Cape May Bluefin Jigging is on!

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Sea Bear, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

I was on Capt. Tim Smith's Bodacious July 9-10th and we had bluefin respond to baits and jigs as we drifted them just off the bottom at the 19 Fathom Lump. I fished with 8 and 10 ounce hammered diamonds and went 1 for 2. My father was also jigging with hammered diamonds and went 0-2 as they both came unbuttoned. Another person caught one on a shimano flatside jig as well. Trolling for several hours beforehand was unproductive but as soon as we switched to baits and jigs the bluefin became interested! Looks like its now time for jigging! Fish were in the 50LB class.

2. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Great Post! thanks for sharing. 19th Fathom is at this time of season

3. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

Hey Sea Bear,

Great report and picture, its time to jig em up:D

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hey Sea Bear,

Great report and picture, its time to jig em up:D
    John, I call you soon, but it will be after ICAST show. I plan to go up to Cape Cod tomorrow, and I fly down to ICAST show on Thursday morning and leave Orlando Thursday night not to miss good bluefin bites. :)

5. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

John, I call you soon, but it will be after ICAST show. I plan to go up to Cape Cod tomorrow, and I fly down to ICAST show on Thursday morning and leave Orlando Thursday night not to miss good bluefin bites. :)

Kil,

Ok, good luck tomorrow, Sami/Paul will be at the show.

6. [​IMG]

caught this tuna in the same area on the 12th 155 lbs on a blue and white islander had two others on jigs but lost them one was due to a penn tourque 300 exploded on us breanings are totally gone fought the fish for about 30 to it went....was fishing with fish and chips charters capt brain did a great job we went 1 for 4

7. egluck

egluck Senior Member

This is good to hear. Friends and I will be jigging down in Cape May on July 23rd. :)

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

[​IMG]

caught this tuna in the same area on the 12th 155 lbs on a blue and white islander had two others on jigs but lost them one was due to a penn tourque 300 exploded on us breanings are totally gone fought the fish for about 30 to it went....was fishing with fish and chips charters capt brain did a great job we went 1 for 4
    I am surprised your Penn Torque 300 broke down. Torgue has heavy duty parts. That is why the reel is much heavier than other reels with its size.
    But big tuna can do much damage to any jigging reel. My friend's Ocea Jigger 5000P's anti reverse gear was completely gone when big tuna almost spooled the reel.

9. I am surprised your Penn Torque 300 broke down. Torgue has heavy duty parts. That is why the reel is much heavier than other reels with its size.
    But big tuna can do much damage to any jigging reel. My friend's Ocea Jigger 5000P's anti reverse gear was completely gone when big tuna almost spooled the reel.

my buddy the capt. heard from penn today they are replacing the reel for free and paid for the shipping also..so atleast they are taking care of it for him.....

10. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

Capt Timmy is the man - nice report. I'm sitting in the Orlando Airport itching to get down.

I'll be in Cape May Tuesday to Sunday and hope to get out at least a couple of times