Cabo San Lucas in Late May

Discussion in 'South of the Border' started by DanS, Feb 19, 2009.

1. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Originally, my wife and I were planning two days of fishing on the East Cape of Baja. Due to the economic downturn, prices are beginning to soften in Cabo San Lucas and we were able to secure great lodging at a super price. Add to that lots of restaurant choices. Now on to identify a good fishing charter.

There are numerous charters based out of the Cabo San Lucus marina. Has anyone had particularly above-average experiences with a specific company? I'm already following up leads, but I'm open to additional recommendations.

2. rparham82

rparham82 Member

I fish Cabo about once a year and love it. Picante is a great outfit with some first class boats but you pay a premium(these guys are a dealer for Cabo so the boats are brand new). I've fished with these guys several times and have no complaints they are very professional. That being said I would fish with Minervas. You fish about the same size boats for half the price. Minervas fleet is older but for the price you cant beat them. My captain was very competent and had no issue with me bringing my own tackle. My girlfriend and I fish with Minervas in December and with 7 for 8 on stripers. Hope this helps. RP

3. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

When I was preparing for my first ever trip to Cabo San Lucas, I did my own charter boat research on the internet. Too many to choose from. I took in consideration the cost of the charter. I knew zero/zip about Cabo except for some fishing articles I've read in fishing mags. I had many pages of printouts of charter outfits in Cabo from the internet. I went through the different charter outfits one by one. I eventually decided on the Dream Maker charter, it's more like a roll of the dice. To my luck I wasn't disappointed. My first ever trip to Cabo and I ended up battling several striped marlins pushing 200lbs, decent sized YFTs and dodos. After that trip, I knew I was hooked to the allure of Baja California Mexico. The good thing about this charter outfit is that they also own a restaurant at the marina specializing in smoked fish. So they also offered smoking of your catch and vacuum packing. I've since moved from fishing Cabo to San Jose del Cabo. Fishing the Gordo Banks on a 24 foot panga is a lot of fun and the best bang for the buck. Plus some of the hotels offer all inclusive. All the food you can eat and drinks (yes including the bar). You can order box lunches to take with you when going fishing.

4. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Thanks! I'll look into these charters.

5. kenner21

kenner21 Member

renegademikesportfishing.com

mike's from San Dieago so of course he speaks english. He runs a 31 foot bert with good electronics. Mike will also let you fish he prefers not to hand off hooked fish so he'll let you do as much as your comofrtable with. He does broker other boats make sure you fish with him on his boat and you'll have a good trip. Tell him Nate said hello

6. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Check out Mexfish.com, wealth of info. and latest reports

7. DanS

DanS Senior Member

renegademikesportfishing.com

mike's from San Dieago so of course he speaks english. He runs a 31 foot bert with good electronics. Mike will also let you fish he prefers not to hand off hooked fish so he'll let you do as much as your comofrtable with. He does broker other boats make sure you fish with him on his boat and you'll have a good trip. Tell him Nate said hello

Thanks Kenner21

My wife and I are on Mike's boat for May 27th. I've also invited Mike along to show us how to use light tackle...Cabo style. :D

8. SRUPP

SRUPP Junior member

Let us know how you do and what you think for us considering the same...

cheers

Steven

9. DanS

DanS Senior Member

I hope I can accommodate the request...if the media 'buzz' calms during the next few weeks.

Frontier issued this Current Travel Advisory.

Alaska issued a Mexico Travel Advisory.

My advice is to obtain credible information from numerous sources, evaluate the data, then make the best informed decision possible. Avoid fear and panic.

While I may not agree with all that's presented, here is a counter view to the alarmist views being circulated.

Critical Alert: The Swine Flu Pandemic – Fact or Fiction?

You be the judge. And avoid comments by the deeply-confused Joe Biden, if at all possible. :D

10. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Well, we're back. The fishing was only fair/good (?), but we had a good time.

Cabo Report: According to the locals, the economy is BAD due to multiple factors: recession/depression up north, swine flu scare, and depressed RE. Construction is more-or-less at a stand still. No crowds. There's some unbelievable package deals about, or you can find many individual bargains.

While I book my charters back in January/February, there's no point in booking ahead...even a week. Most of the boats sit idle in the marina. On Thursday, I walked over to the beach on the Pacific side for some surf casting (roosters and jacks). I watched a good size jack chase a baitfish up onto the beach.

[​IMG]

As we walked back through the Cabo marina, the panga boats owners were all over us. The price kept going down and down...one fellow offered to accept $60USD for 4 hours on his panga. I'm sure the cruiser charters would also be willing to lower prices. The mate on my first boat mentioned that they had only 4 charters in the past 2 months, and the slip rental was supposedly $1,[email protected]! Ouch!

