360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With that being said, off came the drapes on the 'ol rod winder. My cousin brought over an 8' butt joint popping blank, told me he wanted to make it 7'5"-7'6" for bluefin. I also remember a while back a few guys on this board asking about how to make the OR200 shorter without sacrificing tip action. I thought about it for quite sometime and came to a solution. I looked at the Fisherman Spinoza short series of rod for the answer. I decided to cut the blank from the bottom of the butt section, moving all the hardware up and made it 7'5". Now the fore grip sits on the top section and the the reel seat starts the butt section. The rod now has the same tip action as it was originally intended, with the workability of a shorter, more desired rod.

The beauty of this plan is when the reel is installed and tightened down, the pressure of the reel seat clamps down on the top portion, making sure it will never move. The butt section is also now more re enforced with the reel seat and winding check making it stronger.

He wanted it "simple" with some bling, so I hope I've done that for him.

·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah, I forgot. He wanted me to make it similar to the 7seas Ultimate Z GT76 that was broken earlier this year on a bluefin. Thanks guys and yeah Taz, red is the color for me:)

·
3,719 Posts
What a smokin' idea,putting the foregrip on the top section. That's what "custom" rod building is all about.If it doesn't create any unforseen problems,pressure points,whatever, I think this idea will be copied alot.It opens a bunch of different possibilities. Beautiful work and a great idea.
By the way,that is not "simple":)

·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks fellas. I can't wait for the water to thaw so I can try it out. It's really solid.

Mikey, Topper's way ahead of me, I've already quit:)

·
1,211 Posts
Beautiful Work as usual Brother Andy :)

So let's decide once and forever who is the better rod builder..... :cool:

Topper and Andy....each of you build me the nicest looking Jigging rod you can imagine with one of Gman's hot new blanks and I will judge them and keep the winning rod...sound good? :D

·
** Pak Lurah **
1,077 Posts
Andy,
You beat me on that, I was planning to do exactly like that on OTI Tuna Sniper 40/60 cut down to 7'8" from handle :)

As always, great job Bro............

1 - 16 of 16 Posts