capt. john 4/19-20

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by kidflex, Apr 16, 2008.

1. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

anyone going on the captain john 36 hr trip this weekend? me and a couple of friends are going, maybe be able to meet some of yall on this board.

2. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

4 of us (if it goes)

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

how have their trips been going anyway?

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

engine down. the trip was cancelled.

5. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

How well does the Capt John ride.You dont see many cats that size for charter boats.

6. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

engine down. the trip was cancelled.

wow that sucks the weather this weekend was unbelievable!

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

How well does the Capt John ride.You dont see many cats that size for charter boats.

I don't think its that great to sit in big seas since it is aluminum. it is a light boat so moves up and down quite a bit. in 3-5' seas it cuts through them well.

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

like bret said not that great in rough seas. been beat up a few times on this boat since they ride out in unfavorable conditions sometimes. this weekend had very nice weather, was a shame not to get out there. now i have to wait for the tomeny trip in 20 days.hopefully the weather will cooperate

9. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

I am trying to go on Galveston party boats next weekend if the waves die down. I have been on the Capt John several times. Does anyone use live bait on the tuna trips and if so, what type?

10. SoonerNDN8608

SoonerNDN8608 Senior Member

Need to be chunking! Also get there early and take a throw net and you can catch some live bait right there at the peir,Jig glow in the dark Braid jig 7oz,(pink) with some metered braid! We caught 5 yfts last year in May< Check the website from last year,Good luck!

11. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

You rock! Thanks for the information. I have been out twice on the Capt John and have managed 3 BFT, 1 on chunk bait and 2 on diamond jigs. Not sure why I have such bad luck... I may not be jigging right...