Cape May: Fluke & Bass Report w/ Pix

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Boston Tangler, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

Headed out Saturday w/ Paul & Greg (sorry for late report no net access down the shore) late morning after the small craft came down, cleared H/I at about 11:30 it was grey and a little sporty out. Decided not to head to cars due to sea conditions and time commitments. Pointed the boat right to 3FB and started diag. across the reef from there. About 1/3 of the way across came across a mess lot of pots about 12 or more in two strings (gotta love so many pots on the reef) anyhoo - started our drift and got to jigging - had all rods setup with 4 oz Spro bucktails & CM 4.8" Teasers about 2 1/2" feet up from the bucktail. Bucktails / teaser tiped off with squid strips.

First drift had two - one keeper and went on to pick a few more - and back at the dock by 2PM. Water was dirty - we where one of two boats out there had the whole reef to ourselves

If you look at the right of the second photo - you will see this Fluke was caught on a bucktail rig - with the Shimano Lucanus at the bottom with a CM 4.8" Squid Teaser about two feet up. Although the first was hooked on the teaser ~ It was the first drift, first fluke trip & first ever keeper anything on the Lucanus, so I take it as a sign we will have a very good fluke season this year

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunday I had the task of supervising the Wife & friends on the beach. This is not as easy as it sounds as the girls usually bring 3 Liters of wine to the beach LOL. Lucky for me - fishing was very good so I only had to hear Sweet Home Alabama twice and I managed three Bass from the surf. The first was pretty small, second one shown below was pretty nice and third was in btw the two. All caught on clams about 500 yards South of the CM jetty but north of the first discharge pipe (Pov beach area). There were about 12 fisherman trying the surf - I was the only one that caught Bass. One old timer came up and said your're the only one catching - what's the secret - so here it is. At that beach it seems very deep near the shore but that is only a cut, you have to find a shallow part to walk across and get to the flat part from there you can comfortably walk about another 20 maybe 30 feet out and cast your line. I fish two rods one in close just about in the surf and one far out. The far rod got all the fish Sunday. All bass where released.

[​IMG]

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

seems like everytime i fish the beach there is always one rod that gets all the action.

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

seems like everytime i fish the beach there is always one rod that gets all the action.

is it a pain cleaning up afterward? ha ha ha

4. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

I think I was too tired from running back and forth to my rod to have energy for that kinda action :eek:

5. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --