360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to Cabo in a couple of weeks. Really want to catch a marlin on my OTI 60-80 popping rod. Have a good Captain that I fish well with and have caught some marlin with before. Could you guys suggest some gotta have baits that would work on stripe marlin? Also what would be some choices for roosters? Will post report when I get back

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
I would suggest hooking a live mackerel up and pitching it to a marlin. I really want to do this myself.
Most of the stripes that we have caught there have been on pitch live mackerel...

·
Site Sponsor
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the way I've caught them before. Would really like to fool one on a cast bait. Get'em up in a trolled spread and cast something to one. Works for fly fisherman why not for a popper/swim bait? Just wanted some suggestions from some one that had done this before

·
110 Posts
I agree with the pitching live caballitos. Get an idea of where the bait is (birds working) and chances are you'll see some marlin. Last year in October the striped Marlin were hammering balled up bait off Golden Gate and we pitched live bait and landed ALOT. I'll be there last week in October.

PS - Rooster peak was in July, but still some around inshore.

·
3,483 Posts
PM Glen he has caught them on poppers and I'm sure Baby Runboh/Saltiga Slider would work if the Striper was fired up to kill something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts