360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a two week vacation to Thailand with my wife and I had heard that there was some good freshwater fishing in Bungsamlan Lake in Bangkok so I decided to take one day out of the trip to go by myself and do some fishing.

I met up with Wuttichai 'Boy' Khuensuwan of fishsiam.com at the Lake. It was a decent sized stocked lake. As soon as I got there I could see activity on the water and knew I was in for a day of non-stop action. What I hadnt counted on was the fight the Giant Mekong Catfish, would put up. Sometimes it felt like I was fishing for Tuna in the cape. I would love to go back there one day and try catching these fish with Japanese tuna tackle because I think the fight would be similar; although the tackle that was provided by Boy did the job. I think I caught about 10 of these guys; I could have probably caught more but I took alot of breaks due to the effort required to pull some of these fish in.

I would also love to go back one day and fish some of the other freshwater fishing in Thailand because there is alot of variety and many different techniques to catching these fish.

So if you are ever in the vicinity of Thailand and want to get your ass kicked by some giant fish all day, check out Bungsamlan Lake in Bangkok. :)

Here are some pics:

·
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome fishing! What techniques were used? Lure or bait?

We were using a mixture of (I think) rice husk mixed with some type of juices. You clump it together in a ball just above the hook and then cast it out into the middle of the lake. In 2-3 minutes the ball would dissolve so if you didnt get a bite in that time you just bring it back and put more. According to Boy this was the best technique for catching these fish, although he said there are other lakes around Bangkok where the other species of fish that are very responsive to lures. Even though I would have liked to have fished with lures I wanted to catch some of these big ones this time around.

Thanks Sami!

·
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's pretty cool. Are there any trophy snakeheads in there as well?

No not in that lake. There are some monster Arapaima's in there but I later learned you have to get to the lake very early in the morning to get a chance to catch one.

They do have them in "Fishing World Lake" in the Minburi district on the outskirts of Bangkok. If you want a good round up of the fish you can catch in Thailand check out: Fish Species List in Thailand | FishSiam.com

·
1,323 Posts
Thank you for sharing. BSR is an awesome place and those makong cats can definitely put up a great fight, especially the ones they consider "Willy". IT Monster lake is a great place for lure fishing, definitely a place to visit if you're in the area. Congrats again on an awesome trip.

Hans, there are different "recipes" for making these bait balls and most are kept as well as te skeleton in your closet, lol. Bread, banana, even red bull goes into their secretive mixtures.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Thank you for sharing. BSR is an awesome place and those makong cats can definitely put up a great fight, especially the ones they consider "Willy". IT Monster lake is a great place for lure fishing, definitely a place to visit if you're in the area. Congrats again on an awesome trip.

Hans, there are different "recipes" for making these bait balls and most are kept as well as te skeleton in your closet, lol. Bread, banana, even red bull goes into their secretive mixtures.

dont tell him the secret mr. Andy, red bull is the secret, Han we put johnny walker and singha beer into the mix too but those are for the anglers!!! :D :D

·
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great job on the Cat! Is that your Personal best?

Not my biggest fish ever but definately my biggest freshwater fish ever. :)

·
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do these fish get 'smart' from being repeatedly caught?

Boy said the fish do become experienced but they still get hooked because the people who own the lake feed them just enough that they will still be hungry and be attracted to the bait balls. They definately werent smart enough to make the fight shorter and swim to me instead of fighting for 10 minutes. :p

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Do these fish get 'smart' from being repeatedly caught?

So Mark...do you care to join Andy and I sometime in the future for some of these monsters? :p :p We got secret place and secret recipe for the bait ball...:D :D

·
345 Posts
Hi guys,
just wanted to post on this fairly old thread. I try to go to Thailand once a year for the fishing. It's pretty cheap and nowhere in Europe (where I am) is as easy to repeatedly catch such large fish. I don't use a guide to save money now that i've been many times. ~$50 a day for a week or 2 is ideal.

For you guys who have caught these and caught Tuna how comparable are they? I always imagine these mekong catfish must be like a tiny Bull shark in their fighting nature. They arent fast but they just go and go and go.
The tuna seem both fast and big on stamina. I figure a 150lb mekong catfish must only be as tough to catch as a 20lb tuna, if that?

I'm hoping to do some tuna fishing in the mediterranean or catch some blue shark, porbeagle shark in the near future. A few nice porbeagles have been caught recently in UK and Irish waters.

The biggest mekong catfish I have caught was 200lbs. It was very exciting on the Abu 6500 size reel. I was chasing it up and down the bank for 40 minutes. I now use stronger equipment but the light stuff is so much fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts