Bunny Clark got a 365 lbs bluefin on a jig today.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jul 17, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

A 365 lbs bluefin was landed on a jig on the Bunny Clark out of Oguanquit, Maine today. The Bunny Clark is a party boat specializing bottom fishing like cod, pollack, hake or haddock. I didn't get any detail yet, but I assume some one got the tuna on his cod jig.

[​IMG]

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

4. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Holy cow!!! I bet that was a tussle!!

5. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Hell yeah, now that's a tuna !!!

6. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

Yikes that fish would hurt like hell.............:)

7. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

That thing is a beast!

8. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

50lb test on a cod rod.... i will get more details... tim called my dad and told him about it.... more details to come

9. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

WOW!! That fight would have been a lifetime experience! I'm jealous we gulf coast folks here don't get the kind of monsters the east coast fellas do... :(

10. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

Wow what a monster. My money says Kil is driving up there right now to get his :D :D

11. NMSBob@tds.net

[email protected] Junior member

Fish caught on a 8 foot Merv blank from surfland
    Baha special reel with 65 izoreline and 50 lb jinkai leader with a 16 oz plain lav jig and chartruese tube.
    Fish to the boat in 26 minutes, then screwed to the bottom and died.
    Total fight time was 31 minutes.
    I still haven't been told the anglers name, I'm sure Tim will have it inhis report at bunnyclark.com

Bob

12. gman

gman Senior Member

Fish caught on a 8 foot Merv blank from surfland
    Baha special reel with 65 izoreline and 50 lb jinkai leader with a 16 oz plain lav jig and chartruese tube.
    Fish to the boat in 26 minutes, then screwed to the bottom and died.
    Total fight time was 31 minutes.
    I still haven't been told the anglers name, I'm sure Tim will have it inhis report at bunnyclark.com

Bob

How is the world did they get that fish up from the bottom dead. Good lord that is a horse. All the powers aligned on this day. Congrats on a great catch

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Bob,

The angler would never have landed the fish if the fish was in normal condition.
    I always believe there are some weak points in the mouth and tuna don't fight if hooks are in the weak point.
    Yong landed 1 150 - 160 lbs tuna on a popper within 5 minutes a couple of weeks ago and the fish never made death circles.

Anyway, it is unbelievable to catch that size of fish on cod jigging setup and it took only 31 minutes.

I think the fish was not totally dead when the angler crank the fish from the bottom. We had about 300 lbs halibut in Kodiak Island, AK and we couldn't pull in when the halibut was dead while fighting.

14. NMSBob@tds.net

You could well be right Kil, I wasn't on the boat that day and neither was Tim who I got the report from. The BC does have an one hour rule which is followed pretty closely, they figure if you don't land whatever in an hour , you aren't going to land it. For a groundfishing boat using codgear its a good rule. Remarkable catch regardless.

Bob

15. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Member

Dead or not, that is a horse!!

Kil, you mention it would not fight if hooked in a weak point. Do you mean gill or gullet hook placement coupled with blood loss? That is a mind boggling catch with a cod set up.

16. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

I talked to Tim this morning and the Angler stands to make $9000 or more as the Tuna was top grade!

17. NMSBob@tds.net

I talked to Tim this morning and the Angler stands to make $9000 or more as the Tuna was top grade!
    Thats great!

18. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

That angler cant sell his catch. TIM stands to make some money if he wishes, and I seriously doubt that a fish that dressed out somewhere around 270 or so would go for 33 plus dollars a pound, considering the current market for these early season fish is about 6- bucks a pound currently, for 100 inch plus fish.....

HOWEVER, that was an AMAZING catch for the angler and crew, dont know of any fish near that size ever landed on cod gear.

19. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

I know very little about the sale of Tuna. Never sold one in fact. Just telling you what he told me. I have known Tim for 25 years. I doubt he would be dishonest with me...

20. Custom Canvas

Custom Canvas Member

what a STUD!!! and an even better story that the angler will not soon forget!!

ROCK ON!!!