360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm not a huge fan of Craigslist, but I am a huge fan of a deal. Today a guy listed some Penn 130ST's, International V 130lb rods, tons of smaller rods/reels, and all his tuna/striper/jigging tackle on Craigslist. I went down there to check out the jigs/poppers and ended up spending $300 on tackle, some of which I don't think I'll ever use, but it seemed too good a deal to pass up.

is there anything to be concerned about buying used tackle? I know the standard check hooks, line, etc, but anything else? I think what I paid was very reasonable, and aside from poppers, I have more stuff than I could ever imagine.

·
21 Posts
Thieves sometimes get rid of stolen loot on Craigslist. If you don't mind possibly buying stolen goods, go for it.

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thieves sometimes get rid of stolen loot on Craigslist. If you don't mind possibly buying stolen goods, go for it.

True, this guy knew his stuff though so I think I'm good with that.

·
2,622 Posts
same concern as KenY; as long as you're sure it's not stolen then buy what you're comfortable with. One rule of thumb I use when buying something used is to look at how he lives and what the stuff he's not selling looks like. If what he's selling is in better shape than the rest of his stuff it means he just cleaned it up to sell. I don't buy stuff from people I wouldn't go fishing with.

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely not stolen. Everything he had was in nice condition, so I think i did well. I updated the original post with pictures. All the abyss jigs are brand new, spreader bars are new(one bag is old), squids are new. I think I did alright.

·
225 Posts
Looks like a good deal....

The only other thing I can think of is knowing what pound test
the leaders or stingers were strung with... If the leader is in good shape
I may not re-do them. (Purist all scream now) But I would like to know if
it was 50, 80 or higher pound test leader material.

But grabbing one of your leaders and comparing the thickness would be good enough for me.

Mike

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like a good deal....

The only other thing I can think of is knowing what pound test
the leaders or stingers were strung with... If the leader is in good shape
I may not re-do them. (Purist all scream now) But I would like to know if
it was 50, 80 or higher pound test leader material.

But grabbing one of your leaders and comparing the thickness would be good enough for me.

Mike

The smaller williamson spreader bars are brand new and strung with 300lb test

The two larger spreaders are thicker than the smaller williamson bars, so I'm assuming 500lb test or so on those, and that line is in great condition.

The little tunny is strung with 500lb line and brand new.

The two mullets are strung with 200lb line. One is brand new, other is used and needs to be replaced.

The mackerel is strung with 130lb line and brand new.

·
40 Posts
The smaller williamson spreader bars are brand new and strung with 300lb test

The two larger spreaders are thicker than the smaller williamson bars, so I'm assuming 500lb test or so on those, and that line is in great condition.

The little tunny is strung with 500lb line and brand new.

The two mullets are strung with 200lb line. One is brand new, other is used and needs to be replaced.

The mackerel is strung with 130lb line and brand new.

A couple of red flags about craigslist

If the ad says " I have a pole to sell "
"It comes with a fish winder and has some line but not sure what it is."
"It has metal guides." "Its pretty"

"I live in Nigeria and will send you 1,000 if you will buy my pole....my agent will be in touch." ;)

Hopefully the people that are legit know what the heck they are selling and can tell you anything you want to know about what they are selling.

I have gotten some nice deals on Craigslist and have sold some items on craigslist and I have seen some really shifty people that are trying to turn hot items.

The old saying holds true

Buyer beware

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A couple of red flags about craigslist

If the add says " I have a pole to sell "
"It comes with a fish winder and has some line but not sure what it is."
"It has metal guides." "Its pretty"

"I live in Nigeria and will send you 1,000 if you will buy my pole....my agent will be in touch." ;)

Hopefully the people that are legit know what the heck they are selling and can tell you anything you want to know about what they are selling.

I have gotten some nice deals on Craigslist and have sold some items on craigslist and I have seen some really shifty people that are trying to turn hot items.

The old saying holds true

Buyer beware

I'll add to that.... "please come touch my pole"

it looks like you won this round.

Hopefully. Since I won't use much of the trolling gear, I'm going to trade it to some friends I know for some of their casting stuff and jigs. I don't think you can ever have too many vertical jigs.

·
40 Posts
I'll add to that.... "please come touch my pole"

Hopefully. Since I won't use much of the trolling gear, I'm going to trade it to some friends I know for some of their casting stuff and jigs. I don't think you can ever have too many vertical jigs.

I hope you know I was just funning ya. Goods deals are in the eye of the beholder and if you think you got a sweet deal then we have a winner.

·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope you know I was just funning ya. Goods deals are in the eye of the beholder and if you think you got a sweet deal then we have a winner.

It's all good. It's all too often on Craigslist I drive to a house only to find a bad deal, something not as described, or something completely different than what I was expecting. I've done quite a few CL transactions for numerous things, and I've learned one thing, cash is king. Lots of times people may not seem negotiable, but when you break the green stuff in front of them they are willing to work with you.

·
40 Posts
It's all good. It's all too often on Craigslist I drive to a house only to find a bad deal, something not as described, or something completely different than what I was expecting. I've done quite a few CL transactions for numerous things, and I've learned one thing, cash is king. Lots of times people may not seem negotiable, but when you break the green stuff in front of them they are willing to work with you.

One last thing....if I am selling something I always met a buyer away from my home at a public place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts