Cabo 80 CArbontex Drag Washers

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by shooter75, Mar 18, 2009.

1. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Ok guys I have a question....Im looking to replace my current drag washers on my Cabo 80 with Carbontex one...the O.E. size is O.D. - 23mm, I.D. 5mm and thickness of 0.60mm. The closest replacement washers I can find have a O.D. of 23mm, an I.D. of 8mm and a thickness of 0.54mm. Will these work even though their is a 3mm difference in the I.D. and thickness dimensions?

Thanks
    Eric

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

try sending alan tani a pm. he might have what your looking for. he can definitely grind one to those specs. i tried adjusting some carbontex washers before and butchered them.

3. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Thats funny I just pm'ed Alan just now. Hopefully he'll be able to come up with something!

4. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Wow, you just opened my eyes. I just dis-assembled the spool on my -80
    & have made a disappointing discovery.
    the advertised "ceramic" drag is 1 washer on the top of the top stack, the
    remaining 5 are oiled felt. in addition, the washer on the rear of the spool,
    although twice as large, is greased paper.
    I'm also suspect of the cheesy plastic spacer between the spool bearings,
    which are only held in by the bottom drag plates.
    I have had NO problems with this reel, including 1 bout of 3- 60# yf's in 1hr
    a couple summers ago, but what I'm looking at could easily suffer catastrophic failure if either of the spring clips securing the drags failed during a long hard run against 15-20# drag.
    I do not have a corvette here, more like a miata with cool wheels.:mad:
    if I cannot remedy this, I'll have this one and a -70 for sale, cheap!
    please let me know what Alan thinks. Maybe it's time to sack up and get a Stella:D
    Glad I read this thread. Thanks
    -Brian

5. shooter75

shooter75 Member

I felt the same way when I opened up my 80 also. Its the wierdest thing they do look like oiled felt....unless its some sort of high tech ceramic felt!!! LOL! That's the whole whole reason I'm trying to get some Carbontex ones.

6. lite-liner

I think the only issue you will have is trying to match the stack height. I know
    more or less will dramatically affect drag ramp-up rate.
    the CT washers from smooothdrag.com are real close to the same thickness.
    you might give her a call, she can probably make some for your dimensions.
    pretty much my first call, now.

7. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Actually Smooth Drag was my first opion; however, they were only able to find ones that have a 3mm bigger I.D. dimension. On the other hand Alan has made a set for a member here for his Cabo 80 so Im just waiting on Alan to see what he came up with.

8. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Well Alan is the man!!!! I have 5 new CF washers on the way! By the way Alan is a great guy to deal with! Thanks again Alan!

Eric

9. lite-liner

What about the bottom side washer?
    was he able to match thickness w/ CT washers?

10. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Oh CRAP!!! I forgot about that one!!!!! Ill have to measure it and see if he can. Did you happen to measure it by any chance?

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

smoothdrag will have what you need

12. shooter75

shooter75 Member

You know I was looking at the parts diagram of the Cabo 80 and they call the bottom washer a "Spool Washer" is that really part of the drag system?

13. lite-liner

yes, it is. You'll have to make the metric conversion, but .....

O.D.- 1.325"
    I.D.-0.520"
    Thickness-0.038"

I'm also having a steel bearing spacer made to replace that plastic one

-Brian

14. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Hey Anthony,

You know I have both the Saragosa and the Cabo 80 and I would have to say they are equally as smooth. I would take apart the Cabo a really lube it up good. For the bearings I recommend Tri-Flow oil, this makes the bearings super smooth and is considered the best oil for bearings.

Eric

15. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Not at all, but I would download the parts diagram so you can get an idea of how the reel is assembled. But I would definetly go through it especially if its used.

16. lite-liner

I took apart my -80, and I discovered a few things, some good, some bad.
    I guess the +side is now I know the weak points. this reel has about 40
    hrs actual use, with 5 YFT's & numerous BFT's
    I was unable to resize pics correctly, so here's some links......

1.) Drags. 70 & 80 are identical. the intricate-looking spring thing on the bottom of the spool is nothing but a clicker asm. bottom washer is paper, greased. top washers, I have no idea what the top washers are made of.
    it appears to be laminated, interwoven fibers, like CF, but they're white,
    & red on the -70 where they used red grease. they're also ridgid like CF:confused:
    cabo2.jpg picture by BrianNesbit - Photobucket
    I already mentioned the cheap plastic(not Delrin) spool bearing spacer
    this needs to be Delrin & if you are thinking about having a delrin spacer made, like me, .373 height is a critical dimension for proper bearing preload and drag operation.

2. ) Anti-reverse asm. I have discovered the weak link. the photo's will show the (shattered) extruded plastic cage the A/R rollers sit in. THIS PIECE NEEDS TO BE MADE OF STEEL! I surmise the shock loads from jigging 400g.
    lures & hooksets causes this.
    cabo4.jpg picture by BrianNesbit - Photobucket
    cabo3.jpg picture by BrianNesbit - Photobucket
    *NOTE*- even with this evident failure, due to the sufficient shouldering
    of the asm,I had experienced NO SYMPTOMS OR FAILURES.

3.) Gears, etc. Pinion gear, A/R shaft & mainshaft are stainless.:)
    cabo5.jpg picture by BrianNesbit - Photobucket
    Main gear is solid brass staked onto a stainless shaft/gear that drives the transfer gear.
    cabo7.jpg picture by BrianNesbit - Photobucket

transfer gear & pinion block are zinc.:(

4.) bearings- sealed. stamped "thailand" but well-lubed. I guess we'll see.....

The reel was assembled well, w/ plenty of lube. I noticed very minimal corrosion or water intrusion from use. I did spot a possible point of failure
    in the bail-arm.. the screw was loose. ck this before 1st use.:D
    it needs a few improvements that are easily done, and the reel is relatively simple to tear down & re-assemble. I'll be performing these improvements and talking to Quantum tomorrow about the A/R issue.
    stay tuned
    -Brian

17. lite-liner

stinkin pics are too big! I'll re-size & load them up tomorrow
    -B

18. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Good deal Brian,

I have an 80 too. I would be interested to see what Quantum says about the plastic cage the A/R rollers are in. The anti reverse failed on the first Cabo 80 I bought. Not only did it fail, it was the first time I used the reel. I traded it for a new one and have not had an issue with it.

However,

I have only used it on one trip. I am using it again at the end of May on a 36hr out of Fourchon. I hope it holds up.

19. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Can't wait to see the pics!

20. lite-liner

pic links are up. Just got off the horn w/ Lee @ quantum. She was very helpful and is sending me 2 new A/R clutch asm's. I spoke breifly w/ her about a possible upgrade in material solving the problem, she said although the reel has been revised for '09, beefing up the clutch was not included in the revisions. I emailed her the pics of the shattered clutch & she is forewarding them to the project manager, so I guess we'll see.
    Couldn't get an answer on the drag washer material.