Cape Town, South Africa trip report

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by miles, Apr 28, 2009.

1. miles

miles Senior Member

After being stuck in -40 degrees celcuis and waist deep snow, for three months, in Northern Canada, it is GREAT to be back home in South Africa!! With the reports of PHENOMINAL catches of tuna being made for the 2 weeks prior to our arrival, made the last few days in Canada become unbearably looooong:( :(

Landed on Sunday, after a 36 hour travel. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday saw me working on the boat to get her sea-ready.

Unfortunately, the fishing had slowed down completely, with very dismal reports for the two days prior to us landing in SA.

Thursday saw us put to sea, even with the dismal reports. Ran the 25nm offshore and was greeted by blue warm water. PERFECT conditions, but simply not much fish around. Most of the guys targetted albacore (longfin tuna), but seeing as they were rather small, i opted to go for broke and ONLY target yellowfin. The day ended poorly, with a few small albacore and one young yellowfin tuna.

Hordes of albatross's flocking around the trawler "African Queen", awaiting a free meal when they pull their nets.

[​IMG]

Normally all this commotion would attract and hold the schools of yellowfin, but the echo-sounder was decidedly blank.....

[​IMG]

The next few trips were just as dismal, with just a few large YF being put onto my boats decks......

Monday 27/04, we fished in a off-shore comp with my cousin on his boat. The conditions were lovely and the fishing had only marginally improved. The smaller class albacore had dis-appeared and we had some fun with a few very large albacore.

My wife on a 25.5kg (56lb's) Albacore on a Shimano Beast Master 85-200g jigging rod and a Stella 8000 with 50lb braid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Culprit:

[​IMG]

Double header!! My cousin and wife, both hooked up to 50lb+ albacores.

[​IMG]

Iggi, with a MONSTER albacore, weighing in at 31.5kg (69.44lb), which was the largest albacore taken for the day. Taken on a chunk meant for a YF.

[​IMG]

FINALLY a decent class YF. My cousin battling a nice YF off the bow.

[​IMG]

A rapidly emptying Penn 50VSW.

[​IMG]

Almost there.....

[​IMG]

IDB (In Da Boat)!!!

http://i42.tinypic.com/10z7err.jpg

At the scales, the fish weighed in at 74.85kg's (165lb's), which earned us 5th place for largest yellowfin. My buddy managed a 88kg (194lb) YF, which is the mark to beat for the next few days.

http://i41.tinypic.com/ou5kr7.jpg

So, from the looks of it, my wife seems to be top lady angler, weighing in a small YF and a large Albacore, we have the largest albacore of the tournament so far and 5th place on the largest YF. Lets hope that we get a couple of 200lb'ers in the next few days.........:D :D :D

2. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

Miles,

Great report and pictures, hope the YFT show up here in the NE
    canyons as last year was a bust:eek:

3. etan

etan Senior Member

Good luck, great report!

4. miles

miles Senior Member

Funnily enough, last year was a bust for our YF tuna in South Africa as well. The massive schools we had for the last 3-4 years now simply didn't materialise..........

5. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Awesome report and pix. Thanks for sharing!!

6. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

looks like you had a blast. Great pics.

7. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

8. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I am definitely adding SA to the list. Those albies are monsters!

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

nice report miles

10. feeder

feeder Senior Member

I always love to see Miles' reports. They always make me want to head down to SA when I see what they end up catching.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

miles you tempt me to come down. great report, congrats on this fish, especially the nice longfin :)

12. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

That is the biggest damn albacore I have ever seen!:eek:
    nice yellows, too.:D

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

That is the biggest damn albacore I have ever seen!:eek:
    nice yellows, too.:D

you should fish the canyons......they get that big up there sometimes :)

14. miles

miles Senior Member

The day started off rather poorly, with a unpredicted 20knt+ wind howling across the bay. Ran the 12nm to Cape Point at a sedate 14-16knts, which enabled my crew to at least get some sleep.....

Just outside the point, the sea flattened a bit, as the wind dropped a bit and i was able to run the 31nm to my marks in the west at a comfortable 20knts. We were just 4 on board, as i battled to find crew the day before. My buddy got terribly sea-sick just outside the point and was man down for the day

About 500meters from the first stern trawler, i let out the backlines, whilst preparing the bait rods and getting the boat ready for fishing. A few minutes later, the backlines went off and two small 4-5kg class longfin came aboard. Turned, switched on thye sprayer but they wouldn't come up to the poles. Started trolling again towards the trawler.

After 10 minutes, all the tackle and chum was sorted and we up-ed lines and ran for the trawler "STEVIA". Ran up to the trawler, saw no marks behind him, but still made a drift.

Not even 5 minutes had passed when my wife's bait rod went "VAS"!! As i was helping her put her harness on, Gamie's bait rod went "VAS". He also hadn't put his harness on yet. After a bit of chaos, both of them had their harness strapped up, when my rod went "VAS"!! Triple hook-up on YF with only the 3 of us ..........

[​IMG]

After some fancy footwork, i gaffed my wife's YF, while still strapped to my fish. After gaffing her fish, i passed my rod to her and she started fighting my fish, whilst i bled and cleaned the fish. Pretty soon Gamie's fish was at the boat and the gaff went in. By now, the blue sharks had made an appearance and we stopped chumming. Boated my wifes second fish shortly afterwards.

[​IMG]

After cleaning all the fish and making the slurry's, off we went to the trawler "STEVIA" again. Almost EVERY time we got behind her, we went "VAS" on the bait............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My wife "VAS" yet again......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wifey "VAS" yet AGAIN!!:D :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Late afternoon, my one motor started giving trouble. Seemed like an electrical problem and try as we might, we could not resolve it. This resulted in us limping home on one engine, which is a first for me!! Was actually a pleasant run back home, the 29nm to Cape Point taking us 2Hours and 30minutes at a sedate 10knts.......

Oh well, at least we had a pleasant day at sea and my wife's arms and legs are paining from pulling YF!!

Back at home, one small longfin was destined for the bbq!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i40.tinypic.com/25hctqp.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2qatxe9.jpg

15. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Great report!

16. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

17. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Great report as usual Miles. I might have missed this but what is "VAS"? Not familar with that term. I do like the "IDB" term mentioned before :D

18. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Miles, what an Awesome report.. you guys seem to always find good fish..
    Keep the reports coming..

19. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I tell you what. I will fly down there next year if you take me fishing! Gas and bait is on me!

20. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Awesome report! BTW- You are one lucky man in a lot of ways, but Kudo's to your wife! She must be one tough lady taking on fish after fish like that! I would not want to cross her:D