360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there are any popping rods that are in the 7-7.5' range for targeting 100lb+ bluefin. I think I found my solution which is the calstar 700H, but I am curious if I overlooked any other suitable blanks. I'm looking to spen less than $200 for the build.

G

·
well if you build it and get cheaper components and dealer pricing on blanks you can prob do it for $200. The budget OTI rods released later this year will be around that price range as well - though if you want one this week that isnt going to help you.

G

·
I built this on an OTI 7'6" 50# Popping blank. Fuji BMNAG guides, American reel seat and matching gimbal, and custom cut/shaped grips. All for under $200. I acuually built the handle and wrapped the guides with the aid of a notched out cardboard box and a book as a thread tension device. I did it in one night in a hotel room on a business trip so this build was really on the cheap, but I think it looks great. It was also my first marbling endeavor.

I do have a wholesale account with Mudhole for the components and I live down the street from TJ for the OTI blank so that helped me save a little, but it could easily be done for less than $220.

Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts