Capacity of ATD 12?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Uncle Russ, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

TJ: I know you sold a used ATD 12 some time back. Do you remember off hand what the capcity of that reel would be in JB 130 hollow or preferably JB 80 hollow, assuming no top shot.

Also, does anyone have a rough feeling for how this reel would compare in size (width and depth) with the ATD 6? I feel like the 6 might be too small for chunking, or at least not ideal, so I am leaning to the 12 which is advertised as only 4 ounces heavier.

On the other hand, maybe I should pay a hundred bucks more and go with the ATD 30, but I already have a 50 wide, so I think the smaller reel would be more useful, especially since I no longer own a 665 20speed. Thanks.

Russ

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Uncle Russ,

I think you can filled the ATD 12 with 450-500 yards of JB 80, maybe about 350 yards of JB 130.

ATD 6 is small reel for chunking, but it can get the job done.
    Rick let me use his ATD 12 on few fishing trips and that become one of my favorite reel. The ATD 12 is very versatile reel in my opinion. I sold my ATD 30 was planning to replace it with ATD 12 but I neve did.

If I have to choose between Boss 665 2-speed and ATD 12, I would go with ATD12 in a heart beat. JMO

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Thanks, TJ. I just wish I had bought that 12 from you that you were selling. I really had my heart set on the 665 2-speed because it was so light--and who knows, my buddy and I may be the only ones in America who had problems. I certainly do hope that is the case. I love Accurate, from the point of view of my very limited experience. I even thought about buying another Twinspin 30 in the lower gear, but that would be ridiculous. So I am leaning heavily toward the ATD 12.

Russ

4. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

5. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

hmmm. just added another item to my "Santa's List"....lol.

6. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Excellent, SkeeterRonnie, I had seen that but forgotten it existed. As to Santa, why settle for an ATD 12 when you could get a Fin-Nor?

Russ

7. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

I filled mine with around 300 yds of 65 hollow spliced to close to 300 yds of 80 Hollow... maybe just a wee bit less. I am satisfied fishing just about any top shot with this rig. And yes, Cows are included in its application for both bait, jigs and poppers... Hopefully this will be the year for it. A truely Awsome reel.

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

TJ and fishordie: Did you ever maximum drag at the highest setting of the preset lever with a 12? (Not that it isn't, I'm sure, capable of more drag than I am. :) )Thanks.

Russ

9. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

Russ,

I have never fished any of my Accurates at Max due to never finding an occasion to do so. As you noted these things put out way more smooth drag than I can reasonably use. I normally fish my 12 with 26 pounds at strike. I forget what it gets on full preset but at that setting it is more than enough for me. I am rarely more than a little past strike unless we have flat seas... and that rarely happens.

I have put more aggressive cams on my bigger Accurates so I can go from 26 at strike to over 60 pounds at full without adjusting the preset. I did not put that cam on this reel as I still get around 40 at full with the preset on 26 at strike.

Jamie