Calstar 700H or 700XH ???

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by rhale, Feb 14, 2009.

1. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I bought both blanks and cant decide which one I want to build for throwing Poppers. I already have a GUSA Monster Mag for my light set up so I was thinking the XH but then again I dont want to go overboard with to much rod and not be able to load it up with medium weight poppers??

This will be for my 10000FA Stella and I like to use alot of drag but my main concern is how the XH loads up? Do you need alot of weight to get good performance?

2. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

I have and use the 700xh with a stella 20000 . I got the xh because I could not find a rod with enough backbone to hold up to a big tuna when the fish is near the boat and going in the death circle. I am pleased with xh. As for casting I cant see any less distance than most other rods. The rod has a somewhat smaller butt and can be a disavantage for some when casting.Wish the butt was about six inches longer . You will have no probllem loading the xh blank. when you into the 100 lb plus tuna you will be glad you have one.

3. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I have and use the 700xh with a stella 20000 . I got the xh because I could not find a rod with enough backbone to hold up to a big tuna when the fish is near the boat and going in the death circle. I am pleased with xh. As for casting I cant see any less distance than most other rods. The rod has a somewhat smaller butt and can be a disavantage for some when casting.Wish the butt was about six inches longer . You will have no probllem loading the xh blank. when you into the 100 lb plus tuna you will be glad you have one.

Grescobia can cast anything a mile! However, everytime I talk to him about some new rod or dumb idea I have, he always says "Just give me my stella 20000 and my 700xh, that's all I need.":)