360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First time user, long time reader. Let me start by thanking everyone here that contributes their time, energy and effort to the AWESOME information posted concerning overnight trips. It is truly helpful. That said I have several trips booked this year starting in September and was wondering who else may be going on the Capt. John this fall? I have only been on an overnight tuna trip once back in the 90s out of San Diego but have gone on several offshore day trips here in the GoM over the years and recently. My go to fishing is kayak fishing down in Surfside/Freeport with the exception of freshwater kayak fishing each year during the white bass spawn and a rare weather permitting kayak trip offshore down around Port A or Corpus. But blue water is where it's at in my book! I don't want to bore anyone with the details of my gear list but am certainly open to suggestions so I can verify if what I have is correct. I will say that all of the gear I have pulled together was done so based on the incredible info that everyone has posted here.

My booked dates are September 15-16, October 27-28, November 26-27 and December 10-11. If anyone will be along on those trips I'd love to meet you, especially on the September trip as it will be my first overnighter in GoM and I'll be doing it solo (I'm sure there are plenty of people here that finally get fed up waiting for their fishing buddies to commit and just go at it alone). So obviously any suggestions or thoughts you have for a first timer would be fantastic. I know I have no hope of learning everything I need to know on that September trip or even all four trips. I am just hoping not to embarrass myself completely whilst making a bunch of folks mad and to gain enough knowledge to learn how to improve each trip, what I need that I don't have, what I have that I don't need but probably most important know what to do so when my son comes with me in November and December he has two really great trips and maybe even one will be epic!

Thanks in advance everyone.

Cheers,
Brandon

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am not booked on any trips on the Captain John with Williams Party Boats.

I am on the Oct 27-28 trip on the New Buccaneer with Galveston Party Boats Inc.

There's a great thread here on GOM tuna trips. It was started by Scubarchery....lots of good info that appluto ant boat yyou go on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right on Illy. You may well miss the noob disaster show in September starring me. Perhaps in October you won't just shake your head & walk away. Could be you just roll your eyes & say 'let me help this fool out'. 😁

In any case I look forward to fishing with you!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info DaleR. I'm not 100% certain but I think I've read everything scubaarchery has posted & watched all his videos on YouTube as far as his tuna trips are concerned and most everything I've done to prep has been based on his input. I am kinda curious though as to why I see so many more videos & posting from fisherman on the NB vs CJ? To be totally honest, for me after having read & watched everything I could it boiled down to 30 hours vs 36 hours for the same money. Boats & crews seem evenly matched & equally rated from what I could tell. Also another reason was I just could not get into the NB system to see trips & make reservations no matter what computer I used. I keep reading that the NB does longer trips but I can't get to the scheduling page to book. Is this just me or do others have this problem?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been on both boats and much prefer the New Buccaneer.

Mainly because Captain Matt will fish more different locations to find fish than the Captain Johns' Captain will. On the New Buccaneer its more tuna focused. On the Captain John it's kinda 50/50_tuna and bottom fishing.

There are other small differences too. The New Buccaneer has a nice recirculating live well. I think the galley on the New Buccaneer is better.
You can do well on either boat,though so,don't worry about that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks DaleR, that's great info. I vaguely remember now the differences of NB being more tuna & CJ a lot of bottom. I'm good with either, AJ & grouper are on my list to catch. Black fin would be great & yellow fin just icing on the cake.

I was thinking about taking live bait but perhaps on my first trip I should pass that? I feel like I'll have a LOT going on just working on jigging, dead bait, halcos, poppers, etc. But then I'm fearful I won't have live bait & that'll be all that's working. That's how my luck goes.

I do very much remember the galley comparisons people have posted. Sounds like a fully working grill on NB vs microwave grub on CJ. But I'm not picky, decades working as a chef has taught me to appreciate everything!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been on both boats and much prefer the New Buccaneer.

Mainly because Captain Matt will fish more different locations to find fish than the Captain Johns' Captain will. On the New Buccaneer its more tuna focused. On the Captain John it's kinda 50/50_tuna and bottom fishing.

There are other small differences too. The New Buccaneer has a nice recirculating live well. I think the galley on the New Buccaneer is better.
You can do well on either boat,though so,don't worry about that.

I disagree on the galley. The Williams boat has full length bunks for all passengers vs the GPB only having a limited amount of full size bunks that were first come first serve when I went. Sleeping on a 4ft long picnic bench in 5-6ft swells is tough!

One thing I did prefer about the GPB galley was the depthfinder being hooked up to TV monitors so I could see the marks through the window while jigging. Made it much easier to know how deep to drop for BFT.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey matawest, my CJ November & December trips are both on the weekend. My Sept & Oct trips are both Thursday - Friday.

Here is the link to Williams Party Boats calendar for the CJ & Texsun II although I think only CJ does the overnight trips. I'm waiting to see what the 2023 calendar looks like. However based on lots of info I feel like I wouldn't be thorough if I didn't book something on the NB.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes all December trips are on the weekends. I don’t mind the boat. I like you can stretch out fully on the bunks inside.

don’t worry about being a noob. I feel a lot of people on that boat are, more than the new buccaneer. We’re all learning so don’t worry about that. There’s always something new coming out or a new technique. I’m will to help anyone that will listen. But if I tell you something and then you just completely ignore it, I won’t help anymore

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Illy I'm GREAT at following instructions, it's figuring things out on my own I struggle with. So I'll not let good information & hands on instructions go to waste I can assure you!

Now whether or not I have the skill set to execute those instructions properly is a different story...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Capt John fan boy here for sure. 2 rounds of reef fishing, all night fishing floaters, full size bunks, wonderful Captain and crew, you can't beat it for the money.
After doing the private charters since the 90's. Last spring was my first at getting involved in overnight party boat style trips. All I can say is, should have been doing this long ago.
Booked 3 trips last spring, got out on 2 of them with one lost out due to weather.
Have 3 booked for the fall season fixing to kick off.
Oct 24-25
Nov 26-27
Dec 17-18

Have met some good folks and some knuckle heads. As with any offshore adventure, you never know how its going to go down, there's always a surprise i always say. I wouldn't worry about a thing, Capt Jill puts the boat on good fish, the rest is up to the fisherman. Its a great time no doubt.
You will meet very experienced fisherman and some no so experienced. We are all in the same boat together and it all works out. Personally I enjoy helping others given the opportunity.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well palomareknot it looks like we'll both be on the boat Thanksgiving weekend! Thanks for the insight. I think I could continue to research, debate, gear, regear, guess, second guess & lose all my hair trying to be the best prepared I can be & still miss the mark by a mile. Like they say there's no substitute for experience but I'm sure will appreciate everyone's help when the bait hits the water.

Probably passing out 20s to the crew as soon as I step foot onboard would hurt me either. 😁

·
Registered
147 Posts
The New Buccaneer benches are a bit more.than 4 ft but each to his own.

Have fun fishing.

Out.....
Have not been on the New Bucc, but certainly have much respect for Capt. Matt and absorb every word he shares. Both boats operate under the same principle and fish the same waters. Think in general you might have more overall experienced fisherman given any trip on the New Buccaneer, as it has its fan Boyz also, plus Capt Matt takes the time to share and post on here. But certainly don't believe in this misnomer that one boat is better than the other, you just hear more about the New Buccaneer and thats because of Capt. Matt on here. Its just a matter of preference.
I'm sure at some point will give the New Bucc a trip to get to fish with Capt Matt.
But honestly I'm more than pleased with fishing the Capt. John.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well palomareknot it looks like we'll both be on the boat Thanksgiving weekend! Thanks for the insight. I think I could continue to research, debate, gear, regear, guess, second guess & lose all my hair trying to be the best prepared I can be & still miss the mark by a mile. Like they say there's no substitute for experience but I'm sure will appreciate everyone's help when the bait hits the water.

Probably passing out 20s to the crew as soon as I step foot onboard would hurt me either. 😁
Lol, save your 20's for the end of the trip when they pass the hat, everyone is treated the same during regardless.

I do sell rigged out Halco's with premium hooks, split rings and solid ring. Just saying.... lol
Anyway, we gonna have fun and certainly get our Bluewater fix and catch damn good fish. Might wanna do some push ups starting weeks before hand, as these Yellowfin are serious business.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree. TONS of awesome info from NB, especially from scubaarchery & Capt Matt seems to chime in each time a question is directed his way which is great. I definitely want to book a trip with those guys but I think I'll have to call the office as I can't get into the scheduling & booking part of the site.

Has anyone done the 56 hour trip on NB & has anyone done a longer trip than 36 hour with CJ? Or does anyone know if CJ offers a multi day trip? Sounds like Dolphin Docks in Port A gets a lot of talk for multi day trips in Texas but I haven't heard of many other outfits that do. Granted I'm very new here so I probably just haven't explored enough.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ha! Where were you before I bought 10 halcos & changed the hooks out last week?

Speaking of halcos though, do most folks attach those from the split ring on the halco to a solid ring on the leader, or are snap swivels used at the end of the leader? Or tie leader directly to the halco split ring?

And does anyone rig them with wire leader material in case of toothy fish hits or that's not a concern? Same question for jigs. The consensus seems to be the wire leader kills the natural action of the baits and losing lures is just part of it but...?

And I'm almost entirely certain if you just happened to have a few rigged halcos with you on our November trip they would be purchased by me. Or ahead of time if you have a site? I like to support local businesses.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts