Cancelled a fishing trip... but it was worth it!!

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by LEXPRO, Jul 16, 2008.

1. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Was supposed to go fishing this week but had to cancel... it was worth it. Had a great time...

lost deposit for cancelled fishing trip $100
    ticket to all star game in the nose bleeds $500
    10000lbs of jet fuel......glad i didnt have to pay that bill $$$
    not sleeping since monday nite... still paying for that.
    seeing my buddy fall asleep in the extra innings... priceless

Attached Files:

2. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

you will get lot's of mileage out of the last pic!

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Don't forget something else that was priceless--seeing the last game in Yankee Stadium--Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra, Rizzuto, Ford...

Russ

4. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

So lucky..... I wish I could get to the stadium before it's torn down but, I dont see that happening. Never been to Yankee stadium, Yet i've been an avid yankee fan forever. Just doesn't seem right that in a matter of a few months time, what is now the equivalent of the cathedrals in rome will be torn down, leveled, and thrown away like all other ruble and turned into a parking lot. I know it sounds harsh but im sorta glad in a way that bobby mercer died before seeing it torn down. I think that would have killed him anway. On the other hand I do wish he could have at least broadcasted from the new stadium. Hopefully Bob sheppard will announce the first game in the new stadium I think its only fitting.:)

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Back when I was a kid, everyone on earth was either a Yankee fan or Brooklyn Dodger fan. I was for Brooklyn--then in the 1954 (I think) World Series, the Yanks had the first perfect game in series history against my beloved Dodgers. I got so much flak from the other kids, I did what any red-blooded American boy would do--I switched my allegiance to the Yankees. One of my earliest memories was my Dad calling me into the front of our 2-room house and telling me to listen to the radio with him--it was the last game for a legend--Joe Dimaggio.

I never went to a game there, but I will miss that stadium. Like old Uncle Russ, it has outlived its welcome. :)

Russ

6. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Yogi was there and got a huge ovation when they announced him as catching the perfect game in the series......

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I thought it was '56 when larson threw the perfect game?

I've been there 3 times. The stadium itself is kind of a dump.......until you walk out and see the field. Then it's awesome.

8. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

I have alot of respect for Joe D. I find it astonishing that he gave his farewell speech in front of all those fans who loved and respected him and never shed a tear even though inside he knew he was dying. Strong man I know i couldn't do it. Your not the only one UR, when I was little (not all that long ago) My dad used to put a red sox hat on my head, but as soon as i was old enough to understnad what was goin on I switched to the yankees and never regreted it for a minute. In the last 10 years how many incidents have the yankees had. I'm not saying there better than anyone but just the way they carry themselves shows pride and class. Look at coco crisp ( what kind of degenerate retard names there kid that) Running and charging the mound. Or the o's and sox bench clearing hell even the bullpens emptied. Minor league the red sox guy kicks the catcher then attacks the pitcher, manny and youkalis fight ? Oh and let us not forget Pedro throwing don zimmer to the ground.

9. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Bret: Right you are--'56. I was in sixth grade.

newkid: You might be thinking of Gehrig's farewell speech--not sure.

Back in 1960 or '61, a group of major leaguers visited San Antonio for an all-star game against the AA Missions. The only ones I remember were: Riverboat Smith, Jim Lemon, Harmon Killebrew, and one of my Yankee heros: the great reliever, Rhine Duren--probably over 100 MPH fast ball no breaking ball, no change-up--and no eyesight--his glasses were like the bottom of coke bottles, and whenever he came into the game in late innings, Yogi would hold the mitt like he was protecting his head--and Duren would toss the first warmup or two into the screen behind the plate. The hitter tended not to dig in too deep. :D

Anyway, I went to the game and then to a clinic they held afterward at the new commercial batting facility they all co-owned--the real reason for the visit. Well, it just so happened I had a catchers mitt--God alone knows why--I was an outfielder. Duren was talking to the pitchers and had just had a cast off his broken pitching arm. He asked if anyone had a mitt and little Russ held up his hand.

"Go put on the mask and gear and get behind the plate,"
    Duren said. "I won't need it," I replied, "there is no batter." "Put on on the mask and gear, Son," Duren said. So I did. He made his point with the pitchers, showed them the grip--didn't even do the simplest warmup, flicked his wrist--no body behind it. And nearly killed me. I could barely see the ball coming. I put my mit up in desperation and the ball hit it, nearly destroying my hand--before bouncing up into my mask and knocking me back. And there was everybody--laughing their ass off--but I was the one rolling on the floor--or in that case the ground.

So I never made it to the Bigs, but I came close. :) Hell, I caught Rhine Duren.

We didn't have many TV stations in those days and games were only televised on the weekend. But in '61 when Maris and Mantle were chasing the record, they televised all the final few games--and we got to watch Maris tie and beat the record. Of course there was an asterisk because of the extra 8 games he had. Now they don't even want to put an asterisk on for the worthless bastards who have ruined the game with steroids, gambling--you name it.

I no longer care about or follow professional sports. But I will always be glad I got to watch the game when it was still that. And Yankee Stadium was the game we loved back then.

Maybe it is appropriate that it should be a parking lot--or whatever Steinbrenner and the City allow it to become now. Steinbrenner ranks right there with 'roids and gambling in my book.

Russ

10. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Yep. My bad your correct i was thing of Gehrig, not Joe D.
    Thats awesome I wish I had some kick a$$ storys like that.

11. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

newkid: No you don't wish that--because then you would be an old fart with nothing better to do with your time than ***** about the "good old days" while drooling oatmeal all over yourself. :D

Russ

12. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Shyt now that you put it that way ..... im good ill pass thanks anyway:D Ur im sure your not THAT old. Now that I think about it, i'm glad im not older cause i'd probably be dead. An overweight Goofy caucasion male, who is pro choice, thinks being gay is totally fine, loves guns and all other things usually frowned upon in this dumba$$ state of CT, Thinks religion is nothing more than dumb people arguing over who has the best imaginary friend, has major anger issues and usually winds up throwing punches instead of using my above average I.Q. to verbaly difuse the situation. Oh well everyone is different I suppose that's what makes horse racing :]

13. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Shyt now that you put it that way ..... im good ill pass thanks anyway:D Ur im sure your not THAT old. :]

Yes he is!!!:D

14. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Damn, you guys are horrible...LMAO:eek: :D

15. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Tony: If you look in the dictionary under "old", you will find Jerry's picture there--only trouble is he'll be smiling over a hundred-pound A.J.

Russ

16. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

And if memory serves me right, I believe there might be a shot of that slob mako he caught as well;)

17. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Damn, you guys are horrible...LMAO:eek: :D

I'm honest, Russ is a lawyer! :eek: :D

18. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

What Jerry never points out that I stopped practicing and earned an honest living for a lot of years. :)

However, if I ever had to represent Jerry on a traffic charge I would try to plead him guilty in exchange for a life sentence. :D

Russ

19. d-a

d-a Senior Member

What Jerry never points out that I stopped practicing and earned an honest living for a lot of years. :)

However, if I ever had to represent Jerry on a traffic charge I would try to plead him guilty in exchange for a life sentence. :D

Russ

What Russ forgot to tell you was he was working for the government for those years of "honest living".

d-a

20. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Russ

It's getting DEEP in here! Russ and honest on the same page? :eek: :rolleyes:

Government employee and work? Oh My!

:D

My last ticket was $200.
    The one before that was in the 60's: $1000 fine, 90 days locked up, one year probation and a years loss of license. The judge thought I knocked up both of his daughters.