CAF P-40 Warhawk Update

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by Bazztex, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Final Tex Hill War Paint Photos.

AVG Victory Squadron Flying Tiger logo

[​IMG]

Tex Hill pilot signature , Panda logo and Kill flags

[​IMG]

Shark's teeth nose
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i know i missed this way back when when you started this....but are you going to fly this once it's done? how long has this taken?

at any rate, good luck, the plane looks really cool.

3. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Charlie....very cool!!
    Congrats.

4. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Charlie, Nice!
    I am wondering the same things as Bret.

5. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Thanks for the update.

A lot of man hours show

in this project of yours.

K2

6. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Bret

It will be featured by the Texas CAF in the 2009 Airshows all across America.

It was taken apart for restoration / Wings Demated in Nov 2007 and should be in flight testing this week. I started the sheet metal fab and strutural restorations in March of 2007 and finished my part in Sept 2008.

This plane was in remarkable condition for a 65 year old warbird... largely due to the corrosion proofing Curtiss did in their original fabrication. We only found 3 parts that were a flight risk due to corrosion fatigue and one from hidden battle damge.

Thanks for a show of support Yall!

Bazz

7. shanker

shanker Senior Member

Bazz, so is restoration your hobby or career?

I myself would love to jump into Automobile Restoration as a Career, but unfortunately I dont think it will pay the bills like Healthcare IT :(

8. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Man, that is a beauty!!! I would like to see it taking care of some foreign long liners.

9. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Shanker..

I'm an Aircraft A&P Mech that specializes in Sheet metal/ Stuctural repair, I work as a private contractor where ever the plane is located.

Vintage Auto restoration is fun but the folks with the big bucks are flakey sometimes. They don't understand they need to pay you On Time so you can pay your bills.. been there done that... the money can be real good under the right circumstances.

I do a lot of business jets and some Med-evac helicopter work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some twin props.. like this Cessna 414 ... storm damage repairs. we got a nose from another savaged 414 and spliced it on. Relacing the damage left nose section, nose bulkhead and right fwd side nose skin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bazz

10. Bret

Bret Senior Member

dang Charlie.. thats some pretty intensive labor.. I watched a guy put a kit plane together over the span of 2 yrs.. He never finished and sold it 1/4 completed.. I have lots of respect for you guys that work on planes..

11. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Bret

If you want to have some real fun try replacing the upper and lower main wing skins. both vert stab skins, complete radome, baggage doors, and the dorsal on a 550 Cessna Citation II

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Was that storm damage to the citation?? mucho labor..

13. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Bret..

Yes the Citation 550 and the Cessna 414 were in the same hangar that 100 Mph winds collapsed the doors in on them. The hangar doors became sails & blew 414 into the 550. We welded up our own shoring to stabilize the 550 tail and wings.

After the 550 was done we used the same shoring modified to fit the 414.

14. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I myself would love to jump into Automobile Restoration as a Career, but unfortunately I dont think it will pay the bills like Healthcare IT :(

Pat/Shanker- I had a Muscle car resto shop for 3 1/2 yrs. Charlie worked w/ me for about 8 months towards the end. It's incredibly hard to make a living.
    The majority of clients are not aware of what it takes (lots of time & money)
    to build a show winning car. the remainder of them only care about their S**T
    and expect preferential treatment due to their financial status.

Even if you have all the speed & tech knowledge on the planet, you still have to have copious amounts of $$cashflow$$ and patience w/ uneducated,
    selfish, rich people that own these cars as a status symbol more than anything else.
    I was so disgusted by these things that I no longer even watch hot-rod shows, let alone fix their Hi-$$ cars. just stand back and appreciate them from a distance, it's cheaper and easier on your brain.
    tight lines
    -Brian

15. shanker

shanker Senior Member

Brian, I still appreciate my Coronet R/T when I stab the throttle on some backroads...

took the 68 Charger to Prarie Hill Dragway last weekend and had a blast thrashing on that car, its a el cheapo project that we have a total of about 1500 in...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive done lots of sheet metal work on these old Mopars, Ive replaced floors from the firewall to the taillights, Ive skinned roof's, Ive even cut 2 cars in half and welded the 2 good halfs together...a Top & Tail if your faimilar w/ old school body shop terms...

-Patrick

16. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Bazz,
    First off, nice work.

Thank God I'm not into planes. I heard the word "Aviation" means multiply "Marine" times four.:eek:

Since you are the sheet metal expert, I'd like to pick your brain. I'm going to do quite a bit of traveling next year with rods. I like and own three of the SKB rod tubes. They are triangular in shape so they don't roll around. I need to cut them down to meet the new airline requirements. (80 linear inches including the diameter) I'm thinking of using sheet metal and rivets after cutting them down. The case of the SKB is a very sturdy injection mould. About 1/8".

Do you think I need to shape the sheet metal to fit the triangular shape or could I get by with three straight strips and leave the corners alone?

Would you put the sheet metal on the inside of case or outside?

Here's a little sketch of what I plan on doing.

Attached Files:

17. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Mr Bill

Personally I'd get some carbon fiber cloth off Ebay and some Dexter Hysol 9303.3NA epoxy structural adhesive from www.aviall.com .

Do a glass layup on the outside of the tube. It will be stronger and there will be nothing inside the tube to damage your expensive rods. Hysol is extremely easy to work with and stays where you put it very well.

Once you have 3 layers applied wrap the repair with saran wrap and tape around the edges until cured. You can sand the repair area and use some rattle can black spray paint to match the case.

Once you get the materials let me know and I'll walk you thru the whole process. I know you will be a lot happier with the results because it will be done right.