calling rod builders, need help

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by cajundave, Jul 15, 2009.

1. cajundave

cajundave Junior member

what method do you guys suggest for removing a ferrul from a rod?
    i was told heat up the ferrul and rod. what should i use as a source of heat?

2. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

be careful if the rod is glass, you can overheat and "cook" the blank. essentially destroying it

3. jig

jig Senior Member

Are you talking about taking the ferrul off the rod, or just separating a two piece rod with the ferrul stuck?

4. cajundave

cajundave Junior member

removing the ferrul from the rod

5. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

Call Savage Rods

He is in Texas, and a great guy. Specializes in Offshore rods

832. 971. 3050

6. north coast

north coast Senior Member

It depends what the ferrule was glued on with. Sometimes they are on there with something that heat wont budge.Been there. There is another way to get them off,But it takes patience and a bit of craftsmanship.
    Take a hack saw blade and CAREFULLY cut a spiral from top to bottom around the ferrule, not all the way through, but almost.you have to do this slowly and again, carefully. Then you grip the open end with pliers(needle nose work best for this) and carefully "peel" it off. If you cut it right, this works slick as shizle. I would recommend practicing on an old broken rod first,before you try this on your favorite Harnell,Or whatever.:)

7. Savage Rods

Savage Rods Member

It depends what the ferrule was glued on with. Sometimes they are on there with something that heat wont budge.Been there. There is another way to get them off,But it takes patience and a bit of craftsmanship.
    Take a hack saw blade and CAREFULLY cut a spiral from top to bottom around the ferrule, not all the way through, but almost.you have to do this slowly and again, carefully. Then you grip the open end with pliers(needle nose work best for this) and carefully "peel" it off. If you cut it right, this works slick as shizle. I would recommend practicing on an old broken rod first,before you try this on your favorite Harnell,Or whatever.:)

I agree. It works well.

Another way is with a dremel, but you best know what you're doing as you don't want to hit the blank.

8. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Hot boiling water as a heat source. No direct flames. May take a while.

9. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

If it a unibutt ferrule heat works...I have removed about a dozen from rods that had them glued on off center...If it a quality made blank calstar , seeker heat will not harm the blank..if it a I dont know who made it blank cut it off..
    I use a tourch ..I put the blank in the rod lathe with the ferrule away from the lathe chuck..Wrap some foil around the grip..Heat that sucker up from the botton to the locking nut..Take a pair of large channel locks & work it intill the glue joint gives ..Work the ferrule off let the rod cool ..Glue on a
    new ferrule...I like U40 rodbond......

Make sure you do it in a safe place sometimes the ferrule shoots off like a ICBM.........

10. Armbreaker Custom Rods

Armbreaker Custom Rods Site Sponsor

Capatain Richie made a great point there,,they do shoot off like a gun buddy,so WATCH OUT. Had one stick in my wall and another break a pane of glass. From that point on I wear protective glasses,,and now wear them quite often..hate to lose an eye