Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
A few highlights from Saturday.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
2 laps and 30 mins later I got my jig back. This video doesn't do justice to how big it was, it was definitely triple digits, and a real PITA on a slow pitch rod

30# king with the boat's rod
The guy in the red and white hat, in the King Mackerel video, he got me rolling....
'Welcome to Saltwater fishing' lol
Although he maybe hung up, the more I watch it

jbrandons, that looks pretty good, I think you're ready.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Thanks PK. That stuff did work pretty damn well.

Looking at the forecast for Thursday and Friday winds and seas look ok but chances of rain and thunderstorms. Are rain and thunderstorms reasons for cancelling the trip?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Main factor is wind, they will make that call. Still 40 plus hours out although and the forecast is consistently changing. Looking at what im seeing forecasted, think you guys will be fine and give it a go.
Just wait and see....
Safety is rule #1 always
Don't think any of the Captains like anything above 20 knots.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Looking like seas up to 3ft & winds 10-15 knots. Fingers crossed!

Do you guys take live bait, additional and/or different dead bait or just use the boat's bait plus whatever lures & jigs you bring?

·
Registered
165 Posts
You can go to Walmart or Academy and get you one of those little 5 gallon bait buckets with battery powered aerator. Some folks like using sabiki rigs for catching bait, lil pin fish and whatnot. That can be fun but also time consuming. Personally I'd just get a 5 or 6 foot cast net, bring some bread or pieces of bacon. Throw it out there off a wall or side of pier, wait a minute, throw your net. You will have all the bait you need probably at that point.

There will be squid all around the boat, I like washing my hands in squid and wiping my lures or jigs with squid juice. Before tieing and handling everything on the hot end, just to mask scent.

I see some folks bring pre packaged frozen bait also.

You will see no fishing signs at the docks around the boats, so you're gonna have to find a spot to do all this, if you decide to try and get live bait.

Live bait will certainly increase your chance at grouper, definitely.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Yes, I have some bait buckets and aerators at home but was debating if I wanted to mess around with live bait on my first trip out, seems like I may have my hands full but then again I don't want to go underprepared. I can always take the easy way and just buy some live bait at a bait shop. And/or some frozen cigar minnows.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The guy in the red and white hat, in the King Mackerel video, he got me rolling....
'Welcome to Saltwater fishing' lol
Although he maybe hung up, the more I watch it

jbrandons, that looks pretty good, I think you're ready.
I don't remember what he had, if I remember correctly he didnt bring in a fish so you might have been right and he was hung/tangled. I started on the port side with the King and then as you could see I was starboard when it came over the rail. when I passed him I asked him if he was having fun yet cuz he looked like he was struggling , but I thought he had a fish.

·
Registered
165 Posts
He did good, far more than he's giving himself credit for, he picked a fight with a big bully AJ, that hit him with two unprotected shots below the belt, then right handed him across the jaw as he's falling, decided to stomp his head before swimming off and being done with him.
So there's some disappointment kinda....
I'm sure he will chime in here and lay it straight.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yea it pretty much was like that. The first stop it was
Still dark out and I dropped my all glow 400g rip roller and caught the biggest ARS i ever have, instantly. I was thought to myself, damn it’s gonna be a good day. Well I was wrong. The current was ripping and the my bite was slow. I couldn’t stay vertical with 600g jigs and that was the main problem. I jigged all day long, never touched a piece of bait, and this trip def went to the bait guys. The biggest fish came on live piggies.
I got my shot at a huge AJ when I caught a beeliner and then got upgraded on the way up. I was fighting it for a few mins and Matt came over. Then it got pissed and made a 50M run. I was using an electric jigging reel and it seized the line on the spool and I had to pull it out so the line wouldnt break. After a few times of doing this the line finally gave and Matt just looked at me and said there’s nothing you could have done. Which is true. Although i feel like if I wasnt using the electric reel, I could of landed the fish. Once it got dark, the jig bite turned on a little bit, and I caught all my beeliners.
It wasn’t a bad trip, I just had higher expectations. Final catch
2 AJ.
3 Almaco jack
1 long tailed sea bass
1 barracuda
13 beeliner
1 Blackfin

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes inquiring minds want to know.

btw just as an aside I know I said I jigged the whole time. I meant slow jig. And I was just thinking how catching a 40lb AJ on slow gear is a pain with a small electric reel. I actually would of preferred manual on the bigger fish, you can get more torque

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Why yes fellas. Yes I did. And thanks to all of y'all helping me out, answering my plethora of questions, giving me advice on setups, rigging, lures, jigs to use, technique technique technique, making friends with the deckhands, being polite & courteous to Capt Jill (a no brainer) and just overall solid advice think I had a good first trip. My final bring home count was 14 beeliners, 25 blackies & a 47 inch AJ. Threw back a bunch of really nice sized ARS, a just undersized yellow fin and hooked into something at 5am casting to the rig that caused me hell on earth for 23 minutes before it popped off but I had a broken reel seat unbeknownst to me up until the first time I tried to crank on my reel. But lesson learned, check every damned thing before loading it in the truck.

Yes I'm hooked. Yes I'm staring at the calendar. Yes I want to Rip Van Winkle myself to October.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Makes sense. Only 6 yellow fin total I think. And I think half of those were on chunk. My lost fish was on a halco. It was brand new when I cast it out & looked like a war souvenir when I reeled it back in.

141 - 160 of 189 Posts