360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
That fish is on my bucket list.

Details, on the troll, fly lining, bait, lure, ect.

Inquiring minds what to know!

East Coast I assume? Not familiar with the name Hydrographers Canyon.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That fish is on my bucket list.

Details, on the troll, fly lining, bait, lure, ect.

Inquiring minds what to know!

East Coast I assume? Not familiar with the name Hydrographers Canyon.
Canyons off of cape cod Massachusetts.
Frozen whole squid. 300ft down. Green glow stick 10ft above bait. Blue light 30ft above bait. Big sharp bait hook. 300lb flurocarbon leader. Need heavy leader or the sword can cut you off.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would have never guessed a Mahi-Mahi/Dorado would get that far north. Learn something new everyday.

I have used lights before but at the bait/lure not up the line.

Never heard of staggering them like that. How are they secured, rubber bands?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would have never guessed a Mahi-Mahi/Dorado would get that far north. Learn something new everyday.

I have used lights before but at the bait/lure not up the line.

Never heard of staggering them like that. How are they secured, rubber bands?
Yes rubber bands. They follow the gulf stream up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I guess they do, never figured they'd go that far north being a semi-tropical fish.

One of my favorite eating fish by the way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, that is amazing that you are able to target them from a party boat. Are the guys deep dropping going on opposite parts of the boat and are limited by the crew or it’s anyone who wants to do it ? How often do you tangle ? Pretty cool picture of that streak.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, that is amazing that you are able to target them from a party boat. Are the guys deep dropping going on opposite parts of the boat and are limited by the crew or it’s anyone who wants to do it ? How often do you tangle ? Pretty cool picture of that streak.
We are only dropping 300ft down. No rule. Anyone can drop anywhere. People tangle constantly. Bunch of assholes that wont reel up. We broke off on this swordfish. There were around 10 peoplw tangled on it. Someone else reeled up the tangle and our line was still held in the tangle. We ended up hand lining the fish in. Pretty crazy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I guess it’s different energy place but I remember being an angler etiquette when someone would hook up or walk a big fish down the rail. Most guys reel in their line and make room for the guy that is hooked up . I wouldn’t want anyone to loose a nice fish because of my line

1 - 12 of 12 Posts