Capt John

Discussion in 'Charter Boat & Party Boat' started by red34, Sep 29, 2008.

1. red34

red34 Guest

Does anyone know if the Capt John is still up and running? Also, I never see the 50hr trips on the schedule...do they do those?

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i would be absolutely shocked if they do any trips for 6 months....would actually be surprised if they're still in business.

3. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

Does pier 19 even exist anymore?

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

36 hour trips on the captain john are not worth it. ive been on a few 36 hr trips with that boat and i believe they cater to a select few people. not trying to start anything just my opinion. pm me for details.

semipro likes this.
  5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

36 hour trips on the captain john are not worth it. ive been on a few 36 hr trips with that boat and i believe they cater to a select few people. not trying to start anything just my opinion. pm me for details.

i agree. i wont do one again.

6. red34

red34 Guest

i spoke with them today. they are still up and running and the late october trip is still on. with no big e for a while, what other options are there that would be better than capt john? (i'd be driving from dallas)

7. oldtrackster

oldtrackster Senior Member

Deep Sea Headquarters out of Port A. Further drive and further run on boat. But they seem to me to be the next best operation for Yellow Fin on the Texas coast second to the Big E. There may not be any spots left and I would try to get the local Celebrity "Snagged" to go as well for his knowledge and he fishes that boat some. Dolphin Dock right down the street catches some Yellow Fin but the boats are slower and not as nice, but they charge less.

8. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Deep Sea Headquarters out of Port A. Further drive and further run on boat. But they seem to me to be the next best operation for Yellow Fin on the Texas coast second to the Big E. There may not be any spots left and I would try to get the local Celebrity "Snagged" to go as well for his knowledge and he fishes that boat some. Dolphin Dock right down the street catches some Yellow Fin but the boats are slower and not as nice, but they charge less.
    DD does not fish quite as hard as DSH. I have had some pretty good experiences with DD, but, DSH has had much better consistancy over the last couple of years...

9. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

DSH is my favorite... even OVER the Big E.....

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

both boats are as slow as molasses. 15 knots as i remember. I think the capt and crew are good, though.

11. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

both boats are as slow as molasses. 15 knots as i remember. I think the capt and crew are good, though.
    correct, 13-15 on the pelican

12. shanker

shanker Senior Member

I know that the Dolphin maxes out at 12Knots....Ive been on that boat in 6-8ft seas...not very fun

13. amaze_em

amaze_em Junior member

I did not see any overnight trips on DSH's website. How much are their trips and how often do they run?

14. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

I did not see any overnight trips on DSH's website. How much are their trips and how often do they run?
    i think its 450 plus surcharge...they start running em in october i believe call them up...the gulf eagle does the open charters for the most part and pelican private...also unlike double D they dont go if the weather blows. double d will go in anything < 13ft i believe

15. red34

red34 Guest

on the 12 hr trips out of deep sea hq they don't allow ice chests, don't have anywhere to sleep other than the benches, and no livewell. i've only been on the pelican i think...

just curious as to what makes this boat better than the capt john? especially at higher cost and 3 hr longer drive? do they really catch that many more yellowfin? if so, then i see the benefit.

on a side note, should i bring some trolling lures for in between fishing spots? we trolled in ca but i never have on any 12 hr trips. didn't know if they changed it up on the longer trips.

16. red34

red34 Guest

i pulled up the archived trips on deep sea hq's website. i definately like the yellowfin #'s compared to the capt john. i emailed them, but yall might have better answers to the following questions:

sleeping/showering arrangements?
    ice chests allowed?
    tackle storage (milk crates etc...) up top?
    usual trip length/cost?

17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i pulled up the archived trips on deep sea hq's website. i definately like the yellowfin #'s compared to the capt john. i emailed them, but yall might have better answers to the following questions:

sleeping/showering arrangements?
    ice chests allowed?
    tackle storage (milk crates etc...) up top?
    usual trip length/cost?

1) gulf eagle has bunks...on the main deck. not terribly comfortable. Showering? On a boat? What's that??? ;)
    2) yes - they provide no food
    3) not that i recall
    4) the one i went on got cut short i think. i want to say i paid 650.

18. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I know that the Dolphin maxes out at 12Knots....Ive been on that boat in 6-8ft seas...not very fun

Agreed.

19. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

pelican and gulf eagle both have livewells but they are less than conventional....no shower pelican has like 8bunks total if that. has good captain. dont email just call them though....and yes ice chests allowed bring your own food for 2days

Kevin

20. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

12-15 knots is painfully slow.

ive slept plenty of times on the deck of party boats up north when doing overnight canyon trips and its fine i guess.....but then again the price is 1/3 as much so i didn't care. in hindsight it was stupid since bunks cost $10 I think