Butt length jigging/popping combo

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Mitchw123456, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

I'm having another 700H built but can't decide on the butt length. I prefer the longer butt rods for casting and jigging. What length butt do yall typically prefer? I'm thinking about going around 18" does this sound too long?

2. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Size matters,

Or at least torso length and arm length.

If arm at side is zero deg and straight out from sholder is 90 deg

I like the arm angle holding foregrip to be 55 to 65 deg. both conv and spin
    rods. Deduct reel seat, consider butt placement in rod plate and check length.

This can be done with another rod with reel removed or broom stick.

Check what is comfortable then mesure,

In relaxed\resting posistion (fish pulling drag) is when I want things to fit

best. If your are 5'4", 5'10" or 6'2" the butt length measurent will be different.

But not by much.

3. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

All I gotta say is that I have a Hopper HOP600 and i would like to see a longer but, as well as a wider and softer end, found myself not using my belt as much as my hip, and man do I have the bruise to prove it!

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

All I gotta say is that I have a Hopper HOP600 and i would like to see a longer but, as well as a wider and softer end, found myself not using my belt as much as my hip, and man do I have the bruise to prove it!

Those hoppers have a rubber butt but you could try it in a rod huki. I'm not sure how well that rubber gimbal will fit into the rod huki though, but if you find you need to replace the gimbal, you can cut that rubber gimbal off and install an aluminum gimbal in it's place. The rod huki will give you a wide area of pressure distribution without the hassle of a gimbal plate.

Here ya go:

(aluminum gimbals)
    Aluminum

(rod huki)
    Rod Huki :: Rod Huki - Superb Products

5. Sportfisherman

Sportfisherman Senior Member

The distance from the gimbal / rubber butt to the center of the reel seat should be the width of one's shoulder , this is what most Japanese popping rods' measurements are based upon . As for the jigging rods , they seem to be pretty much the same .

Jon .

6. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

The distance from the gimbal / rubber butt to the center of the reel seat should be the width of one's shoulder , this is what most Japanese popping rods' measurements are based upon . As for the jigging rods , they seem to be pretty much the same .

Jon .

That is good info for a standard of measurement.