360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
221 - 240 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
I think Illy needs to pull those of us together interested in this deep fishing for an hour or so on an upcoming trip and give us a lesson on this. Do we pass a hat to entice/bribe him? Pay his deckhand donation? Carry his gear for him?

I have all the proper gear and heavy jigs but he just threw out a bunch of info that I can't translate to my layman's fishing terms. I thought scope was something you put on a gun. Or used if Listerine is too strong for you... 😁

·
Registered
134 Posts
if it makes you feel better, I am supposed to be going on a trip from the keys this week, but because of that storm that's moving in on that side, I don't think we are going to go. They still haven't called it yet so, maybe there's a slight chance.
It's gonna puff. I fished the north part of that area back in May on a 8day trip.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I went out with them thurs and Friday and one of the worst trips I’ve been on for tuna. Only 3 small yellows were caught and 40 bft. I got 5 black fin only at the first rig. We went to 3. I never got hit again after the first rig.

the bottom fishing on the other hand was good. The beeliners were hungry. I did end up switching to bait on the second day because I got a small AJ a shark that bite me off and red snapper on the jigs. But as soon as you dropped to the bottom with the bait you got hit. I even got a scamp on a small piece of squid 🤦🏻‍♂️ after trying to jig grouper the whole first day

I told them I was coming back on the 26th and I would like them to find the tuna before then at least the Blackfin and we got to the rig early too like before 8pm it was a long night

·
Registered
216 Posts
Adrian is probably one of the smoothest guys I've ever seen with a rod in his hands, it doesn't matter how big the Tuna is, he seriously makes it look so easy. That's why whenever I tire, he's the only person I wanna call on to help finish up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
Damn. That sounds daunting. I hope they do find the tuna before the 26th when I am back on board. And I'm guessing it was REALLY slow because I didn't think they moved rigs once they got to one? Or at least not very often.

Was the weather bad during the trip or leading up to it? Any thoughts as to why they were so scarce, especially the black fins?

221 - 240 of 265 Posts