Cape cod trip week of 10/12

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by LEXPRO, Oct 16, 2009.

1. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Sunday i was scared that we were traveling hundreds of miles to find bad weather may stop the fishing. Good thing we didnt have it all riding on one or two days to fish. TJ had set us up with some of the finest captains in the northeast for 4 days of fishing if the seas would allow. Met Jason and Amy on the plane and it was a coincidence that we were all sitting on the same row. Our flight had a big tailwind so we landed an hour early. I figured that was the same wind that was blowing the seas around LOL. When we arrived they rode with me in my sweet Hyundai that we stuffed with luggage and gear.Little after 1pm we checked into best western and waited on the others as they were delayed. The best western is decent but even the non smoking rooms smell like smoke. When they arrived we head to green harbor to meet Dom for dinner at Haddads. We had a great meal (twin lobbys for me) that was reasonable...210 with tip for 9 people and several ordered lobster dishes. Dom filled us in about his trip with Kil that it was one of the days where they couldnt scare up a fish at all. We all asked the big question about weather and he said that the 13th looked bad but maybe the 14th we could go. Afterward we had some beer at the bar and played a bar game of yahtzee where for a dollar a try if you hit five of a kind you win a hugh pot of cash that had been buidling for a while. The stack was like 6 inches of one dollar bills. Fred nearly won it with a 4 of a kind roll. At least he one a big shot of tequila for it. Back to the BW for the nite....

Attached Files:

2. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Day two we cruised down to Yarmouth for a soso lunch at Olympia restuarant that anyone going that way should steer clear of. It has a lobster special on the sign that when you ask for it is sold out so they can upsell you NICE. After lunch we went to a cool little tackle store that is a OTI dealer to look around in and talk fishing. The owner is a commercial guy and had some impressive pictures of the giants they catch on 130s. He even had a 130 cracked on the counter top that he was servicing. The tackle store was next to a liquor store so Andy made a run and got himself a bottle of Wild Turkey. I did a double take and figured this guy was a pro when it came to intoxication but we never cracked it open although the 1 hour line of traffic at Sagamore bridge had us tempted. We ran to New Bedford and met Capt Richie and Dom and thier wives at Antonio's. The place serves portuguese f style seafood and its awesome. I had a paella that was a couple pounds of rice, beef, chicken, mussels, clams, shrimp, and a lobster. It was incredibly tasty and the place is highly recommended. TJ was across from me and he had huge bowl of seafood soup that had all the same stuff with a red soup. The place was great and so was the company. The capts that night decided they would check in the morning to see if we could go out in the afternoon on the 14th. Back to the BW for the night....

Attached Files:

3. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Is this a fishing board or a foodie board. I'm kind of kidding but what gives.

4. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Sorry Jared my laptop battery died. I'll have to finish in a bit. As u can see the highlight of most days was dinner so I figured I would include it.

5. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

Ya' gotta talk food.... it fuels you for FISHIN'!! ROFL!!!

6. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Thats right,what is wrong about telling every detail.Dont forget he was styling with Hyundai also!!!They only fish one day
    If you catch a 68'' fish,you suppose to write about all the other days.Go had Dan keep writing.Did TJ try his new swim bait?What kind a rod and lure did you use?How cold was it?Tell us lunch and breakfast also!!!!!
    keep posting...

7. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Day 3 we slept in waiting to hear if we could fish the afternoon. We geared up and headed for Green Harbor. Almost there we got word that it wasn’t going to lay down enough to be fishable. We were all geared and dressed up but nowhere to go. I wanted to go fishing so bad I couldn’t stand it. We started talking about chartering a 60 footer just so we could get out. When we stopped at the tackle store the guy there said he ran a 64 viking but the boss took the keys so he couldn’t take us. Then a guy shows up with a 65” fish that he caught that morning and that was another dagger in the heart. Oh well another lunch at Haddads and then back to the best western. We did make it to Boston that night for dinner at the Union Oyster House and sat in JFKs booth for dinner. The place was ancient and had a nice feel to it. Sorry about talking about too much food but the lobster ravioli was awesome. Afterward we walked around city hall plaza, quincy market, and saw the holocaust memorial. Wow there were a lot of numbers on that glass. If you’ve ever seen it you know what I mean. Back to hotel early because we might get to FISH>>>

Attached Files:

8. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

keeping my fingers crossed for ya!!!

9. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Day four FISH day… We arrived at the docks at 5:45 am and Dan Harley and his pal were there gearing up. TJ, Kevin, and Jason started testing drags and etc but my hands were so cold I couldn’t even get my fingers to work properly. Tried to test drag on one of my reel and couldn’t even do that right so I said forget it and just tried to keep warm. Chip and Dom showed up with the boats and Richie walked up as he keeps his boat in slip 1 at the marina right off the stairs. We divided up the water and sandwiches and then loaded and boarded the boats. Rue, TJ, Jason, and Amy went on Dom’s boat. Dan, his pal, and Kevin went with Chip. TJs nephew/cousin Andy, Fred, and I went with Richie. We were lucky to be on his Parker which is a pilot house and very cozy. His bow has a nice hi rail with a rod holder but since I couldn’t swim and Fred is licensed diver etc we put him up front. This was Andy’s first offshore trip so he was going to get on the job training on what he called jigging 101. Richie let us know up front that before we leave we need to have our rods ready as we may see fish on the way out very close in. I rigged myself 3 ways. Stella 10kFA on a 80lb OTI tuna sniper with 80lb JB mainline and a 100lb mono streamline leader connected to a purple OTI komodo popper on rig 1. Rig two was a Stella 20kPG on a 7.5 80lb OTI rod with 80lb suffix metered line to a 100lb mono streamline leader tied to red belly lipped shibuki. Rig three was a 665N on a OTI 600g rod with 80lb suffix metered line to a mono streamline leader with a sevenseas jig and OTI assist.
    We came out of the marina and surprisingly caught up with the other boats and they were running to our right. There were already lots of boats out and it was still barely after sunup. We started looking for birds diving, whales, or fish busting. It took less than an hour and we started seeing some activity. We had ran further north than everyone and were away from the fleet. We came to a stop and did some casting with Fred throwing a OTI wave dancer on the bow and me throwing a OTI popper in the back. Andy dropped a diamond jig off the side of the boat too. Rich gave him some instruction about how to work a jig and keep the tip free of the line and he was working it and caught a dogfish right away and got a feel for the rod he was using. About 10 mins later he felt he could take a break and sit down while the jig was dropping and then all of sudden something tried to steal the rod out of his hands. It was on only for maybe 30 seconds but at least Andy now had an idea of how hard these things pull.
    Richie yelled to pull the lines in because out of nowhere tuna started crashing all over. It was nuts they were airing out all over the place. BIG ones too. We would run and cast, run and cast over and over. We came up on some fish jumping and we both cast at same time, me a shibuki and Fred a unweighted sluggo. The fish came tight on Fred about 20 feet from the boat. At the same time two tuna jumped over my line. The crazy thing was that one was twice the size as the other. Fred fought his fish for a good 20 minutes before the hook pulled. We radio’d out what was going on and started all over again. We soon found some more fish and started casting and jigging again. I casted at the fish and brought my lure back in missing the rear hook. I thought it was crazy but no time to add a hook because they started busting again so I cast a one hook shibuki and get hooked up. Felt great as it stripped line off the reel. I started pumping and winding but about 10 minutes in the hook pulled. I took off the 4/0 hook remaining hook and put on 3/0 because I noticed much better action with one hook than two so I figured smaller hook has better action. Soon after that while blind casting I had a fish come up and smash my lure. I had a fish tight on my shibuki that had two hooks on it this time. The fish took off at top speed tailwalking for a bit and headed away from us. I got him close to the boat and after fighting another fish right before this hookup I was a little spent so I handed the rod to Fred. Im not a glory hound and really wanted to make sure we landed a fish so Fred finished the fish off in about 5 minutes . The fish was only 46 inches but fought like a huge yellowfin. When I saw the fish I was thinking to myself I can’t believe I passed the rod that size fish. They pull harder than expected for their size. They are like huge blackfin.
    Richie pushed on and started looking for more crashing tuna but only found whales… we whale watched for a bit as it was spectacular to see 20 plus whales around you and they were sometimes 15ft from the boat. At that time we started blind casting around the whales and Richie had two bites on sluggo really close to the boat but couldn’t keep the fish on. All of us fished for a while at this point and listened to radio chatter for amusement. The blue fish started biting and while Andy was reeling one up on one side of the boat Richie asked me to take the rod he was jigging with and reel it up. As I was reeling it up the line screamed off the reel and broke. Capt said it was new line on his reel but who knows what could have caused it. By this time we had 6 bites and it appeared from the tuna hotline on the radio that it was dead out there. We headed to the beach and jigged up a couple dogfish and blues and then drove around looking at depthfinder for life. Did really see any thing so we headed back out to a shipwreck that held bait and jigged that spot. We had some more bluefish and then all of a sudden I saw Andy almost fall over. He said he was thinking about what kind of sandwich to have when the fish hit his jig and took rod straight down in water but didn’t stay on the hook. Wow we all had a laugh at that one.
    We heard on the radio that TJ had a big fish on that he wasn’t making any ground on. He had it on for 45 minutes and it was just leaving the boat taking drag at will and couldn’t be turned and later pulled the hook. That night TJ told me that he had the alutecnos on full and thumbing it while harnessed in and couldn’t turn it. It was a MONSTAH! I didn’t hear much from Kevin, Dan and crew but did find out that sometime during the day they landed a fish hooked while trolling a shibuki. I also heard on the radio that on Pametfisher’s boat that Shindongman hooked one that they needed to borrow a harpoon for.
    Back on our boat we were just cruising looking for life and when we ran over something on the sonar we stopped an fished it. Well one of those times Richie’s instincts worked and I blind casted shibuki and had a fish flash up and hit my lure. It smoked off into the deep blue and we had to take off after it. After chasing for a while Richie told me to fight it from a dead boat. I asked him to let me use his shoulder harness as these fish are not F(*&^ing around out here. I strapped up and this fish whipped the shit out of me. I mean it killed me. I had him within 20 ft twice and 30ft once. Every noise would make this fish run, the boat engine, other boat, and even dropping cooler on deck. After more than 1 hour and 20 minutes the fish took 6 or 7 colors off the reel and my back was fried. I handed Fred he worked him for 20 more minutes and then Richie worked him for 10 minutes. Finally we had him up and Richie leadered him in and asked me to harpoon it. I was like hell yea I never even gaffed fish before and now I get to stab the muthertrucker… I shot that fish right in the face and it was over. We heaved em in and took some photos and taped him a little over 67 but not quite 68 if you want to be exact. Then capt bled and gutted the fish and iced em down in a saltwater slush. We had a over and under fish and were heading back in and we heard on the radio that TJ hooked a fish 3 miles from the harbor.
    I know we flew up here for several days and only got to fish one, but you have more chances on one day here than a lot of days in the gulf for big tuna. For 900$ (no fuel charges) a day fishing 4 people comfortably per boat this is the best deal in the US for Tuna especially if you want a big one with a short boat ride. Thanks TJ for putting this together, thanks to Richie for making it happen on the water, and thanks to Andy and Fred for the teamwork on the boat. It was a great fishing experience. That nite we ate toro sashimi right off the fish and then met the other fisherman at Haddads for some more great food and conversation.

