Captain Josh Temple - Kite Fishing Primer

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by DeepBlueGulf, Aug 4, 2007.

1. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Hey guys,

Things are kind of slow here today, so here is a great article on kite fishing by Josh Temple who fishes Puerto Vallarta for BIG YFT! The article is on the BloodyDecks board in his Puerto Vallarta Forum, here is the link:

Advanced Yellowfin Tuna Fishing... - Bloodydecks.com

Not sure if you will have to register to read it, but if you do, it will be worth it. Also check out his picture post at this link, some awesome stuff!

17" And Livin Large...7/27 - Bloodydecks.com

Read and Learn.

Tom - DeepBlueGulf

2. gman

gman Senior Member

he is one of the best

3. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Thanks, Tom....

Great reading! He is certainly a great hunter of the YFT and I've been told that he will probably be the next Captain to get the world record Yellowfin Tuna.

I hope to meet him while I'm down in PV in September. Thanks again for the post!

4. gman

gman Senior Member

STXFisherman...while your at it, go meet Manny on the Pacifico while you are there he is bad azzzz. He got us into the fish down there big time. Him and Drew run a top knotch outfit for a reasonable price. PV is my favorite spot for BIG yellowfin.

5. STx Fisherman

We will be fishing on the Pacifico charter. I'm sure it's going to be a trip that will make my arms sore for a week at the very least. I'm in that period of time....the I'm getting pumped time. Can't wait to just see a two to three hundred pound tuna....has to be awesome!!

6. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Thanks for both links,

Closest I've simulated kite action started in the 70's sitting 60' up on offshore rigs and hanging a hard tail half in , half out.

Sure would produce aggressive strikes, on flat days and the sun up high you could look down into the gulf and see the AJ's, kings cuda and such come flying up hit the bait and clear the surface.

No longer work out there but have stayed hooked.

This artical just may make me get a kite out on the gulf.

Thanks again.

122 in the shade today here in Doha.
    and note a drop of beer to drink.

7. gman

gman Senior Member

If you really want to see kite fishing as an art form take a trip to Miami and go sailfishing. These guys are amazing, they will put out 6 lines on two kites with live bait. We went sailfishing last year and went 20-25 in 3 days of fishing and boy was it work. Keeping the baits in the water all day is a chore in itself, but presentation is everything.

Kite fishing is a great way to tuna fish becuase it allows you to fish with heavy leader without spooking the fish and it allows the bait to take a more natural look. Guys up here in the northeast will kite fish for giant bluefins ranging up to 1,000 lbs with live bluefish. Its insane

8. gman

gman Senior Member

here was 2 days on the water with Manny

Me hooked up
    First tuna blood on deck
    Anthony hooked up
    Next victim
    Anthony jigs a tuna

Attached Files:

9. gman

gman Senior Member

Anthony with 130#
    Anthonys big bull
    Nice bulls
    Anthony with Pacific sail (fish died

Enjoy them and count the days my friend, Manny will get you tight. We had about 6 shots at fish over 200 in addition to the ones we caught. At one time we were slow trolling 4 baits and had a quad hook up, all 80w's screaming on 4'8 bent butts, it was intense to say the least we only got 2 to the boat and i lost a fish that had to go close to 300 we got color but the hook pulled boatside and i watched the beast slip slowly back into the deep blue waters surroundin the corbatenos (spelling) rocks

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz fish on!!!!!!

Attached Files:

10. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

You are one KEWL AZZ DAD Gman! Salute!

11. gman

gman Senior Member

Thanks, I figure when I die they will say one nice thing about me LMAO. The best thing is it was on a business trip Ha Ha, even better

Fishing in PV is amazing, Ive been trying to get with Josh but he is a popular man down there. Drew and manny from the Pacifico treat you great, we caught some huge pargo snappers as well all in the 45-60lb class but its hard to take pictures of snappers when you have tuna on the deck

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

We will be fishing on the Pacifico charter. I'm sure it's going to be a trip that will make my arms sore for a week at the very least. I'm in that period of time....the I'm getting pumped time. Can't wait to just see a two to three hundred pound tuna....has to be awesome!!
    I heard you are going mid September. You picked the right boat and right time. You are going to enjoy fishing with Capt. Manny on the Pacifico. Capt Josh, Capt. Manny and Capt Danny Osuna are the elite group in PV. The pacifico is not big, but is very comfortable and is very dry.

Cow fishing in PV is heating up now. One boat landed 6 tuna including 300 lbs + cow a few days ago and cow catching in Corbetena is builing up.
    I might see you in PV. :)

13. STx Fisherman

Would love to meet you ksong....maybe one day we can fish together. We will be in PV from Sept 7-11.

14. STx Fisherman

Thanks for the pics gman.....very cool !!

15. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

what happened to the sail's bill? did you cut it off to weigh it, or did it not have one?