360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What butt length do most prefer for a conventional rod for jigging and chunking? I have acouple of rods with 12" butts and when using a harness they seem too short, it feels like the reel is too low and the rod butt tries to pivot up and out of the plate.

G

·
pure standup rods meant to be used in a harness should have very short butts, 10" or so.

most japanese jigging rods have butts that are too long for my preference. i see the need for longer rod butts when jigging, but some are too long for my liking, as you end up losing leverage when fighting the fish.

·
659 Posts
What kind of harness are you using? I can see that being an issue with a shoulder type harness, but not with a spyder or bucket if set up properly...

·
675 Posts
Butt length depends on your stature and jigging style. Most people that are average build or large like a rear grip in the 14-16" range (not including the gimbal).

·
2,835 Posts
What butt length do most prefer

My head must be in the gutter. When I saw this thread titled "Butt Length", I opened it up thinking I would see a picture of the perfect butt.:) Let me just say that I am more concerned with butt width.:D

Since the question was already answered about the rod butt, I'll just put a picture of what I was expecting.
Therefore, if you want to know "what is the perfect butt width", just look below.:)

Attachments

·
358 Posts
For conventional jigging rods I would agree with the 14-16 rear grip depending on how they suit your build.

As for butt width.....well I'm going to agree with Mr. Bill's previous post :D

·
1,025 Posts
I like Mr. Bill's preferred butt width.

This is too wide for me and I hope everyone else on this site. Chazz looks like he's in harms way!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Attachments

·
1,025 Posts
Oh that's WAY too wide for me there Scott.

Kidflex might like it though.

LMAO!!!!!

·
358 Posts
Holy crap, the shockwave alone would kill everyone in the room if she farted.

I like Mr. Bill's preferred butt width.

This is too wide for me and I hope everyone else on this site. Chazz looks like he's in harms way!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.