360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw several people taking pics when they came out to pick up Jerry, but I haven't seen any of the pics except for one which is now an avatar. I told a couple of friends about what happened and they'd like to see some pics of what happened. I figure it's alright to post them since Jerry isn't in the ground. I enjoyed fishing with you guys and meeting a few of you guys. I wish I had met a few more of you but, honestly, for the first time in about 20 years spent fishing offshore, the whole trip I was distracted, constantly thinking about this woman I had just met. Ain't that sweet? Or more likely stupid.

·
1,105 Posts
I think folks are refraining from posting that footage out of respect for Jerry--I'm of the opinion that the more relevant footage is of those two huge donkeys he hauled up out of the deep. Maybe I don't want to see those pictures of the liftoff, because after we found out Jerry was OK, somebody (probably that snot-nosed Georgia cracker Doug) saw me coming down the stairs like a drunk looking for his bottle of Thunderbird, and told me I should have been airlifted at the same time to save the Coast Gaurd the effort the next day. :) I tell ya, I don't get no respect.

Actually, I saw somebody taking video of it all from the upper deck. I have to say it was pretty smooth--although ear shattering. What amazed me was that there wasn't any more wash from the props.

Russ

·
1,105 Posts
Jerry: I'll bet there are some great shots of your delicate rear end, ascending into the sky! :)

Russ

·
663 Posts
The picture in my avatar is an old one from the USCG website. It's a leftover from a project I worked on last year for some USCG friends.

I didn't take any pictures on the Big E, although it looked like quite a few did.

The real coincidence of this Big E trip is that the first movie the showed on board was "The Guardian" with Kevin Costner.

DBG

·
1,105 Posts
I have to say I really loved the movies and the heavy metal music on board the Big E. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I asked one of the deck hands whether they had any Glenn Miller and he said: "What dude?????" I don't figure those kids like Mozart either, but the way they worked their asses off, I figure what the hell, I can listen to damned near anything until my eardrums blow out. :D

Russ

·
675 Posts
I too would like to see some of those pictures.
Since you asked from them.

A unhappy Snagged getting ready for the evac.

His new ride:

Basket coming down.

In the basket.

PJ leaving.

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
Jerry: I'll bet there are some great shots of your delicate rear end, ascending into the sky! :)

Russ

"delicate"? Really?

Looks like the helo is " listing" a little to starboard in that last shot!:D

JK!
-B

·
1,105 Posts
During that episode, I kept thinking of two things:

First, I was certain there must be a boat load of terrorists nearby who had seen too many Bond movies and who would momentarily launch an RPG in the general direction of Jerry's head (ruining a perfectly good grenade on impact--but lurching the copter onto the top deck where I was standing.)

And not that I would in any way compare the USCG with the some of our local police, I remember the time on the San Marcos river, where a guy had gone over Martindale Dam in a kayak, lost his paddle, and was remaining upright by paddling with his hands below the dam. The guy thought he was trapped in a dangerous hydraulic, but he was not. One of our local canoe racers, who knew more about white water rescue than 90 percent of the "rescuers" on earth ever dreamed of--asked them respectfully to have the guy jump out of his kayak, swim to the bottom and get out. They asked him to leave and lowered a rope from a chopper down to the guy, popped him up a couple of hundred feet, where his exhausted upper body failed him....and you get the picture.

Thank goodness the Coast Guard is better equipped.

·
623 Posts
My camera (el cheapoheapo) has about a 2 second delay and I am always missing shots.

When I snapped this Jerry was all there and when I looked at the pic his head was gone ....:eek:

This is where they were pulling him into the chopper but it's so far away you can't tell.

·
1,373 Posts
Guys,
Just remember the Coasties are a military organization that saves lives, not takes them. They deserve much more respect than they receive.

·
1,105 Posts
No disrespect intended, Jerry--quite the opposite.

Russ

·
377 Posts
I HAVE GOT SOME GOOD PICTURES. SCOTT LAMB HAS THEM ON HIS COMPUTER SINCE I DIDNOT KNOW HOW TO TRANSFER THEM TO THE FORUM. WE DECIDED NOT TO POST THEM UNTIL WE HEARD FROM SNAGGED. MAYBE HE WILL POST THE PICS NOW

·
1,025 Posts
And not that I would in any way compare the USCG with the some of our local police, I remember the time on the San Marcos river, where a guy had gone over Martindale Dam in a kayak, lost his paddle, and was remaining upright by paddling with his hands below the dam. The guy thought he was trapped in a dangerous hydraulic, but he was not. One of our local canoe racers, who knew more about white water rescue than 90 percent of the "rescuers" on earth ever dreamed of--asked them respectfully to have the guy jump out of his kayak, swim to the bottom and get out. They asked him to leave and lowered a rope from a chopper down to the guy, popped him up a couple of hundred feet, where his exhausted upper body failed him....and you get the picture.

Thank goodness the Coast Guard is better equipped.

Doooht. Reminds me of Homer Simpson.

Jerry, i will post some pics tonight if I get time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts