360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
161 - 180 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Also, I caught all my blackfin jigging 200 gram jigs in about 230 feet of water with slow pitch, fast pitch & slack line. And incredibly that AJ was on two tiny pieces of squid I was using to try to catch some smaller fish to use as live bait for said AJ. That blew me away. Those pieces of squid were no bigger that the first joint of a finger.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
I used the pink & green ones in this set:
Limited-time deal: Goture Tuna Lures Vertical Saltwater Jigs / Glow Lead Jigs/ 80g 100g 150g 200g 250g/ Deep Sea Fishing Lures/Slow Jigging Pitching Artificial Lures for Tuna, Grouper, Dogtooth, Bass, Salmon https://a.co/d/2sO4DHS

And I used the orange crackle in this set:
Jinzitou Lead Vertical Jigs Saltwater Artificial Bait Boat Fishing Lures Jigging Lures Multiple Color Options & 5 Weights https://a.co/d/e9ETq1j

Full disclosure, I caught the most on the pink one but it got tangled up & had to be cut off. The green one & orange one definitely held their own. And I used a combination of letting it flat fall to the desired depth, then slow pitch jig, then speed/pop jigging, then slack line & if nothing drop back down to the desired depth & start over.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Funny you mention this, I was waiting for Illy to give us a report on his trip. If my math is correct he returned last night.

Also, as I am sure most of you have experienced, fishing buddies are a lot like band mates in that they are mostly undependable for fishing trips or jamming sessions regardless of their 'commitment'. That being said, two of my fishing buddies backed out of the October 27th and 28th trip so I have two extra tickets if anyone is interested. If all else fails I can turn them back over to the boat but I figure some guys here would like to have first crack at them. And I'm not sure exactly how it works but at least I am making a notice of it here for folks to see, I am not sure if anything will be mentioned once I return them to the boat. Perhaps there is a waiting list as that trip is sold out but my noob radar is not tuned into the intricacies of how that works.

PK that was some great info on the rod and reel pairings you gave on the New Buccaneer Fall 2022 Schedule thread. I will use that info on my next upgrade.

·
Registered
165 Posts
All that talk about Popping rods sent me to add another to me arsenal. Picked up a Phenix Titan 8'8" off Melton Tackle last night. Not a lot of info to be found about that particular rod, so kinda a shot in the dark. I'm sure some will say you could have got this or that for the money. Wanting to try something new although, time will tell.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Well, when I returned my St. Croix with the broken rod seat I had limited options at FTU but considering I had a credit from the broken rod I went with a Shimano Terez BW Heavy but they only had it in 7'2". So, well under the length of what you guys recommend for casting poppers/halcos/frenzys but I wanted to get it sorted out so I went with it. Plus, that whole rig will get upgraded as I only have a Penn 8000 on it currently. Hell, that broken St. Croix was only 6'6" and it was casting within range of the other guys with 8' rods. Granted, it couldn't land whatever I hooked into but we won't talk about that.

·
Registered
324 Posts
No the trip would of been returning tonight. But Ian had other plans. This side of the gulf will be back to normal to resume fishing activities tomorrow. I was able to find an open spot on the New Buc for Monday, so I rescheduled my trip to them

·
Registered
165 Posts
Let me say something about friends and saltwater fishing, first of all im up here in East Texas. Ive got friends for any day of the week for fishing the lake or river. But when it comes to paying to go offshore, there's all kinds of excuses. Ive heard it all, that's tooo dangerous, there's sharks out there, im not going a 100 miles out in the ocean to catch fish, my wife wouldn't like that, I dont have the money. But yet some will pay big money to go hunt deer, which I call total bullshit, cause there's plenty of quality deer around here to shot for next to nothing. I dont even bother asking them anymore, just come home and say, look at this.....

161 - 180 of 189 Posts