360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what method do you guys suggest for removing a ferrul from a rod?
i was told heat up the ferrul and rod. what should i use as a source of heat?

·
1,321 Posts
Are you talking about taking the ferrul off the rod, or just separating a two piece rod with the ferrul stuck?

·
3,718 Posts
It depends what the ferrule was glued on with. Sometimes they are on there with something that heat wont budge.Been there. There is another way to get them off,But it takes patience and a bit of craftsmanship.
Take a hack saw blade and CAREFULLY cut a spiral from top to bottom around the ferrule, not all the way through, but almost.you have to do this slowly and again, carefully. Then you grip the open end with pliers(needle nose work best for this) and carefully "peel" it off. If you cut it right, this works slick as shizle. I would recommend practicing on an old broken rod first,before you try this on your favorite Harnell,Or whatever.:)

·
36 Posts
It depends what the ferrule was glued on with. Sometimes they are on there with something that heat wont budge.Been there. There is another way to get them off,But it takes patience and a bit of craftsmanship.
Take a hack saw blade and CAREFULLY cut a spiral from top to bottom around the ferrule, not all the way through, but almost.you have to do this slowly and again, carefully. Then you grip the open end with pliers(needle nose work best for this) and carefully "peel" it off. If you cut it right, this works slick as shizle. I would recommend practicing on an old broken rod first,before you try this on your favorite Harnell,Or whatever.:)

I agree. It works well.

Another way is with a dremel, but you best know what you're doing as you don't want to hit the blank.

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
If it a unibutt ferrule heat works...I have removed about a dozen from rods that had them glued on off center...If it a quality made blank calstar , seeker heat will not harm the blank..if it a I dont know who made it blank cut it off..
I use a tourch ..I put the blank in the rod lathe with the ferrule away from the lathe chuck..Wrap some foil around the grip..Heat that sucker up from the botton to the locking nut..Take a pair of large channel locks & work it intill the glue joint gives ..Work the ferrule off let the rod cool ..Glue on a
new ferrule...I like U40 rodbond......

Make sure you do it in a safe place sometimes the ferrule shoots off like a ICBM.........

·
Site Sponsor
1,249 Posts
Capatain Richie made a great point there,,they do shoot off like a gun buddy,so WATCH OUT. Had one stick in my wall and another break a pane of glass. From that point on I wear protective glasses,,and now wear them quite often..hate to lose an eye

1 - 10 of 10 Posts