360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can i say great hook up ratio but are landing ratio s**ked.

Fished with my brother and a few buddies on the Black Rose with Capt Rich.
We went 1 for 7:eek: Dimitrious lost 2 on jigs, my brother Ismael lost 1
on a Dorado Slyder and i lost 3, a monster on a Drift Tune jig and Valador
stickbait, we just couldent keep them on the hook:eek: We did land 1 fish
the smallest of the year on a jig.

Capt Rich did a amazing job as well as Capt Dom who Rich was net working with. I also got to meet Nicola from Caranx in Spain very nice humble guy.
Still lots of tuna in the area should be good for a few weeks.

·
1,482 Posts
curious - what size hooks? what tackle were you using(rods, reel, etc..)?

p.s. id take your bad day over one of my good days, any day!

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
curious - what size hooks? what tackle were you using(rods, reel, etc..)?

p.s. id take your bad day over one of my good days, any day!

DoubleA,

Gear used

Carpenter,Smith, Ocean Revalution popping rods
Hots Wei World, Smith AMJ, Fisherman Spinoza Short jigging rods
Stella 10000,18000,20000 reels. New and old school SW
ST 66 Trebles
Tuna Pen, Dorado Slyder, Tail Walk Guns stickbaits.

·
1,323 Posts
John, great job as always. It would be odd to see a picture of you NOT holding a tuna or some other big fish:p

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gotta stop field-testing those rubber hooks!

LOL.... I told them im only testing those thing one time:p

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John, great job as always. It would be odd to see a picture of you NOT holding a tuna or some other big fish:p

Thanks Andy, maybe we can get that rod done this winter.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
great report john glad to see you found them

Glenn,

Thanks buddy.... Maybe we can get out again some time.

·
Site Sponsor
689 Posts
John,

Great day! Next day out...We didn't think we'd make it out on Wednesday because of the weather, but we hung around and left at 10:30....We jigged, only jigged, and landed 4/5 hooked fish. The 5th fish hit on the drop and went down at 100 mph and the hook pulled when he put the reel in gear. Pretty insane... All 65+ inch fish.

But then yesterday....we got officially spooled for the first time! Spooled as in "18 seconds of holding on fruitlessly". Ie, I wasn't even able to spin the boat around before we had a bare spool and shaking fisherman. It hit a tuna candy 12" at the boat and never stopped. Mammoth.

Good seeing you and everyone else on Tuesday. Thanks! Rich

·
Site Sponsor
689 Posts
Hi Armand,

This time it wasn't the hooks....though I agree...I hate treble hooks on lures. Releasing three 150 pound tuna on Wednesday all caught on jigs... It was easy... I was able to leader the fish, pop the boat in gear, and keep the fish alongside the boat while holding onto the jig. When it was time to take the hook out, it was simple and the fish swam away. You can't do that with treble hooks and these big fish.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice work John! Great seeing you out there slaying big fish as usual :)

Hi Al,

Thanks buddy, nice to hear from you.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
John,

Great day! Next day out...We didn't think we'd make it out on Wednesday because of the weather, but we hung around and left at 10:30....We jigged, only jigged, and landed 4/5 hooked fish. The 5th fish hit on the drop and went down at 100 mph and the hook pulled when he put the reel in gear. Pretty insane... All 65+ inch fish.

But then yesterday....we got officially spooled for the first time! Spooled as in "18 seconds of holding on fruitlessly". Ie, I wasn't even able to spin the boat around before we had a bare spool and shaking fisherman. It hit a tuna candy 12" at the boat and never stopped. Mammoth.

Good seeing you and everyone else on Tuesday. Thanks! Rich

Rich,

Had a great time fishing with you as alway's. Like to get up there one last
time before its over.

·
391 Posts
Hi Armand,

This time it wasn't the hooks....though I agree...I hate treble hooks on lures. Releasing three 150 pound tuna on Wednesday all caught on jigs... It was easy... I was able to leader the fish, pop the boat in gear, and keep the fish alongside the boat while holding onto the jig. When it was time to take the hook out, it was simple and the fish swam away. You can't do that with treble hooks and these big fish.

Great Work Captain ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts