Cape Cod Bluefin Beginner Setups

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by mbutcka, Mar 22, 2020.

1. mbutcka

mbutcka New Member

I am getting my boat set up to chase bluefin off the cape this year. So far I’ve bought two rods and two reels- a 7’ Van Staal 325 and an 8’ 2” Grappler H, and a Saragossa 20k and 25k.

I would like to add two more rigs to my arsenal, one jigging and one popping. The jig rod will probably be a Jigging World from Crafty One, I’ll head to the shop and talk to those guys about it after this virus mess is over. For popping I really like the Grappler (admittedly just casting off a dock and picking up weights in my yard) but was wondering if I would be best served picking up another H or if I should grab an XH?

I also have questions about reels. I was wondering if the Twinpower 14k reels are up to the task? If so I’d pick up a couple and put them on the grapplers, and put the gosas on the VS and JW rods. I was thinking if they are a good choice I’d fill them with 80lb max cuatro. If they’re not recommended I’d just pick up another couple of gosas. Obviously I’d love to have a full set of Stellas but budget is a concern.

2. bigtexas

bigtexas Well-Known Member

Skip the TPs and use all saragosas, there is minimal difference between the two.

Don’t overlook the ghost hunter line for both jig and pop rods - they’re nice rods for the price. In my experience most shimano (non japan) rods are poorly built. i’ve experienced extensive cracking and yellowing on them within one season.

mbutcka and BADASSCHINITO like this.

3. BADASSCHINITO

BADASSCHINITO Active Member

Agreed with skipping the TPs. I had a Saragosa 25k for a while and it performed flawlessly- I recently upgraded to a Dogfight. You might be able to find a good deal on a Stella now if you have a bit of extra cash, especially with some stores honoring "Show Specials". I also picked up a JW Ghost Hunter 200 last month. Very solid rod for the price- haven't blessed it yet with anything over 60lbs yet. Dont forget to save some money on poppers and stickbaits! They can get expensive

mbutcka likes this.
  4. mbutcka

mbutcka New Member

Saragosas it is then! Would you recommend the 200 or 300 ghost hunter?

I’ll keep an eye on the wraps on the grappler, if I’m happy with the rod and that happens I’ll rewrap it, otherwise it’ll just get retired.

5. mbutcka

mbutcka New Member

Awesome, now I just need to decide between the 200 and 300.

I hear you on the lures, I’ve got 6 dorado sliders and 6 nomad riptides so far, I think the higher end stuff will get added slowly but surely.

BADASSCHINITO likes this.
  6. BADASSCHINITO

BADASSCHINITO Active Member

What size gosa are you looking to get? I tried the GH300 in store and it could get VERY tiring if you are throwing all day, id say youre good with the 150 or 200

7. mbutcka

mbutcka New Member

20k, yeah no reason to get beat up before you hookup

8. Angler229

Angler229 New Member

I'd stick with a ghost hunter 200. I have the 150, 200, and 300 and fish the Cape. The 200 is a solid rod that is easier to work baits with and pretty forgiving the 300 will wear you out. I think the 150 is to light for the class of fish on the Cape the last few years. The picture is a crafty one custom gh200 on a 500+ lb fish we fought for 3.5 hours.

Attached Files:

9. DoubleA

DoubleA Senior Member

for the price and size, I would stick with the saragosa too.

my current goto BFT jigging setup for CC and OBX is an acid wrapped BH450 and a JM PE8 LHed. I really like that setup and would encourage a similar one, as there are more affordable options for both of those. I like fighting the good BFT on the conventional reels better, and if you ever want to use a harness, its way easier to snap into a conventional reel.

I just ordered an accurate valiant 600NN to try out for jigging in the gulf. If it works, that seems like a very well built options for a decent price. the BV2-800N looks like the right fit.

this place is the resource for sure, someone will suggest something, or you can grab something used.

mbutcka likes this.
  10. Kenzta

Kenzta Active Member

I'm sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm also looking for a setup for BFT in the cape. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm greatly appreciated.

11. DoubleA

DoubleA Senior Member

Have you purchased anything so far? The cape is an interesting fishery because sometimes you can catch them in a couple hundred ft of water, and sometimes it's in a couple thousand. My two favorite jigging setups right now are a 20k spinner with a 450g class rod and a conventional counterpart with an acid wrapped 450g setup; specifically, an old blue JDM Stella 20k with a blackhole 450g (BH450) and a Jigging Master PE8 reel with a BH450 acid wrapped.
    I have not found a jigging rod I like more than the blackhole, mainly for their extreme durability, if you can afford to have one built, I would absolutely suggest it, cant go wrong.
    https://jignpop.com/black-hole-usa-cape-cod-special-1pc-jigging-rods-80g-150g-250g-350g-450g/

There are very affordable options instead of the stellas, blackholes, and jigging master. Someone else can suggest the budget jigging rod, as I am pretty out of touch, I havent researched any of that stuff in a while, a new Saragosa would be a good spinner to start with and an accurate valiant would be a good conventional.

Those are obviously jigging setups, if I was showing up to the cape I would show up with one jigging and one popping setup to cast to them. Again, I have not researched these rods in forever, back in the day the OTIs were good starter popping rods, and I run a stella 14k with a 20k spool (14k is for the faster gear ratio) and a Spinal popper. Another Saragosa would do just fine here. Let some members who are more in tune with the rod market today chime in. If I was buying a high-end popper I would probably try a blackhole nano or the Saltywater Tackle ones, because I have heard nothing but good things about the SWT ones and I'm a blackhole fanboy, if you are going to spend more than a couple hundred bucks, i would have it custom made, IMO.
    https://www.spinalrods.com/products/popping-rods/factory-rods/
    https://www.saltywatertackle.com/home/29-saltywater-tackle-race-point-250.html
    https://jignpop.com/black-hole-76-80-86-cape-cod-special-nano-popping-rods/
    http://www.oceantackle.net/rods.html (OTI = Ocean Tackle International)

**A note on custom rod builders: I have been through a lot of rod builders, this guy is the best I've found so far. Not only on build quality, which is ridiculous, dude is an artist! but also his ability to listen to you, as the customer, and deliver what you talked about, which I think is the hardest thing to find in a builder, speaking from a lot of experience. I've got $900 beautiful custom rods sitting in a corner, that ill never use, because the builder didn't listen to me and delivered something I didn't ask for. @mike garone - I'm sure you could talk to him about a budget build too, jigging or popping. I am not big on factory rods for BFT.
    https://garonerods.com/

Good luck - its an addicting fishery to get into. First trip and you'll be hooked forever. the OBX is also a great fishery, different, but great. If you gear up for CCB BFT, you can take the same gear and go fish OBX.

12. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

Thanks for the shout out!

DoubleA likes this.
  13. DoubleA

DoubleA Senior Member

yea man, your stuff is the best. I'm about ready for another one.... BH150g orrrrrr BH450g acid wrap..... decisions decisions

14. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

Let me know and we will get the ball rolling