waterproof. Do it.

9. mkowens

mkowens Guest

Is there any upgrades for the thunnus reels? I own one and am not happy to buy another reel, I mean how many reels can I justify to my spouse? 80w-tyrnos-thunnus-boat reels ect.

10. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

if you take out the drag stack and call smoooth drag with the washer measurements, they can get you what you need. I would almost bet that it is close to the spheros or saragosa...

11. jig

jig Senior Member

I am trying to replace the drags in my new spheros 8000fa. I cannot get the black cap of the spool (the one held by 4 screws). I had a little trouble getting it off my 14000, but the 8000 won't budge. any ideas? I don't want to break it.

12. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

With torque like you are trying to unscrew it give the end of the screwdriver a light whack with a hammer. Don't get crazy with it but the factory may have used something to help keep the screw in place since it is not torqued down very hard. Sometimes the manufacturers use a compound similar to fingernail polish to secure things.

13. jig

jig Senior Member

I got it. It wasn't the screws, it was just the cap snugged into the spool lip. I put the spool out in the sun, then poured cold water on the cap. Popped right out.

14. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

When I went to the carbonex washers on my 18000 saragosa my drag went down to 28pnd's.
    It's not as much drag but the smoothness is way better then original.

15. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

When I went to the carbonex washers on my 18000 saragosa my drag went down to 28pnd's.
    It's not as much drag but the smoothness is way better then original.
    Are your drags over or under greased? I can still push mine up to 35-36lbs on my scale after putting carbontex in it.
    I wonder if sometimes the spool cap threads bottom out before it puts enough pressure on on the drag stack...?

16. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

too much grease is not good. light coat the washers, then take a paper towel and wipe off the grease. leaves just enough embedded into the fibers.

17. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

When I first installed the washers I had to much grease so I took them out and wiped of as much as could but no real difference.
    I must say it's very smooth though.
    I caught a 30pnd tuna on it a couple weeks ago and it felt like a gold fish.
    No challenge at all,cant wait till next year when I get onto some big fish.
    I'll have to check the knob to see if it is bottoming out before it tightens right down.

18. jig

jig Senior Member

I think on stacked drags it does not matter. I do a lot of grease and it squeezes out the excess when you put pressure on it. This also kinda seals up the stack and prevents water intrustion.

On the lever drag, with single disc, you don't want excess because it serves no purpose and slings out.