Attached Files:

10. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Today was the last day we had scheduled to fish but we couldn’t due to weather. So we made the best of it. A trip to Fenway, a visit to China town for dim sum, some bowling and billiards as well. Things got better on the way back to the hotel when Capt Richie sent me a email letting me know that he had 100lbs of tuna packed and frozen for me ready to pickup on the way to the airport. RICHIE you are the coolest.. thanks again.

Attached Files:

11. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Day four FISH day… We arrived at the docks at 5:45 am and Dan Harley and his pal were there gearing up. TJ, Kevin, and Jason started testing drags and etc but my hands were so cold I couldn’t even get my fingers to work properly. Tried to test drag on one of my reel and couldn’t even do that right so I said forget it and just tried to keep warm. Chip and Dom showed up with the boats and Richie walked up as he keeps his boat in slip 1 at the marina right off the stairs. We divided up the water and sandwiches and then loaded and boarded the boats. Rue, TJ, Jason, and Amy went on Dom’s boat. Dan, his pal, and Kevin went with Chip. TJs nephew/cousin Andy, Fred, and I went with Richie. We were lucky to be on his Parker which is a pilot house and very cozy. His bow has a nice hi rail with a rod holder but since I couldn’t swim and Fred is licensed diver etc we put him up front. This was Andy’s first offshore trip so he was going to get on the job training on what he called jigging 101. Richie let us know up front that before we leave we need to have our rods ready as we may see fish on the way out very close in. I rigged myself 3 ways. Stella 10kFA on a 80lb OTI tuna sniper with 80lb JB mainline and a 100lb mono streamline leader connected to a purple OTI komodo popper on rig 1. Rig two was a Stella 20kPG on a 7.5 80lb OTI rod with 80lb suffix metered line to a 100lb mono streamline leader tied to red belly lipped shibuki. Rig three was a 665N on a OTI 600g rod with 80lb suffix metered line to a mono streamline leader with a sevenseas jig and OTI assist.
    We came out of the marina and surprisingly caught up with the other boats and they were running to our right. There were already lots of boats out and it was still barely after sunup. We started looking for birds diving, whales, or fish busting. It took less than an hour and we started seeing some activity. We had ran further north than everyone and were away from the fleet. We came to a stop and did some casting with Fred throwing a OTI wave dancer on the bow and me throwing a OTI popper in the back. Andy dropped a diamond jig off the side of the boat too. Rich gave him some instruction about how to work a jig and keep the tip free of the line and he was working it and caught a dogfish right away and got a feel for the rod he was using. About 10 mins later he felt he could take a break and sit down while the jig was dropping and then all of sudden something tried to steal the rod out of his hands. It was on only for maybe 30 seconds but at least Andy now had an idea of how hard these things pull.
    Richie yelled to pull the lines in because out of nowhere tuna started crashing all over. It was nuts they were airing out all over the place. BIG ones too. We would run and cast, run and cast over and over. We came up on some fish jumping and we both cast at same time, me a shibuki and Fred a unweighted sluggo. The fish came tight on Fred about 20 feet from the boat. At the same time two tuna jumped over my line. The crazy thing was that one was twice the size as the other. Fred fought his fish for a good 20 minutes before the hook pulled. We radio’d out what was going on and started all over again. We soon found some more fish and started casting and jigging again. I casted at the fish and brought my lure back in missing the rear hook. I thought it was crazy but no time to add a hook because they started busting again so I cast a one hook shibuki and get hooked up. Felt great as it stripped line off the reel. I started pumping and winding but about 10 minutes in the hook pulled. I took off the 4/0 hook remaining hook and put on 3/0 because I noticed much better action with one hook than two so I figured smaller hook has better action. Soon after that while blind casting I had a fish come up and smash my lure. I had a fish tight on my shibuki that had two hooks on it this time. The fish took off at top speed tailwalking for a bit and headed away from us. I got him close to the boat and after fighting another fish right before this hookup I was a little spent so I handed the rod to Fred. Im not a glory hound and really wanted to make sure we landed a fish so Fred finished the fish off in about 5 minutes . The fish was only 46 inches but fought like a huge yellowfin. When I saw the fish I was thinking to myself I can’t believe I passed the rod that size fish. They pull harder than expected for their size. They are like huge blackfin.
    Richie pushed on and started looking for more crashing tuna but only found whales… we whale watched for a bit as it was spectacular to see 20 plus whales around you and they were sometimes 15ft from the boat. At that time we started blind casting around the whales and Richie had two bites on sluggo really close to the boat but couldn’t keep the fish on. All of us fished for a while at this point and listened to radio chatter for amusement. The blue fish started biting and while Andy was reeling one up on one side of the boat Richie asked me to take the rod he was jigging with and reel it up. As I was reeling it up the line screamed off the reel and broke. Capt said it was new line on his reel but who knows what could have caused it. By this time we had 6 bites and it appeared from the tuna hotline on the radio that it was dead out there. We headed to the beach and jigged up a couple dogfish and blues and then drove around looking at depthfinder for life. Did really see any thing so we headed back out to a shipwreck that held bait and jigged that spot. We had some more bluefish and then all of a sudden I saw Andy almost fall over. He said he was thinking about what kind of sandwich to have when the fish hit his jig and took rod straight down in water but didn’t stay on the hook. Wow we all had a laugh at that one.
    We heard on the radio that TJ had a big fish on that he wasn’t making any ground on. He had it on for 45 minutes and it was just leaving the boat taking drag at will and couldn’t be turned and later pulled the hook. That night TJ told me that he had the alutecnos on full and thumbing it while harnessed in and couldn’t turn it. It was a MONSTAH! I didn’t hear much from Kevin, Dan and crew but did find out that sometime during the day they landed a fish hooked while trolling a shibuki. I also heard on the radio that on Pametfisher’s boat that Shindongman hooked one that they needed to borrow a harpoon for.
    Back on our boat we were just cruising looking for life and when we ran over something on the sonar we stopped an fished it. Well one of those times Richie’s instincts worked and I blind casted shibuki and had a fish flash up and hit my lure. It smoked off into the deep blue and we had to take off after it. After chasing for a while Richie told me to fight it from a dead boat. I asked him to let me use his shoulder harness as these fish are not F(*&^ing around out here. I strapped up and this fish whipped the shit out of me. I mean it killed me. I had him within 20 ft twice and 30ft once. Every noise would make this fish run, the boat engine, other boat, and even dropping cooler on deck. After more than 1 hour and 20 minutes the fish took 6 or 7 colors off the reel and my back was fried. I handed Fred he worked him for 20 more minutes and then Richie worked him for 10 minutes. Finally we had him up and Richie leadered him in and asked me to harpoon it. I was like hell yea I never even gaffed fish before and now I get to stab the muthertrucker… I shot that fish right in the face and it was over. We heaved em in and took some photos and taped him a little over 67 but not quite 68 if you want to be exact. Then capt bled and gutted the fish and iced em down in a saltwater slush. We had a over and under fish and were heading back in and we heard on the radio that TJ hooked a fish 3 miles from the harbor.
    I know we flew up here for several days and only got to fish one, but you have more chances on one day here than a lot of days in the gulf for big tuna. For 900$ (no fuel charges) a day fishing 4 people comfortably per boat this is the best deal in the US for Tuna especially if you want a big one with a short boat ride. Thanks TJ for putting this together, thanks to Richie for making it happen on the water, and thanks to Andy and Fred for the teamwork on the boat. It was a great fishing experience. That nite we ate toro sashimi right off the fish and then met the other fisherman at Haddads for some more great food and conversation.

