360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

677 Posts
Back in the late 70's and early 80's I used to contract a lot of Elliott's crew boats and supply boats and he told me more than once that when things got slow in the offshore oil industry that his fishing boats pulled him through.

So I guess it works both ways. :eek:

665 Posts
I worked at a shipyard late 70's to around 87', saw the offshore oil business grind to a total halt! Shipyard closed down and laid everyone off. Got to spend four years going to college and fishing as much as I wanted after that!

Somehow I don't really see the party boat fishing business pulling anyone through anymore though. It's a shame what is happening to it. I'll miss the Big E!

Tom - DBG

1,323 Posts
They've gone out this year with a little less from what I remember. Last year they had no problem filling spaces. I'm not sure what the deal is this year.

I think they shot themselves in the foot with the way they handled the announcement of closing down the fishing business. And they did not modify their pay in full policy. How many people do you think signed up this year and sent in $650 knowing at any minute they could lose it? I bet that's why the 9 people who were booked did not PIF.

They told everyone its business as usual until we go out of business and that could be tomorrow, or two years from now. You don't tell your well established customer base "We are going out of business, and don't know when, but go ahead and send us your money now and we'll see what happens in a few months." That's okay if you are selling imported rugs, but not for an expensive three day fishing trip that you have to book way in advance, adjust your schedule extensively to make, arrange for time off work, and send in the payment in full. I love the Big E and will miss Capt. Elliots, but I just don't know what they were thinking with the way they handled this one.

G

·
drshark and myself are on the oct 19-21st trip. we will be with thebigonegotaway,bluewater dawg, floridagirl, and beachglo. we will be the ones catching all the yellowfins...lol. we will have the best tackle and if not the best at least the most...lol i feel sorry for you other fellows as the deckhands tend to stick by the ladies sides and it may make it hard for them to get to your tuna to gaff....rick

3,586 Posts
Myself and a couple of friends want to go on a ride on the Big E before it's gone. We've never been on the boat. Do you think Capt Elliott's would let us charter it for a cocktail cruise? Maybe 4 to 8 hours. We wouldn't need any deckhands as we just want to drink, shoot the bull, and see how it handles the seas.

This Saturday would be nice since they canceled the 52 hour trip and the seas should be semi rough. Has anyone ever chartered the boat with just two or three people?

G

·
the boat is available for charter. you and gunsmoke ought to be able to destroy her in less 8 hours especially if alcohol is involved. so please wait until after i get my trip in before your guys charter her....lol

· Registered
615 Posts
Myself and a couple of friends want to go on a ride on the Big E before it's gone. We've never been on the boat. Do you think Capt Elliott's would let us charter it for a cocktail cruise? Maybe 4 to 8 hours. We wouldn't need any deckhands as we just want to drink, shoot the bull, and see how it handles the seas.

?

I'm in. I'll call them up sometime today. I'd love to shoot some clay pigeons off the bow. I wonder if they would let us bring some live pigeons and a bird handler. This could be fun.

1,021 Posts
Well, if GS and MrBill sink the Big E, it would make a great snapper and AJ reef.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.