Busting Bluefin tuna out of Cape Cod June 2013

Discussion in 'Saltywater Tackle' started by Saltywater tackle, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Saltywater tackle

Saltywater tackle Site Sponsor

Every year for the past 6 years during the last week of May we head to the Cape knowing that the time have come to play run and gun.
    This year I was watching the report from a distance, family matters kept me out of the country for the last 5 weeks and on my way back, the plane crossed the Cape with clear skies, it was on the 4th of June and next to me there was 2 couple appreciating the scenery from above,
    I turned to them and I gave them the history of the Cape but deep inside i was sure that somebody is fishing today and I was hoping to hear some report, Raymond greeted me at the airport and the first things I ask him was, “how is the Cape”?
    He smiled and said that Captain Dom and Jason scored today, the news fired me up and as soon as I made it to the shop I started making phone call to arrange the bookings and the reservations,
    In the meantime Luke from GT Popping contacted me and he wanted to come to the Cape, I was more than happy to get him over so we booked couple of days with Captain Josh & Captain Eric,
    Looking at the report for the past couple of days kept us all fired up and ready to tangle with Charlie,
    I took the drive that night with Luke and we headed to Jason Ward (Siren Lures) in Marshfield, the long drive took almost 6 hours and by the time we made it to the motel it was 1:00AM,
    We slept for 2 hours and headed to Orleans to meet Captain Josh, I had high hopes and from the way I’ve seen the report I was pretty much sure that it is going to be a good day.
    Ilya and his friend Stuart joined us at the dock, on the way out we started seeing baits and a lot of birds, the baits are plentiful and the condition is right,
    After 20 minutes we saw Tuna breaking but they disappeared right away, we waited but they never showed up again till we received a call from Captain Dom with some busting fish in his area, we made the 10 minutes run to be greeted by a school of busting fish,
    Captain Josh hit the throttle to be the first and with all the excitement we made a cast but there was no taker,
    We casted again but this time in the middle of the feed and game on, I got a hit on my CB One rod and lure followed by another taker for Luke on the Siren Bad Mon 250.
    Captain Dom is on as well, it was such a great feed that kept the water foamy after the hook up,
    Both Luke and I were fighting away from each other until the fishes decided to cross each other, unfortunately Luke’s line broke when my line crossed his, we tried to save the situation but we failed,
    My fish was dumping line while I am locking the drag waiting for it to stop, when it settled down I start pumping and I had it to boat side in less than 8 minutes when Captain Josh had the gaff in the plate,
    Very happy to end it fast and to land my first fish of season solo, the joy was taking place on the boat, the fish measured 72 1\2 and estimated around the 200lb mark.
    In the meantime Captain Dom is still struggling with his fish and he asked for a fresh guy from our group to finish the fight, Luke jumped on board to help to finish the fight with some amazing footage of Captain Dom on the iron J
    The ocean went into a phase of peace till we saw another feed and off to that direction, Luke does it again but this time he switched to the Carpenter Gamma 160H, Nice hook up for Luke that lasted for about 1 minutes before another fish ran over his line and cut it clean, Luke was really out of luck!
    As time goes by and opportunities kept on increasing , Captain Josh rush to another feed and Luke gets a bump but no takers, Ilya in the meantime was casting from the stern and boom, he is on!
    Yes on the Moutoukenmaru lure matched with his Souls rod, after 20 minutes we saw the colors and right when the leader was sliding through the guides, the rod snap but we managed to land the fish after 2 cranks, we later determined that the drag was set way too high.
    We took a couple of pictures and released an estimated 71 inch fish.
    Captain Josh was so frustrated and wanted to put Luke into landing a fish, he worked really hard until we had to asked him to head back, only Captains from the Cape shows how dedicated they are in this game!
    It was such a great experience and with great company and some crazy feeding frenzy that took us back to the good old days of the Cape, I wish that it will only get better down the road and I hope to see many anglers having the opportunity to see and encounter what we experienced and saw today.
    We will be heading up soon again for sure!

Tackle used:
    Rod: Race Point 200,250,300, CB One prototype rod, Souls
    Reel: Shimano Stella SW18000 & STL18000SWBHG
    Lures: Siren Lure (Bad Mon 250), CB One Rodeo, Moutoukenmaru, Carpenter
    Line: Power Pro Hollow, Jerry Brown, Sunline Monster Cast away PE8,
    Leader: Saltywater Tackle tuna system leader

