Can someone post some coast guard pics from the 76hr trip?

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by bluedude, Jul 15, 2008.

1. bluedude

bluedude Senior Member

I saw several people taking pics when they came out to pick up Jerry, but I haven't seen any of the pics except for one which is now an avatar. I told a couple of friends about what happened and they'd like to see some pics of what happened. I figure it's alright to post them since Jerry isn't in the ground. I enjoyed fishing with you guys and meeting a few of you guys. I wish I had met a few more of you but, honestly, for the first time in about 20 years spent fishing offshore, the whole trip I was distracted, constantly thinking about this woman I had just met. Ain't that sweet? Or more likely stupid.

2. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I think folks are refraining from posting that footage out of respect for Jerry--I'm of the opinion that the more relevant footage is of those two huge donkeys he hauled up out of the deep. Maybe I don't want to see those pictures of the liftoff, because after we found out Jerry was OK, somebody (probably that snot-nosed Georgia cracker Doug) saw me coming down the stairs like a drunk looking for his bottle of Thunderbird, and told me I should have been airlifted at the same time to save the Coast Gaurd the effort the next day. :) I tell ya, I don't get no respect.

Actually, I saw somebody taking video of it all from the upper deck. I have to say it was pretty smooth--although ear shattering. What amazed me was that there wasn't any more wash from the props.

Russ

3. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I too would like to see some of those pictures.

4. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Jerry: I'll bet there are some great shots of your delicate rear end, ascending into the sky! :)

Russ

5. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

6. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

The picture in my avatar is an old one from the USCG website. It's a leftover from a project I worked on last year for some USCG friends.

I didn't take any pictures on the Big E, although it looked like quite a few did.

The real coincidence of this Big E trip is that the first movie the showed on board was "The Guardian" with Kevin Costner.

DBG

7. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have to say I really loved the movies and the heavy metal music on board the Big E. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I asked one of the deck hands whether they had any Glenn Miller and he said: "What dude?????" I don't figure those kids like Mozart either, but the way they worked their asses off, I figure what the hell, I can listen to damned near anything until my eardrums blow out. :D

Russ

8. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

I too would like to see some of those pictures.
    Since you asked from them.

A unhappy Snagged getting ready for the evac.
    [​IMG]

His new ride:
    [​IMG]

Basket coming down.
    [​IMG]

In the basket.
    [​IMG]

PJ leaving.
    [​IMG]

9. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Jerry: I'll bet there are some great shots of your delicate rear end, ascending into the sky! :)

Russ

"delicate"? Really?

Looks like the helo is " listing" a little to starboard in that last shot!:D

JK!
    -B

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

During that episode, I kept thinking of two things:

First, I was certain there must be a boat load of terrorists nearby who had seen too many Bond movies and who would momentarily launch an RPG in the general direction of Jerry's head (ruining a perfectly good grenade on impact--but lurching the copter onto the top deck where I was standing.)

And not that I would in any way compare the USCG with the some of our local police, I remember the time on the San Marcos river, where a guy had gone over Martindale Dam in a kayak, lost his paddle, and was remaining upright by paddling with his hands below the dam. The guy thought he was trapped in a dangerous hydraulic, but he was not. One of our local canoe racers, who knew more about white water rescue than 90 percent of the "rescuers" on earth ever dreamed of--asked them respectfully to have the guy jump out of his kayak, swim to the bottom and get out. They asked him to leave and lowered a rope from a chopper down to the guy, popped him up a couple of hundred feet, where his exhausted upper body failed him....and you get the picture.

Thank goodness the Coast Guard is better equipped.

11. awesum

awesum Senior Member

My camera (el cheapoheapo) has about a 2 second delay and I am always missing shots.

When I snapped this Jerry was all there and when I looked at the pic his head was gone ....:eek:

[​IMG]

This is where they were pulling him into the chopper but it's so far away you can't tell.

[​IMG]

12. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Guys,
    Just remember the Coasties are a military organization that saves lives, not takes them. They deserve much more respect than they receive.

13. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

No disrespect intended, Jerry--quite the opposite.

Russ

14. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Didn't think you were doing that.

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

how quick did they get there once the call was made??

16. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

I HAVE GOT SOME GOOD PICTURES. SCOTT LAMB HAS THEM ON HIS COMPUTER SINCE I DIDNOT KNOW HOW TO TRANSFER THEM TO THE FORUM. WE DECIDED NOT TO POST THEM UNTIL WE HEARD FROM SNAGGED. MAYBE HE WILL POST THE PICS NOW

17. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Thanks Gres.
    Scott, post up.

18. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

Just glad your old ornery arse is still around to keep me in line! U old phart! :) :) :)

19. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

And not that I would in any way compare the USCG with the some of our local police, I remember the time on the San Marcos river, where a guy had gone over Martindale Dam in a kayak, lost his paddle, and was remaining upright by paddling with his hands below the dam. The guy thought he was trapped in a dangerous hydraulic, but he was not. One of our local canoe racers, who knew more about white water rescue than 90 percent of the "rescuers" on earth ever dreamed of--asked them respectfully to have the guy jump out of his kayak, swim to the bottom and get out. They asked him to leave and lowered a rope from a chopper down to the guy, popped him up a couple of hundred feet, where his exhausted upper body failed him....and you get the picture.

Thank goodness the Coast Guard is better equipped.

Doooht. Reminds me of Homer Simpson.

Jerry, i will post some pics tonight if I get time.

20. hawgs

hawgs Member

Is there a link to the story behind the pick up? Hope everything was okay.