Way to go man! This is why we fish these waters. The weather and the fish beat the hell out of you but you feel great at the end of the day. Congratulations!

12. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

Hey Dan - great play by play. Sorry you guys didn't get to fish more days but at least you got em!!! Thanks for having me and MJ (Mike Johnson) out with you guys it was a blast!!!

Weather is freezing and rainy here in the NE - it was snowing on the ride home so much we had to stop atfor a bit lol

13. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

Nice! Glad you out one day and got into some nice fish. It's been tough to get out lately up here.

14. MJ4

MJ4 Senior Member

It was great to meet all of you.Thanks for having us.This was my first trip to Cape Cod and I am very happy that I got to take part in this fishery.I will definitely be goin back soon.I wish the weather wouldve cooperated a lil more for yas but atleast you got out.Thanks again and I look forward to fishing with all of you again. Mike

15. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

great job guys, too bad y'all only got to fish one day. still a productive day. sounds like good times were had.

16. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

Just to piggyback on this thread.

Capt Dom and all of his Capt's are First Class! I will be back, I think TJ already booked days on the water. I would recommend this group of guides to anyone wanting to fish for bluefin tuna. Thanks for the wonderful trip.

17. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Hey Dan
    since you got 68'' fish,can I say hi to you in public?????

18. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Only if u promise to go with me next year. I'm glad u enjoyed the tuna. That belly toro looked just like bacon and tasted butter!

19. Black Rose

Black Rose Site Sponsor

Dan, Did the sushi make it onto the plane? Nothing like fresh tuna! Had a blast with you all....about 8 months for Andy to practice fishing some more! LOL. Never seen anyone smile as much as he did. Thanks again!