Tight lines
    Sami

[​IMG]
    CB One prototype rod in action
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Luke end up on Captains Dom's boat helping to land the 75 inch +
    [​IMG]
    Putting the heat on the Race Point 300
    [​IMG]
    moment before the iron hits the flesh
    [​IMG]
    Captain Dom doing what he likes to do the most
    [​IMG]
    Side to side with Luke
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    CB One Prototype popping rod matched with a CB One Rodeo stickbait sealed the day for me!
    [​IMG]
    http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss52/saltywatertackle/Cape%20Cod%20June%202013%20Luke/IMG_0465.jpg
    With Captain Josh!
    http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss52/saltywatertackle/Cape%20Cod%20June%202013%20Luke/IMG_0468.jpg
    Feeding Tuna :)
    http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss52/saltywatertackle/Cape%20Cod%20June%202013%20Luke/IMG_0469.jpg
    http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss52/saltywatertackle/Cape%20Cod%20June%202013%20Luke/IMG_0470.jpg
    http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss52/saltywatertackle/Cape%20Cod%20June%202013%20Luke/IMG_0472.jpg
    http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss52/saltywatertackle/Cape%20Cod%20June%202013%20Luke/IMG_0482.jpg
    http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss52/saltywatertackle/Cape%20Cod%20June%202013%20Luke/IMG_0492.jpg
    http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss52/saltywatertackle/Cape%20Cod%20June%202013%20Luke/IMG_0734.jpg
    Ilya did not waist his time after the breakage, he made sure to stop at the shop before heading back to his house :)

2. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

3. Milton

Milton Senior Member

Easy on the drag Ilya.

4. surfmonster

surfmonster Senior Member

Easy on the drag doesn't get fish home :p

I have been very busy at work and restoring the damage to my home caused by Sandy. Taking care of my tackle was waaay down on my priority list. All my fishing gear was submerged under flood waters for 3 days and I had no chance to send Stellas back to Shimano for service. After we landed my fish, unhooked it and sent it back to fight another day, I checked the reel and tried to figure out what happened. The drag was close to being locked, but I couldnt even budge the line. I think my water logged reel was putting out way more than 50 lbs of drad. Oh well... The second Stella I had attached to RP250 stopped oscillating 1 hour into the trip. Back to Shimano they go for service and restoration this week!!!

I replaced the broken rod with RP300. Let's see if I can break that!!))))

5. sami G

sami G Site Sponsor

Easy on the drag doesn't get fish home :p

I have been very busy at work and restoring the damage to my home caused by Sandy. Taking care of my tackle was waaay down on my priority list. All my fishing gear was submerged under flood waters for 3 days and I had no chance to send Stellas back to Shimano for service. After we landed my fish, unhooked it and sent it back to fight another day, I checked the reel and tried to figure out what happened. The drag was close to being locked, but I couldnt even budge the line. I think my water logged reel was putting out way more than 50 lbs of drad. Oh well... The second Stella I had attached to RP250 stopped oscillating 1 hour into the trip. Back to Shimano they go for service and restoration this week!!!

I replaced the broken rod with RP300. Let's see if I can break that!!))))

Ilya,

It was great to have you on board and fish with you just like the old good days,
    i will be anxiously waiting for you to hook a fish on the Race Point 300 and see if it will survive in your hand :)

6. outermostangling

outermostangling Site Sponsor

Well boys that was a great day to say the least. Awesome company, great laughs, smoking feeds, and bustin bluefin Cape Cod at its finest. Today was on fire as well, Luke lost one early to a pulled hook. Got back on them and had the ultimate feed of 300 to 500 lb fish. We doubled on this bunch and both spools were dumped. After a chase we settled in Gal on the bigger one and Luke on the smaller, Luke's fish ended up being 76" and Gal's was easily 500 lbs, both on RP 250 rods, my Stella is spent. The bigger fish won his freedom to a pulled hook, we got the slider back unharmed. Later in the day the fish came back around and we had many shots but they were on the picky side. At the end of the day we sent two fish to the white truck, one 76", the other 75", and full weight was around 280 lbs or so. I also want to add that the Saltywater Tackle RP 300 is a beast tamer. That rod has the ultimate lifting power for these big fish. I was able to sub do a 75" lifting him right up boat side...

I will post some pics up soon.

Capt. Josh

OUTERMOST ANGLING
    www.facebook.com/outermostangling

7. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

8. CAPT.JEFFB

CAPT.JEFFB Junior member

congrats guys on those awesome fish,looking forward to 6/27 Josh. we are really pumped up after those pics.

9. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

Great photos Sami! Gets the blood boiling for sure!

10. LuckyJohn

LuckyJohn Senior Member

Any spots open in next few days?

11. Saltywater tackle

Saltywater tackle Site Sponsor

12. rtran

rtran Senior Member

good stuff sami, thanks for sharing

rich

13. Inspiro

Inspiro Senior Member

Dear Sami
    Does this prototype CB One rod compare to the CB one VF8215ER?
    they mentioned that in development they have a 77 & a 610 expedition, and the rod you are using here looks short enough to be one of these