Butt length

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Brokejeep, May 5, 2009.

1. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

What butt length do most prefer for a conventional rod for jigging and chunking? I have acouple of rods with 12" butts and when using a harness they seem too short, it feels like the reel is too low and the rod butt tries to pivot up and out of the plate.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

pure standup rods meant to be used in a harness should have very short butts, 10" or so.

most japanese jigging rods have butts that are too long for my preference. i see the need for longer rod butts when jigging, but some are too long for my liking, as you end up losing leverage when fighting the fish.

3. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

I actually like 16 inch rear grip including the buttcap. Plenty long for me

4. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

What kind of harness are you using? I can see that being an issue with a shoulder type harness, but not with a spyder or bucket if set up properly...

5. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Butt length depends on your stature and jigging style. Most people that are average build or large like a rear grip in the 14-16" range (not including the gimbal).

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

What butt length do most prefer

My head must be in the gutter. When I saw this thread titled "Butt Length", I opened it up thinking I would see a picture of the perfect butt.:) Let me just say that I am more concerned with butt width.:D

Since the question was already answered about the rod butt, I'll just put a picture of what I was expecting.
    Therefore, if you want to know "what is the perfect butt width", just look below.:)

Attached Files:

• ass.jpg
      ass.jpg
      File size:
      38.6 KB
      Views:
  7. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiceeeee....

8. feeder

feeder Senior Member

For conventional jigging rods I would agree with the 14-16 rear grip depending on how they suit your build.

As for butt width.....well I'm going to agree with Mr. Bill's previous post :D

9. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I like Mr. Bill's preferred butt width.

This is too wide for me and I hope everyone else on this site. Chazz looks like he's in harms way!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Attached Files:

10. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Oh that's WAY too wide for me there Scott.

Kidflex might like it though.

11. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Oh that's WAY too wide for me there Scott.

Kidflex might like it though.

LMAO!!!!!

12. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Once again Mr Bill proves to be a man of refined tastes!!!!! Bellyups I worry about you!

13. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Holy crap, the shockwave alone would kill everyone in the room if she farted.

I like Mr. Bill's preferred butt width.

This is too wide for me and I hope everyone else on this site. Chazz looks like he's in harms way!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: