Cape May Jigging 8/7/09

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by JFLORES, Aug 8, 2009.

1. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

Together with Sami,Adrian,Dee,Dave,Arkady and meself we fished with Capt
    John of the HookedUp out of CapeMay NJ. As soon as we arrived we started
    marking tunas this really got us going:D After fishing for 30minute i came
    tight on the first fish and felt good, after a very short fight a nice 64'' tuna
    hits the deck.

Thru out the day we had great marks but could not get them to bite, the wind started blowing and it was hard to keep are jigs in the strike zone.

I think this did not matter as many boats in the fleet used live baits and still
    did not get bit, so i guess i feel lucky to get one.

Even though the fishing was slow, i still had a great time with my buddies.

[​IMG]
    Fisherman Spinoza Short, this rod is a beast
    [​IMG]

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

wow thats a nice fish

3. silver335

silver335 Senior Member

Nice fish john, Congrats man!!!

4. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

Way to go John on the nice fish. Thats been the norm here lately with large fleets fishing small areas. Sounds like you guys had fun anyways.

We were planning on going out this morning but Glen called said there was pouring rain and some lightning as he was already at the ramp waiting for us. We watched the weather and saw all the green and red blobs coming our way. Looks like we have to wait to get more tuna.

5. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

Way to go John on the nice fish. Thats been the norm here lately with large fleets fishing small areas. Sounds like you guys had fun anyways.

We were planning on going out this morning but Glen called said there was pouring rain and some lightning as he was already at the ramp waiting for us. We watched the weather and saw all the green and red blobs coming our way. Looks like we have to wait to get more tuna.

Thanks jig42na,

I dont think it was all the boats as we drifted away from the fleet and found
    huge marks of tuna but they still did not bite.

This is my 15th year jigging Cape May and this happens from time to time
    where you go out and they just have lockjaw, but i know its just a matter
    of time when they will turn on again.

Maybe some day we can hook up and do some jigging.:)

6. abousoulayman

abousoulayman Senior Member

Woww!! Very beautiful fish!!! Has what place kept silent about (it) to catch? Excuse my English!! I am from France thank you.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

John, I was there yesterday and I experienced the same bites.
    We arrived there around 7:00 am and it seemed bites were over. Some boats landed bft around 5:00 am - 5:30 am and it became quiet. We marked some fish when we got there, but we noticed they were thinning out.
    I am afraid good bites become over at Lobster Claw. It is time as we had good bites for two weeks. It happened last year too. Good bited didn't last over 2 weeks last year. That is why I fished hard for 7 -8 days in two weeks. :)
    I don't know scalllop dragging is open in Lobster Claw or Elephant Trunk area this year. If it is open, we are going to have excellent bluefin behind scallop boats in these area until fall.

It is time to go to canyons. Some boat landed 10 bigeye in 150 - 200 lbs range around 100 square of Hudson Canyon last week and good bigeye bites are continues there.

8. abousoulayman

Excused I am not to present I am from France and I try to take advantage of the knowledge of the other jiggeur in the world I saw in this forum of very beautiful photos I am ashamed to post mine.
    Thus still bravo JFLORES and if you jig for 15 years You is a master jigginger and I need advice thank you.

9. gman

gman Senior Member

Nice tuna John sorry I couldn't make it.

10. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

John, I was there yesterday and I experienced the same bites.
    We arrived there around 7:00 am and it seemed bites were over. Some boats landed bft around 5:00 am - 5:30 am and it became quiet. We marked some fish when we got there, but we noticed they were thinning out.
    I am afraid good bites become over at Lobster Claw. It is time as we had good bites for two weeks. It happened last year too. Good bited didn't last over 2 weeks last year. That is why I fished hard for 7 -8 days in two weeks. :)
    I don't know scalllop dragging is open in Lobster Claw or Elephant Trunk area this year. If it is open, we are going to have excellent bluefin behind scallop boats in these area until fall.

It is time to go to canyons. Some boat landed 10 bigeye in 150 - 200 lbs range around 100 square of Hudson Canyon last week and good bigeye bites are continues there.

Kil,

IMO the bite is not over, we marked piles of fish sometimes from the bottom
    up 30ft of the bottom:eek: I think the change of weather and full moon turned them off.

Yes early mourning a couple fish were caught but not many, i hooked up very
    early but droped him.

Hudson Canyon is on fire now one boat jigged 4 Bigeye's on Thursday. There turning on to the chunk now as well.

11. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

Excused I am not to present I am from France and I try to take advantage of the knowledge of the other jiggeur in the world I saw in this forum of very beautiful photos I am ashamed to post mine.
    Thus still bravo JFLORES and if you jig for 15 years You is a master jigginger and I need advice thank you.

Hi Abousoulayman,

Welcome to the forum, dont be ashamed to post pictures or ask question's.

Yes i have been jigging Cape May for 15years but much longer overall.

There are alot of great jiggers here on this forum, so dont be afraid to ask questions.

12. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

Nice tuna John sorry I couldn't make it.

Glenn.

No worries

13. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Member

Beautiful fish John, congrats!

14. abousoulayman

Hi Abousoulayman,

Welcome to the forum, dont be ashamed to post pictures or ask question's.

Yes i have been jigging Cape May for 15years but much longer overall.

There are alot of great jiggers here on this forum, so dont be afraid to ask questions.
    OK JFLORES thank you:) , my question is, I am jigging in the North Africa and it is very full of fish (I go you shown by photos) but I do not manage to find the red way of the tunas, nevertheless has them behind the Abibas island it of it (15KM) but we catch them with the natural bait (sardine) and it is thus the tuna who comes towards us!?
    Then how to find his her road.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

about photos of our last (fishing)

15. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

Kil,

IMO the bite is not over, we marked piles of fish sometimes from the bottom
    up 30ft of the bottom:eek: I think the change of weather turned them off.

Yes early mourning a couple fish were caught but not many, i hooked up very
    early but droped him.

Hudson Canyon is on fire now one boat jigged 4 Bigeye's on Thursday. There turning on to the chunk now as well.

I think these were the full moon days as well so that never helps!! I don't think the area is finished yet, but forget fishing there on a weekend. The full moon sucked there last year too.

FLores go get one of those 250lb Bigeyes!!! That would be something!!!!

16. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

OK JFLORES thank you:) , my question is, I am jigging in the North Africa and it is very full of fish (I go you shown by photos) but I do not manage to find the red way of the tunas, nevertheless has them behind the Abibas island it of it (15KM) but we catch them with the natural bait (sardine) and it is thus the tuna who comes towards us!?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice pictures. Are you catching tuna with sardine on the bottom? If that is the case then I would keep the jig on the bottom. If you stay at it you will catch the tuna. Good Luck. SHow more pictures.

17. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey Abousoulayman,

Very nice Amberjacks/Samsonfish how big where they?

I think the tunas will hit a jig if your catching them on sardine. How deep is the water that your fishing?

Do you see tunas feeding on the surface, if you do try casting small stickbaits
    and working them thru the schools of tunas.

18. abousoulayman

Hey Abousoulayman,

Very nice Amberjacks/Samsonfish how big where they?

I think the tunas will hit a jig if your catching them on sardine. How deep is the water that your fishing?

Do you see tunas feeding on the surface, if you do try casting small stickbaits
    and working them thru the schools of tunas.

Thank you!!:D The amberjack biggest is photos2 110LBS photo1 25LBS photo3 60LBS, I do not have to attrapper on tuna :mad: just my friends with sardine in half of the depth.
    My friends throws(launches) many natural bait (sardine) the tuna come with the sardine then I do not know her direction then how find??:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Furthermore I do not see the tuna on-surface ???

19. abousoulayman

Nice pictures. Are you catching tuna with sardine on the bottom? If that is the case then I would keep the jig on the bottom. If you stay at it you will catch the tuna. Good Luck. SHow more pictures.

Thank you very much!! Look at the other small catch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]