Cabo 80 or Saragosa 18000F?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by shooter75, Jan 31, 2009.

1. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Well Im still trying to decide which reel is a better quality reel overall. Primary uses would be for Yellows, Lings, Rockfish and YFT's. Need help.

Thanks
    Eric

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Ive seen several Saragossa's drags go and 2 where they had issues with the drag cap. The cabo 80 is a great reel for the money

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

who had problems and what fish were they on??? ive only heard of one busting on a huge fish i didnt know there were other issues

never used a cabo.....given youre asking about ling, rockfish and (i think) yellowtail.....i'll assume california?

4. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Yes your correct Southern California.

5. Depraved

Depraved Cabo is a POS

ive heard of piss poor customer service with quantum products

6. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

ive had both. i think i would go with the saragosa 18000 because my cabo 80 had some back play due to funky anti reverse magnets. that being said i would take (50) cabo 60's before i paid for one saragosa 8000. the paint will chip on the cabos and look kind of crappy but i wouldnt trade my cabo 60 for anything but a stella 6/8000.

7. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

ive heard of piss poor customer service with quantum products

My buddy has a Cabo 80. First trip the anti reverse went out. After 6 months of calling and writing they finally replaced it. THe next trip the bail arm just fell of in the middle of a big run.

All of the middle of the run reels are going to have more issues that the top dogs. I now have 2 saragosas and have not had a single problem with them.

The 18k has seen multiple tunas up to around 85#. The 14k has done nothing but jig and pulled in a good AJ around 60# on the first trip without flinching.
    I'd spend the extra could of bucks and get the saragosa.

8. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Wow!!! Well I guess I know what reel I'll be getting!!!! LOL! Thanks everyone for your input.

Eric

9. gman

gman Senior Member

Arlens brand spanking new Saragossa's drag went after the first day of jigging amberjacks. I personally checked it out myself. You could set the drag at 25 pounds and pull with a drag scale after 3 seconds the drag would slip and go to like 10 pounds

He is the third person I know that had drag issues on the saragosa. I fish my reels pretty hard and I never had a single issue with any of the Cabos when used them

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

really? wow hadnt heard about arlens. did shimano fix it?

it could not have been as bad as that fin nor that blew up lol

11. gman

gman Senior Member

really? wow hadnt heard about arlens. did shimano fix it?

it could not have been as bad as that fin nor that blew up lol

hahahahah nothing could ever be worse than the fin nor blowing up. The frigging thing blew up without a fish on ahhhahahah

They offered Arlen a deal on a new stella because he works at the tackle shop so they took care of him

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

oh thats good of them.
    the fin nor was shocking....i really wish we had video of that.

13. seahunter

seahunter Member

If I recall the saragosa is only an upgraded spheros.

The right hand side body cover only has a nylon bush the same as the spheros.
    Plus it uses the spheros body
    I had one and went into finding out as much as I could and for an extra $40 upgrading the spheros with an extra bearing and better drag washers it was better than the saragosa

14. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Glen,

You posted before , You did not put the Fin Nor overboard as not to put trash
    in the open water..or something like that. Which I respect.
    If you still have the corpse of the OS85. Please pm me when you get time.

Kev.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

15. gman

gman Senior Member

hahahah Kev you have a great memory

16. BIGSWORDY

BIGSWORDY Senior Member

I have been jigging with a cabo 50 for a few years and has yet to not have the balls to get the job done. Including some battes with jewfish, other groupers, big aj's, wahoo, sharks and not to mention the countless greenies. The drags are extrmely smooth and durable, and damn strong from my personal expeieces with them. Although, I am on my second one, the first one the anti-reverse went but I took it to a local shop and they replaced it te next day. I would definately buy another.

17. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Well from all I've been reading it seems the major fault seems to the anti-reverse mech. I wonder if its a manufacture's defect.

18. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i watched toneyc's cabo 80 have anti reverse bearing failure with the first time use. the replacement reel had something wrong with it also and then he just got his money back after that. other than that the reel is smooth, with a strong drag. quantum could have a serious reel in the jigging world if the little things were beefed up. the price is great also.

19. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

my cabo 80 's anti reverse would slip but it never failed cmpletely. it still rendered the reel useless. my cabo 60 has never had any problems after 2 seasons of hard use.

20. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

My Cabo 80 had the anti reverse start going out on the first trip while my wife was jigging for BFT, it was slipping quiet a bit but I had no choice but to keep fishing. I sent it to zebco, had it fixed and shipped back in a week.
    When I called them to see if they would repair it they asked no questions at all , they just said ship it back.
    I have a trip at the end of this month so I will see if it holds up.