360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
On our side of the gulf the big ones are known as "freightliners"
We have been getting them 2 to 3 lbs avg 110 miles northwest of Clearwater FL. They have really come back vs the 1990's when trap boats about wiped them out. Pink porgies are still over fished and not getting that many. All the 34 hour trips this summer got around 3000lbs of fish. most red snaps that avg 8lbs to 20lbs. I just not crazy about eating red snapper vs a porgy. Just no tuna fishing over other than black fins. I need a few small jacks to smoke in my new big green egg.

· Registered
190 Posts
Mangochas, in all your years and time spent out in our Gulf, what is the spookiest thing to happen or that you saw. Kinda one of those they wouldn't believe it unless they was here moments?
I'm not talking about no Russian submarine or anything like that, something more along the lines of like a giant squid or something with nature...

Plus what is the Largest Wahoo you have ever seen?
Not sure. I guess that on the very first 34 hour trip on the new Atlantis about 50 miles offshore the wind started screaming out of the northeast and we had around 18 ft seas. Boat was a crew boat so it sure rolled to the point you think it was gonna roll over so we had to turn around and come back in.. Biggest hoo for me was 77lbs. They were rare for us.

· Registered
190 Posts
That WAS a dandy of a trip! I hope I don't bring the skunk with me on my trips out.

Does anyone take sinker/bank weights or are there plenty on the boats? Same question for leader material. I think I've read where guys say there are plenty of weights & a giant spool of leader material on the boat but I think that was the on the NB.

I won't tell you guys about my very dumb adventures offshore in the 90s in a 17.5 foot bass boat. 😁
Some boats charge for sinkers so buying them yourself could be cheaper. On one party boat i worked on the deck hands had to buy the sinkers and sell them. I took a 24ft Mako offshore once 80 miles and had to beat our way back in 10ft seas so never again.

· Registered
190 Posts
Had bought a half dozen of these Gulf of Mexico Deep drop jigs from Capt Harry's in Miami back in the spring. I've yet to get one wet or had a chance I guess. I picked up 3 of the 6oz and 3 of the 8oz. They have a 10/0 forged stainless hook on them, they also have a 12oz and 16oz size. They are heavy duty and hand tied.
View attachment 124311

I wanna a swordfish, ive yet to catch one and I know they are under the boat out there while at the floaters. So ive got this crazy idea of taking one of these and slice a whole squid, wrap it around the jig and wax thread it on the Jig. I dont know about the New Bucc in how they get their squid but the Capt John gets them whole frozen in a block, they are like 6 to 8 inches long, some even longer.
I'm thinking rig one of these jigs like that looking like a whole squid, use a few pounds weight and dropping it down about 400 to 600ft and see what happens. No need to drop a 1000ft at night.

If im thinking to far out the box, say so, but I believe its possible or at least see what happens.
They are in very deep water in southeast FL. Never heard of a sword being caught on a party boat on the west coast of FL. Maybe if you fished 1200ft you could get one. Sinkers are a money maker on the party boats over here. Some charge even if you rent a boat rod and some don't. It was a racket on some boats back in the 1980's.

· Registered
190 Posts
if it makes you feel better, I am supposed to be going on a trip from the keys this week, but because of that storm that's moving in on that side, I don't think we are going to go. They still haven't called it yet so, maybe there's a slight chance.
It's gonna puff. I fished the north part of that area back in May on a 8day trip.

· Registered
190 Posts
Sometimes the fish just aren't having it, they're not active, nor feeding, oh you might get a reaction bite here and there but they will just shutdown and become extremely difficult.
On the same token they can all of sudden turn the bite on and if you've been catching, all of sudden shut it down.
Just because they might be there or you're marking them, doesn't mean you're going to catch them.
Sometime the fish just don't wanna bite. My Capt Matt would always say soak em for a while while fishing for grouper and snapper. Odd how one day they bite like crazy and then just shut off the rest of the day like on a tide change. Sometimes ya get great shows and no bites. I never jigged much, but i would once we were on jack places. All i ever used was a 6 once diamond jig. Sometime i would get a grouper on one. But no way i wanna jig all day as it gets old holding my big rod and jigging away. Next red snapper trip i am gonna jig for red snaps for kicks.

· Registered
190 Posts
The boat wants me to cook on a 14 hour trip Friday rough or not they say we are going. Been killing the gags up north of Clearwater in 15 to 40ft. Looks like we are gonna go southwest to 90ft and have the waves kinda behind us. I am out of fish so i gotta get something. Lane snapper and red grouper are closed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts