building tuna poppers

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by joesfishinproblem, Aug 4, 2009.

1. hey guys anyone here plug builders... i am i make mostly stiper plugs but would like to make some tuna poppers....my question is wat do u guys like in a popper for tuna i.e. weight, how long, wat colors, and wat kind of hooks....thanks jfp

when i get enough info i will put some up for testers...

2. red34

red34 Guest

3. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

somewhere between 3-4oz. I personally like the smaller poppers. Get creative on the colors. Owner ST66 3/0 hooks. good cup for make lots of noise. Thru wired.

4. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

There is a popper that RI Popper on another site has come up with and i think is a possible winner. All single hooks and a very innovative double side rigging. This is like what is available out there except for the double hook rigging which I think is a first. The biggest thing is rigging them to be string enough to handle 200+ lb. tuna which will test how good you are with your plug making real quick....:)

THE Offshore POPPER Feed me!! - Page 2

5. There is a popper that RI Popper on another site has come up with and i think is a possible winner. All single hooks and a very innovative double side rigging. This is like what is available out there except for the double hook rigging which I think is a first. The biggest thing is rigging them to be string enough to handle 200+ lb. tuna which will test how good you are with your plug making real quick....:)

THE Offshore POPPER Feed me!! - Page 2

thanks for the feed back fellas....albie i checked that site out and i can do that no problem and matbe make a bigger cup for the mouth and maybe a bubbler hole too....would you have a use for one or two of these to test out when i finsh a few in about 2 weeks or so...

j.f.p

6. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

I'll be on the OTI Big E trip in November if you want me to try'em out for you :D

7. I'll be on the OTI Big E trip in November if you want me to try'em out for you :D

sure pm me ur info and as soon as they are done u got one...wat colors do u want

8. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

thanks for the feed back fellas....albie i checked that site out and i can do that no problem and matbe make a bigger cup for the mouth and maybe a bubbler hole too....would you have a use for one or two of these to test out when i finsh a few in about 2 weeks or so...

j.f.p

Absolutely I would love to give them the on the water torture test. Hooking up would be the biggest challenge for sure. Just make sure they are constructed with very heavy duty rigging as these fish will destroy anything subpar in the blink of an eye.

9. TheSwab

TheSwab Senior Member

What the hell Joe? Where are mine? :D You have never even seen a real tuna till you met me :D

10. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Joe if you want to get some feedback before that I will be on a 56 hr in september. I could pass the off to mike when when all join up on the Big E.:D

11. What the hell Joe? Where are mine? :D You have never even seen a real tuna till you met me :D

i know you are just gonna steal them from me anyways so i figured i would surprise u bee och :eek:

12. TheSwab

TheSwab Senior Member

Hahaha :D I got 50 bucks for that VS ;)

That still makes me sick to my stomach when you bring that up :(