Bulky Surf Rod to Light Weight Popping Rod Conversion

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by red34, Jan 2, 2009.

1. red34

red34 Guest

I took an Outer Banks Outfitters CP9SCT 9' Power Stick Graphite Surf Rod that I had sitting around not being used. I cut about 2 ft off the butt section to make the OAL 7'3" and converted it into a butt joint 2-piece popping rod.

I had added a few guides to give it a more parabolic shape, but it was very heavy. With the old reel seat and cork tape, and 2 guides stripped off, it weighs about 1/3 of what it used to. All I need are new grips and a new reel seat and it's good to go.

The rod I was going to build was probably going to be about $120 and these components are only going to be about $20. It's a little lighter in rating than I wanted to build, but that's really the only problem. So the way I see it, if it works cool and if not, no harm done since I wasn't using the rod anyway.

Here it is chopped to 7'3" and the butt completely stripped

[​IMG]

When I finish with it you won't have any idea that it is and Outer Banks Rod

[​IMG]

2. red34

red34 Guest

I've got the handle section finished and another guide removed from the tip section. I used my 50# OTI as a refrence guide for cutting the blank and guide placement/removal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final cost was a rod I wasn't using anyway, about $20 in the handle assembly, and some time.

3. red34

red34 Guest

Here it is with the reel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little bit of new flexcoat and some decorative trimming and it'll be finished and you'd never know it was a factory wrapped surf rod. I've pulled on it a little and it's not gonna dead lift much weight, but it should be perfect for tossing a light weight lure like a sluggo or a live bait to schooling kings, bft, or mahi.

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i had thought about doing that with a purglas blank i have. it would make a decent light set up, but decided against it because i didnt know what kind of pressure i could put on it(high performance but thin walled). most surf rods are designed for mono or light braid and the long rod absorbs alot of pressure. looks good, hope it works for you. follow up with the performance. i might still convert mine later on.

5. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Great job on your OBX rod conversion. Here was a conversion I did to a few of my OBX trolling rods. Stripped off the decal and did a feather inlay. The picture shows a before and after. One of the rods I haven't done yet, and one that has been modified.

[​IMG]

6. red34

red34 Guest

i had thought about doing that with a purglas blank i have. it would make a decent light set up, but decided against it because i didnt know what kind of pressure i could put on it(high performance but thin walled). most surf rods are designed for mono or light braid and the long rod absorbs alot of pressure. looks good, hope it works for you. follow up with the performance. i might still convert mine later on.

Yea there's a chance this thing could explode on me. Hope not!! But who knows until you try right?:)

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member