360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
241 - 260 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
I tried everything. I couldn't get a bite to save my life. I tried every jig I had with me shape size and color they just weren't biting. Now that I have the right jigs that can easily get down there I drop deep often. There were just no fish. I didn't see any fish busting at all. Although there were pilot whales hangin around that first rig, it doesn't explain the lack of bites at the next 2. The cold front was moving in that day, but I find it hard to believe that that turned them off, especially with the bottom fishing being so good.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Google reviews for Williams Party boats, click on newest
Found it. Duh. I never look for the google review, I mostly just look here. Now I know. Sounds like his trip was similar to our last trip as far as the 'cudas were concerned. The only reason I am interested in a VERY FEW 'cudas around is they provide plenty of chunk bait so as to not have to sacrifice whole black fins for chunking.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
So Illy, are you mostly sticking with 400ish gram jigs for deep dropping or are you going bigger? I have some 400s, 420 (hehe), 440, 500 and 550. Was looking at some bigger ones but my max jig weight limit on my biggest rod is only rated for up to 500 grams.

And are you using straight knife style jigs or flutter falls or combo?

·
Registered
356 Posts
A good boat and captain will change rigs, etc as needed to find the fish.
I'm not gonna lie, I went straight up to Jill and told her we needed to move. We spent entirely too much time at the 1st rig before moving. The 2nd rig we didn't stay long and then by the time we got to the last rig there really wasn't much sense in trying to move again.

I will say Matt probably would of stayed an hour maybe 2 at that first rig. The problem is I don't know if she was marking fish or not. At the second rig she said she was marking them at 250 but we couldn't get anything to bite and I know I was at least that far down probably deeper.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sometimes the fish just aren't having it, they're not active, nor feeding, oh you might get a reaction bite here and there but they will just shutdown and become extremely difficult.
On the same token they can all of sudden turn the bite on and if you've been catching, all of sudden shut it down.
Just because they might be there or you're marking them, doesn't mean you're going to catch them.

·
Registered
356 Posts
So Illy, are you mostly sticking with 400ish gram jigs for deep dropping or are you going bigger? I have some 400s, 420 (hehe), 440, 500 and 550. Was looking at some bigger ones but my max jig weight limit on my biggest rod is only rated for up to 500 grams.

And are you using straight knife style jigs or flutter falls or combo?
I don't call it deep dropping I just call it jigging. The west coast guys are usually using 1g per foot that the fish are holding at depending on current. Im all about trying to match the hatch if they are keyed in on small baits ill drop a butterfly jig down, as far as I need to. If I'm not getting hit, ill keep going down.

I personally like jigs with flutter. I'm not about to stand at that rail for 8+ hrs and speed jig

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sometimes the fish just aren't having it, they're not active, nor feeding, oh you might get a reaction bite here and there but they will just shutdown and become extremely difficult.
On the same token they can all of sudden turn the bite on and if you've been catching, all of sudden shut it down.
Just because they might be there or you're marking them, doesn't mean you're going to catch them.
I kept hoping that switch was going to flip and the bite would turn on, but it never happened. Ironically I gave all the fish away from this trip other than the scamp and some of the bigger beeliners

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sometime the fish just don't wanna bite. My Capt Matt would always say soak em for a while while fishing for grouper and snapper. Odd how one day they bite like crazy and then just shut off the rest of the day like on a tide change. Sometimes ya get great shows and no bites. I never jigged much, but i would once we were on jack places. All i ever used was a 6 once diamond jig. Sometime i would get a grouper on one. But no way i wanna jig all day as it gets old holding my big rod and jigging away. Next red snapper trip i am gonna jig for red snaps for kicks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
Yeah I did a combination of slow jigging, speed jigging & just letting it slack. They all worked extremely well. Over 50 black fin in two trips & a handful of undersized yellow fin. Zero 'cuda damage first trip but more than a dozen got hit on the second trip. Granted, I'm using a Goofish green jigging rod & that thing kicks ass. It loads up & reacts really well with the downside maybe being it extends the fight a bit longer because it's so thin & no backbone to speak of. Well, that and I have a pretty small Avet reel on it. However, all that said I love jigging & fishing with that rig.

I'm kinda stuck on the Goture SPJ Tuna jigs in 250 gram as those are the ones I've caught the majority of tuna on. But I do have a few heavy flutter jigs I want to try deeper down.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
I plan on putting my kid on blackfin duty this next trip. Be a good way for him to stay busy while I throw out some chunks & try dropping the heavier ones down.

I hope the bottom fishing is good, my dad really likes the beeliners. Between my son & I we might be able to get his Christmas gift sorted out on this trip. 😁

241 - 260 of 265 Posts