360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
121 - 140 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Yes it has been quiet here, I just figured everyone was getting ready to go out on their various trips! I am about as prepared as I think I can be. If the weather holds I am going on a 12 hour trip Saturday that I plan to use like a scrimmage before game time on the 15th. I've been trying to get out for the last month but the other two trips have been weathered out so hopefully this one holds. I really want to try this gear out and make whatever adjustments I can before the first overnight trip so fingers crossed the weather holds out for Saturday.

Is anyone going out on any trips soon?

·
Registered
324 Posts
So you can go on all the 12hrs you want.

it won’t prepare you for the chaos that is a hot yellowfin bite.

on our last trip Pk and I both hooked up at the same time and we kept cross crossing at the bow because of the way our fish were running. It was chaos we didn’t know each other at that point. And he’s yelling and he’s all pumped up. I’m the opposite. I cracked a joke and no one laughed but me

I guess yelling yellowfin in my Asian accent isn’t funny to anyone but me 😂

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Yeah I know the 12 hours are nowhere close but I just don't want to show up for my first 36 hour with untested gear.

And based on that story I'll be more like you & less like pk, i don't get amped up but I do like to crack jokes especially if I can make fun of myself.

And my girlfriend is Asian so I'm super familiar with the accent! 😁

·
Registered
165 Posts
Beautiful chaos it was, good gravy the damn ocean come alive with yellowfins. We had already been to our first floater, earlier in the evening, spent about 3 hours there, believe i was the only one that caught a yellowfin there.
The second floater wasn't all that far away, as you could see the lights of it from the first one we stopped at.
We rolled in quietly to the second floater, it was calm, almost surreal kinda. Within a minute of us casting, drags started screaming and the mayhem began. I'll never forget it.

Footwear Sky Shorts Sports uniform Standing

Illy there just to the right of Capt Jill, he's getting some relief for a minute, as he had tail hooked a Big Hoss of a Dusky Shark, noticed the bloody decks up on the bow. The wasn't a spot on the entire boat deck, front to back that didn't have blood. I'm literally just sitting there soaking in everything from the night, as the sun is rising.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
As I understand it we can take a few rod & reels on the boat but only one at your spot on the rail while the rest stay secured up top. But what do you guys use to hold some extra jigs, terminal tackle, etc. at your rail spot? One single tackle tray or small bag/box? No way I'm wanting to drag my fully loaded gear bag to my spot as it's to heavy, bulky & space consuming I'm guessing.

·
821 Posts
As I understand it we can take a few rod & reels on the boat but only one at your spot on the rail while the rest stay secured up top. But what do you guys use to hold some extra jigs, terminal tackle, etc. at your rail spot? One single tackle tray or small bag/box? No way I'm wanting to drag my fully loaded gear bag to my spot as it's to heavy, bulky & space consuming I'm guessing.
You are way over thinking this. While tuna fishing, your "spot" is basically meaningless. Casters up front, chunkers/jiggers at the rail (probably the port rail). There is no place for tackle at the rail except foe the bench behind you. There is no need for tackle at the rail. Leave it either up top or at your seat inside.

·
Registered
165 Posts
dayOne hit it on the money, you need nothing at the rail but yourself, a good knife, your chosen rod at the moment and a sheer determination to catch.
Bring whatever tackle you want and rods, that will stay up top. You need to swap baits, you will run upstairs to your tackle bag and do all that stuff. That way you can take care of business out of folks way that are fishing.
Your spot you bought, that's out the window, maybe when reef fishing if you wanna fish right at it, you can, but you're allowed to move around at will.
You will pick a bunk when first loading.
Building Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Wood

Your rods, tackle bag will go up top to a spot you find, bring some straps to secure them to the rail.

You got this and its all going to fall in place. None of us knew the first time either. Thankfully you are here and asking.

Its nothing 5 star, its straight up about fishing, Chasing Pelagics and World Class reef fishing.

You're gonna be hooked after your first trip, Thankfully you booked 4

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Right on. I've got a milk crate with rod holders & bungees to secure my rods to the rail up top. Can do the same with my gear bag after I unload what I need at my bunk.

Any particular benefit to choosing one bunk over another?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Place my tackle and jig bag right up behind the wheel house, there's a A/C unit and storage box, you will see what im talking about, slide it up in the opening against the wall.
As for bunks, the farther back the better, especially in rough water.
Like getting on a school bus as a kid, everyone wants the back of the bus, same with bunks. Best bet is show a lil early, pile your gear up close to the dock, the quicker you're able to start, the better spots you will find for everything, top and bottom.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Well, getting down to it boys! Making last minute preparations today and tomorrow and was able to test my gear out Saturday on some AJs, grouper, beeliners, red snapper and trigger fish so I know it works well. Anyone else gonna be on the trip this Thursday and Friday?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I wished, still 42 days out me...
AJ's are a great way to test new gear, I'd believe. Looking forward to how it goes, bring home some pics.
Think Illy left out this morning on a Deep Drop session on the New Buccaneer, pretty sure they will do well no doubt, looking forward to hearing about that also.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
42 days you say, so that puts you on Oct 24 & 25? If I remember correctly we are on one or two trips together this year? Maybe turkey day weekend or Dec 10?

Yes, I figured if it could handle AJ's it could handle whatever we come across in 36 hours. Well, mostly.

I read Capt Matt's deep drop trip from 9/5, seemed pretty damn solid.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Once I get everything settled I'll try to post some pics from our 12 hour Saturday. Final count was 7 AJ's, (kept 5), one scamp, one huge trigger fish, 22 beeliners and threw back a ton of big red snapper. Couldn't buy a tuna bite though, tried 5 shrimp boats.

My kid reeled in two AJ's with a broken wrists complete with cast and two pins in it. I thought for sure that would get me in trouble but he wasn't taking no for an answer. Plus, I figure if he can handle two AJ's with a broken wrist he can handle whatever he comes across on turkey day weekend and Dec 10th. Well, mostly.

121 - 140 of 189 Posts