So, if you want to do Cabo or San Jose, buy a deeply-discounted airfare, shuttle from the airport is $15, I paid $50 for a clean/basic room at Hotel Mar de Cortez, (never more than 4 people at the pool, full-plate breakfast at Spencer's there inside the hotel was 35 pesos, $1 beer specials everwhere)

[​IMG]

and walk down to the Marina with pole in hand. The restaurants are also begging for business. We caught some nice Leopard Groupers while fishing some rock/reef areas and took them to the restaurant for preparation. They only charged us $6 a plate for all the sides, and the drinks were reasonably priced as well. We shared the fish fry with others sitting around us, and well as the wait staff.

Wednesday we stuck with mainly inshore stuff up in the Sea of Cortez. Wind was blowing out on the Pacific side. Got some good action on jigs, but also got bit off by the sierras. One fish stripped lots of line before he cut the line. It was the boat owner's gear and he discouraged metal leaders. He claimed the bite was better without 'em and he didn't mind sacrifice a few jigs for the better bite.

Much of the inshore action was young roosterfish (4-8lbs). We were hoping for some larger, but they supposedly hadn't moved down from the north yet. They were aggressive in taking live bait and lots of fun. I tried various lures, had fun casting from the bow point on a 31' Bertram,

[​IMG]

but I thinks my lures were too big for the smaller roosters. They would follow but not hit 'em. The lures did work on the grouper, snapper, and needfish. See Fish Indentifier by Jansen Lures which has his shop in the Hotel Mar de Cortez.

[​IMG]

My wife, Diane. Her first ever roosterfish. That's Mike of RenegadeMike Sportfishing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Friday, was open water fishing for marlin. Saw several, but couldn't tempt them to take the live bait. Caught my first ever about 1:00pm. The sun was blazing, the water a beautiful blue, and the boat was trolling hula skirts (squids). The lures were relatively close to the boat, maybe 30yds. I was using a lure at 80-100yds, sure that would be more acceptable to a leery fish. I got the privilege of watching the marlin approach the hula lure, slide up beside and then...BAM! It took him only seconds to strip off 150-200yds of line. It took me 20-25 minutes to get him to the boat. Took some pictures and then released him. The captain claimed he was 120-130lbs. Great experience!

The hunt...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rode back to the airport on the shuttle with some guys who got some tuna. They had purchased coolers locally, and had the fish flash frozen and vacuum packed.

PS. Flew Frontier and Alaska. Had no problems with my rod case, nor extra charges.

11. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

Nice report! Thanks.

12. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Pictures posted

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

DanS,

Nice pictures. Those young roosters have great color. Now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing those black round patches on the dorsals of bigger roosters. Nice details of the dorsals in your pictures. Maybe they are present and I never have enough time to notice.

I just might have to plan a quick trip to Cabo with those kind of deals going on right now. That hotel looks great for the price. My last two trips to Cabo the rooms were around $200 a night. I think your right about the boats. Make the deal at the marina. When things are tough, people will bargain for cash. You just have to be careful and talk details with the Capt. Five minutes of questions will tell you if he is good or not and what he is willing to do for you.
    Thanks for getting me fired up.

14. DanS

DanS Senior Member

15. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

I used to date her!!

16. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Thanks for the report... looks fun!

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Damn, that Hotel Mar de Cortez is cheap. Terrace room is only $60 a night. $2.50 for full breakfast. That's like the old days in Mexico before the Americans screwed up all the pricing. The pictures on the web site of the Hotel Mar de Cortez look pretty nice.

Am I missing something here. Were there roaches in the rooms? Dead rats in the Garden? Did the rooms have a shower and head? Did the AC work? Did you fish the Pacific or the Sea of Cortez?

18. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Great report DanS !!!

19. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Damn, that Hotel Mar de Cortez is cheap. Terrace room is only $60 a night. $2.50 for full breakfast. That's like the old days in Mexico before the Americans screwed up all the pricing. The pictures on the web site of the Hotel Mar de Cortez look pretty nice.

Am I missing something here. Were there roaches in the rooms? Dead rats in the Garden? Did the rooms have a shower and head? Did the AC work? Did you fish the Pacific or the Sea of Cortez?

No roaches, no bugs. I even dropped some Mexican change on the floor and had to fish it out from under the bed. Clean! AC worked fine, but was a bit noisy. My unit had a newly remodeled shower with nice Mexi tile. Plenty of hot water...my wife got her required 15 minutes under the waterfall. :D The two items of note were the 8-10" dense foam mattresses which seemed like stone the first night, but we came to appreciate their firmness. Also, the light fixtures are pure Mexican retro...i.e., bare florescent bulbs. Why the owners cut corners on light fixtures, I have absolutely no idea. Maybe "family values." :D But...we don't spend lots of time in our room when on vacation.

Because of the wind the five days we were there, we stayed in the Sea of Cortez. Of course, the wind stopped on Saturday...the day we were to fly home.

20. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

great job and nice pics!